Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung CEC(Anynet+)

by Jim Houston / July 8, 2010 12:59 AM PDT

I have a Samsung rear projection HDTV (HLS 5087W) which is the video display for my home theater system. I recently installed a new receiver, a Pioneer vsx 1019 ahk, into the system, and almost immediately, started realizing a problem: the TV would periodically and spontaneously turn itself off, for no apparent reason (i.e., I didn't touch my universal remote, a Harmony model one, or even have it pointing at the TV). There was no set pattern to this phenomena, either in the frequency or the length time between occurrences. Since the new guy in my system is the Pioneer AVR, I suspected that it was the culprit in causing the problem. I consequently turned off the Pioneer Kurolink function, which I came to find out, is the AVR's CEC function. Since this didn't fix the problem, I consulted with an acquaintance who is (Hopefully) knowlegable about these things, and he advised that I should turn off the CEC on all of my HDMI equipped devices. Investigation revealed that Samsung's CEC is Anynet+. Finally, here are my questions:
1. Does my TV (HLS 5087w) have the CEC feature? (I am unable to find mention of "Anynet" in my manual, although I did find directions for programming the remote to control other devices.)
2. Assuming there is a CEC feature, how do I access it on the TV menu to turn it off?
3. If I do turn it off, will this negatively impact my universal remote's ability to control the TV?

Thanks in advance for your reply--feel free to provide any info to considerations I didn't ask about.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung CEC(Anynet+)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung CEC(Anynet+)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung CEC(Anynet+)
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 8, 2010 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung CEC(Anynet+)

Jim Houston,

There is no Anynet+ or CEC control, so that shouldn't be causing the issue. However, even if there was and you did, it wouldn't affect your remote. CEC sends an additional signal (along with audio and video) for controls, such as volume, power on, etc. The programmable remotes like you have are very versatile and customizable.

If this symptom doesn't happen with component cables, then it will likely be an issue with the receiver or the cable. Removing the receiver, and assuming everything else works okay, it may be an incompatibility with the receiver.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung CEC(Anynet+)
by Jim Houston / July 8, 2010 6:43 AM PDT

Thanks very much for your definitive reply re the CEC--I was very hopeful that this was the source of the problem, so I am trudging back to square one.
Per your suggestion, I'll try connecting the TV to the receiver via component cables, and see whether that alleviates the problem. Re: the possibility that the cable is the problem, I am currently using an el-cheapo HDMI cable ($2.00 from Monoprice)as my interconnect between my TV and My AVR, in the belief that HDMI cables are rather generic. I would be interested in your opinion re. whether using a cheap HDMI cable is a bad, or very bad, idea.
Thanks again for your response

Collapse -
Samsung CEC(Anynet+)
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 8, 2010 10:47 AM PDT

Jim Houston,

Cables, particularly ones that carry a digital signal, will either work really well, or not at all. The inbetween is drop-outs and flaws, although it's nice to not have static issues. The beauty of digital signals is that you don't need gold-plated wiring on the inside like you would with an analog cable. I mean, you could have it if you wanted, but at the end of the day, the 1's and 0's have to reach their destination. If they do, then you're good.

One important note is that 1.3a or higher is something that I'd personally recommend, and high speed rated cable is also a strong recommendation. It's likely that you may have a lower rated/speed of cable, which would explain why it's cheap. However, in most cases, a direct connection from peripheral-to-TV should still result in most of the features you're looking for, even if the cable is "an el-cheapo".

That said, there's the other side of the spectrum where people pay top dollar for name brand cables. Doing so does offer a few benefits, one of them being a life-time warranty, depending on the company.

When you do a pass-through through a receiver, there are several variables that go into play.

1. Cable speed. You want a high-speed cable for any pass through device.
2. The receiver should be able to pass through 1080p. Some do a better job than others.
3. Ultimately you may be best served running Blu-Ray directly to the TV via HDMI, and running the audio through a digital optical cable to the receiver.

I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Ongoing problem with spontaneous tv shutdown
by Jim Houston / July 9, 2010 12:51 PM PDT

Per advisement of someone on the avs forum, there is apparently a well-known problem of HLS xx87w tv's shutting down due to poor contact of a safety switch on the Lamp door. I am going to attempt to fix it tomorrow (I previously changed the lamp without incident)--hope springs eternal! In any case, thanks once again for your help.

Collapse -
Anynet+ with home theatre
by Markowens88 / September 28, 2011 12:08 AM PDT

Please help!

Collapse -
Anynet+ with home theatre
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 28, 2011 6:26 AM PDT

Markowens88,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.