General discussion

Samsung - Buyers beware - TV will be obsolete in 1 year

I bought Samsung LN40B750 TV, in Feb 2010, it was supposed to be a decent TV with Internet and All promising upgrade as well, and now I discovered that just 1 year old model does not work with the 2010 apps, they change the whole core technology (Widgets to Apps) - you do not see any new widget for months, at ever comes across is crap.... For example you cannot install Netflix in a year old model, I phone remote does not work etc. there are no firmware upgrades either. Customer rep was more interested to see the new Blue ray player to me got get such feature. Buyer beware, Samsung purchase will give you frustration. Its engineer does not design with future in mind, so 2010 model will be obsolete in 2011. Firmware upgrade etc or any upgrade is illusion they build for marketing.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung - Buyers beware - TV will be obsolete in 1 year
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung - Buyers beware - TV will be obsolete in 1 year
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sadly well known.

Those apps are not from Samsung but are maintained by Netflix and others. It's a shame Netflix and other companies bail on this.
Bob

- Collapse -
how about the aaps by samsung

the iphone app is developed by samsung Electronics Co Ltd.. and it says supported model as LCD 650 or higher .. still does not work on LCD 750

- Collapse -
I've seen that happen.

The web pages get out of date fast. That is, when the web page came online that statement was true. Now it's not.

Report it so they can get it corrected.
Bob

- Collapse -
I have the same problem.....

I got my TV in September of 2009. Oh it was supposed to be wonderful and Samsung was going to continue to update the widgets to have more things the TV could do. Then they changed the format from widgets to apps and it is so sorry we don't develope things for that anymore. Enjoy, but you wont get anything new.

- Collapse -
Samsung - Buyers beware - TV will be obsolete in 1 year

Asterix-007,

Having an analog tuner in the U.S. would make the TV obsolete.

Not delivering tomorrow's technology into yesterday's TV is a struggle for all manufacturers. Technology moves on. I'm sorry you were promised specific widgets, but that message was likely delivered by an over-enthusiastic salesperson, and not Samsung.

The point is that we do offer those options and if you want them, it's not necessary to purchase an entire TV.

I think someone pointing you towards the Blu-Ray players that DO have the new 2010 Apps wasn't unreasonable.

I don't know about the iPhone remote. I've asked several times about that, but haven't received any information.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Yahoo widget support

Sorry to bore on about this, but I recently became aware that Yahoo widgets are supported on North American (US?) C-series TV models, alongside the Internet@TV apps. This is from the C650 manual downloaded from the US site:
"Internet@TV provides an integrated Internet and television experience powered by the Yahoo!? Widget Engine."
The interface seems exactly the same as for B-series Internet@TV. I'm guessing this was forced on Samsung by commercial interests such as the movie-rental companies who already had widgets running on the US Yahoo platform. No-one (apart from us customers) made a fuss in Europe, so they were able to drop Yahoo on new European models.

@Bob: I think the reasons developers have bailed on widget development is down to confusion or frustration over Samsung's approach. Why would they waste time submitting projects to Samsung for approval when the new TVs won't support them (except in the US)?

CNET Forums

Forum Info