Peripherals forum

General discussion

Samsung CLP 600 streaky printing

by fsa259 / October 2, 2010 10:11 AM PDT

My aforementioned printer is printing with magenta and cyan streaks and blobs. Theyre in the same place in each page Ive printed.

I understand I need to clean the printer somehow, but having never done it, could someone point me to a reputable guide online instead of the myriad I find through google?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung CLP 600 streaky printing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung CLP 600 streaky printing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Willy / October 3, 2010 10:01 AM PDT

In most cases for laser printers where a streak or missing area is found, its the toner cart or path where it sits. Remove the toner(s) and shake them well, side-to-side and return. It may have a wiper to clean/swipe the toner film area, use it. Test for output, if the missing area goes away, good, if not and returns or jumps to another area, then the damage is located on the toner cart film, part of the toner cart. The fix is to replace the problem toner cart whatever, color it seems to be. The only other possible source, is the paper path has found an obstruction that either damages the toner cart or causes loss of toner of the area is question. Closely inspect and verify the paper path of exposed area when the toner is removed, there should be a clean path and/or be free of anything, use the test output to give a clue to search at. like right side, etc.. Last, all of the above is OK, but during final phase of printed where it is "fused" the fuser assy. has missing or damaged surface area, replace. Your best bet is to hope for a toner cart, thus replace. If anything else other than what's explained here, the cost will effect repair or whole replacement of printer.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by fsa259 / October 3, 2010 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Inspect...

Thanks for your reply.

Upon inspection, I found the following:
*The magenta cartridge's green film had stray toner sprinkled on it. I don't know of a wiper on the cartridge....
*There was a pile of black and magenta toner on the bottom plastic panel.
*The transfer belt had streaks of magenta and black all down it.

Is this where I take out the lint-free cloth and wipe clean?

I am still unsure what to do to inspect the paper path...remove all the toners and look for what, exactly? Although the problem isnt that there are missing areas on the page....everything prints out with a magenta and black streaky overlay.

Many thanks for your time.

Collapse -
I suspect...
by Willy / October 3, 2010 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Inspected

The toner cart film(mylar) should have a minor coating of toner but not excessive. The piles of toner you've noticed need to be cleaned out, do the best you can, either vacuum or blow out. That film if it has a scratch or is damaged, that's where the missing print is generated from. If you can't clean or wipe down the film with a "supplied wiper" then don't use anything that can damage it. If you find the film is damaged, then no amount of cleaning will do, REPLACE that toner cart. Still clean the area of any "spilled toner". Th wipe maybe part of the toner cart.(unfamiliar with all printers) it's exposed handle, you slide it back and forth a few times. Damage to the film is where the general color of film(green?) is exposing shiny aluminum/metallic) that is a damaged area. Quite frankly, if what you described is present, just replace the toner cart(s). as needed. There is no end-user fix for a damaged cart but replace.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
will do
by fsa259 / October 5, 2010 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: I suspect...

Thanks Willy.

The mylar (ive learnt something new) is bright green on all four metallic bits shining through, so i presume theyre all fine. There are no levers I could easily find on these cartridges...perhaps theyre not sophisticated enough.

Is lint free cloth, the standard yellow ones used for waxing cars etc, okay to clean the interior of the excess toner?

What about the transfer belt? That has streaky magenta and black toner deposits on it....

To be honest, there are less streaky bits on the demo pages now than a few days ago....maybe I just need to send lots of documents through on scrap paper to clean it out?

Ill have to buy more cartridges then, if its not a simple issue of stray toner deposits. Theyre more heavy on the bottom of the page than the top, if that helps isolate areas?

Collapse -
by Willy / October 6, 2010 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: will do

There are so-called maint. sheets that supposedly catch excess toner or help remove toner build-up along the paper path. However, you should clean by vacuuming or scooping those excessive piles found. If you have access, use air blower(gun) to blow out those excess piles of tiners, but be sure you're blowing dust elsewhere within the printer!!! I still suggest you take toner carts. and shake them well, side-to-side to help break-up int. globs or hard toner. If this is the 1st toner used in the printer, then its time as what is left are caked or clods of toner left. Any paper towels, whether lint-free or not can be considered a "rough texture" and these will cause marks on any cleaning of surface, scratches, not good. use of a soft hair brush should be preferred. Using all the above methods will help but again, if the toner cart is damaged, no amount of cleaning will do. You can manually rotate the toner gears and notice the full mylar film for any damage, to include where they seat as well within the printer, that's the other half of operation. This is left up to you as I can't see there.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
lot of improvement
by fsa259 / October 10, 2010 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Review

Thanks for the tips, Willy. I cleaned the excess deposits of toner and manually rotated the mylar film to make sure all 4 were intact (which they are). B&W printouts now only have some faint streaks...not the bright magenta bits like before. But colour printouts still have some bright bits on the bottom of the page...

Last thing to try is to buy new toner cartridges, right?

Collapse -
by Willy / October 10, 2010 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: lot of improvement

That's pretty much it. What it appears you've done helps on output, but the magenta is some way isn't 100%. Stray toner gets into the final output and thus it leaves the that toner cart into the fray. Keep all tips/hints in mind as time goes by. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
salvaging toners
by fsa259 / March 17, 2011 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Correct

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I resorted to buying new toner cartridges. Printing is fine now, but is there any way of salvaging the toner in the faulty cartridges? They were all at least half full and seems like such a waste to dispose of.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?