Samsung forum

Question

Samsung compatable external HDD's

Hi,

First post on here...so be gentle!

I am wanting to move my DVD collection to a Hard Disk Drive and attach this to the back of my TV...can any of you guys give any advice on the best HDD drive to buy that will be compatible with my Samsung TV.

Many thanks in advance.

Yorkiebobb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung compatable external HDD's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung compatable external HDD's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Many hurdles.

In reply to: Samsung compatable external HDD's

While it matters which TV it is, not one can play say the old .ISO of a DVD from a HDD today. You have to encode the title just so and Samsung to date is not supplying a tool to do what you asked.

I suggest you forget this and look at the WD Live player which can support 2 and maybe higher TB drives. WD Live is far more capable than any smart tv I've seen yet.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: compatible with TV

In reply to: Samsung compatable external HDD's

That depends on the model and possibly the firmware version.

What does your user manual say about:
- USB2 or USB3?
- maximum capacity (in GB)?
- video formats it can play (like: can it play an dvd-image?)
- partition types (GPT, MBR) supported?
- file system type(s) supported (FAT32, NTFS, Mac, Linux)?
- maximum power use of the disk supported by 1 USB port and by 2 (using an Y-cable) - if it uses more you need a powered hub

When in doubt first ask Samsubg customer service, then just to be sure the sales person in the shop for a warranty that you can exchange it if it doesn't work.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!