Samsung forum

Rant

SAMSUNG CAPACITOR PROBLEMS ON LCD TV'S

by PRYAN76018 / July 11, 2012 10:49 AM PDT

I purchase three Samsung LCD TV's on 09/27/08 and subsequently got a recall notice about the capacitor problems which is well known and documented all over the internet. I had Samsung send a service technician out to my house to check out all three of the TV's. He told me that each unit was operating normally. I now have a problem that my 52" model will not turn on. Their customer service department tells me that it is most certainly a capacitor problem and again referred me to the same service company. I was told to call Samsung back to get a "capacitor consent" which I did. The service company subsequently called me back to say that Samsung is disallowing my claim. Apparently, the unit in question is two months older than those covered under the recall.
Samsung is not making an exception even though
#1 They readily admit it is the same problem that has affected so many thousands of their units.
#2 They previously had a service technician look at the unit for the same problem
#3 I bought three units on the same day, one of which apparently sat on the sales floor two months too long.
#4 I spent over 3 hours with their customer service (?) department and received contrary information from three different people. (I was disconnected twice.)
#5 They refused to make an exception in my case, even though if you research the problem on line, you'll see that they have made many exceptions in the past.

Considering how pervasive the problem is you'd think they would make an exception based on common sense and the fact that I bought three of their TV's on the same day.

From now on I will never buy another Samsung product

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMSUNG CAPACITOR PROBLEMS ON LCD TV'S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMSUNG CAPACITOR PROBLEMS ON LCD TV'S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What recall?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 10:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Response to Bob
by PRYAN76018 / July 11, 2012 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: What recall?

Bob,
I got a recall notice in the mail after I bought the 3 TV's. What I have discovered today is that Samsung acknowledges that the problem I've encountered with my 52" TV is the same as the one they sent the recall out for and is the same one which prompted the class action suit and subsequent settlement. But they said my TV's manufacture date was two months before the one's covered in the suit and they would therefore would not extend the warranty. It's interesting that upon researching this problem on line, I've discovered countless others with the same problem and many of them seem to have been ultimately satisfied. Samsungs customer service appears to be very arbitrary and lacking.

The link you provided seems to be Samsung's customer service and I have to wonder why you'd send me there when I've spent countless hours dealing with their representatives today. Some of them indicate I should be taken care of, others do not.

I have to wonder....Are you under contract to Samsung?

Collapse -
Didn't want to upset you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Response to Bob

And no contract but as an electronics designer that has run into so many things with BAD CAPS (see google?) I can only hope you try the link I gave.

You may have spent time with other reps but we have one more place to try. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.