Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Buffering

by swaltman / October 28, 2014 1:17 AM PDT

I see there have been a number of problems with the Samsung TV stopping to buffer. In our house we have a number of devices that stream video from Amazon Prime, none of them have a problem where they stop to buffer, only the Samsung HDTV - has anyone heard what I can try to fix this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Buffering
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Buffering
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see a lot of chatter about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Buffering

If the usual fails then make it a warranty issue.

The usual are:
1. Set the date/time in the TV.
2. Use the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
3. Use a wired connection.

These are the usual so I've stopped supplying links about them. There's also the net neutrality issue but that's not a Samsung issue. And let's not go over why the Samsung is hit when other devices are not. Take that to Sam and the ISP next as I've heard plenty.
Bob

Collapse -
Not a warranty issue
by -LS7- / October 28, 2014 9:59 AM PDT

My hat is off to you Proffitt for all your attempts at resolving issues that get posted to this forum. This issue however, is one that changing DNS servers or warranty claims will not fix. My smart TV is going on 4 years old now so warranty is not possible. This issue has become a hot topic on many forums dealing with Samsung. It has been mentioned on one forum that everybody open a service ticket on the problem but in my opinion that would just hurt the people who have problems that can be fixed through support. This issue began for many a week or so ago. The buffering problem being experienced is solely a problem with the Samsung Smart network which Samsung has been notoriously lazy about repairing in the past. I also believe that support isn't aware that the network is the problem which is why none of their fixes are working. This is not the first time I've had an issue with the network, but this is definitely the longest time it has gone unresolved. That lead me to originally believe that this time it might be the TV. Not so, it's happening to too many people, on many different year models of Smart TVs, at the same time. This is one that only Samsung can fix when they finally admit that the problem is on their end (once again with their network).

Thanks for the tip on the Amazon fire stick. I did pre-order it but wish it would get here before 12/24. Can't wait to get it though.

Collapse -
It was worth a shot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a warranty issue

The problems with Samsung not "owning" the apps is going to haunt them and buyers for years. No consumer I know knows this is not unlike a Windows PC from Dell that won't run some app. Where does the needle point for that one? Dell, Microsoft, the app's author? Now imagine if it's locked down worse than a welded down street cover. (that's the smart TV!) We can't change the app so we wait for Amazon and Samsung to fix it and re-issue the app.

On top of that, at 4 years I wonder if they remember how to make the app and more. It's not a platform like Linux, Android, WIndows, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
It's worth a shot
by -LS7- / October 28, 2014 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: It was worth a shot.

Exactly the problem. Don't get me going on Microsoft lol. Anyways, you're absolutely correct. It's in my opinion, a control issue. I believe though that if an entity offers something and uses it as a selling future, they should, without exception, support that item. This proverbial passing of the buck should not be allowed to happen, but unfortunately it does and it's the consumer that suffers.
Up here where I live, the state holds companies who sell here to a different standard. A 1 year warranty is actually a 4 year warranty. A few other states do this too. It's a way of telling these companies that if you want to sell something here, you're dam well going to support it.

Collapse -
Samsung's been busy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2014 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: It's worth a shot
Collapse -
Samsung Buffering
by skyscooter / December 31, 2014 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: Not a warranty issue

Just chiming in. I have a brand new Samsung Smart TV. We tried accessing Amazon Prime and after the first 3 buffering segments, we turned it off. I will report it to Samsung, but you mentioned the Fire Stick. Mine is on order, due in Feb., but can you tell me if using the Stick with the TV will work around the pre-loaded app. Thanks much.

Collapse -
Samsung Buffering
by skyscooter / January 3, 2015 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Buffering

Update: Samsung tech. spt. acknowledged the issue and said they have had numerous complaints. I was handed off to 3 different people; reset DNS to 8.8.8.8; did remote support and hard reset. Two hrs. later was promised a call from Tier 2, Product Support person between 9 - 9:30 a.m. which never came through. Called again, and was rescheduled for tomorrow. I have 3 transaction numbers so far. I hope there won't be a fourth.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?