Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung bluray players that streams Netflix Canada

WHAT SAMSUNG MODELS STREAM NETFLIX IN CANADA ???????

DOES THE SAMSUNG BD-5500 STREAM NETFLIX AND IF NOT WHAT OTHERS???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung bluray players that streams Netflix Canada
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung bluray players that streams Netflix Canada
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NETFLIX CANADA

In reply to: Samsung bluray players that streams Netflix Canada

I WAS TOLD BY TECH SUPPORT THAT THERE WHERE MODELS THAT WERE NOW STREAMING NETFLIX CANADA BUT I CALLED LOCAL STORES AND SAMSUNG TECH SUPPORT AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY COULD NOT HELP ME SO I CALLED AND ASKED NETFLIX ONCE AGAIN TO MAKE SURE THAT IF I BUY THE BD-5500 THAT IT WOULD STREAM NETFLIX CANADA SO CAN YOU CONFIRM WITH ME IS NETFLIX CAN STREAM ON THE BLURAY PLAYERS THAT NETFLIX HAS TOLD ME TOLD ME THAY WOULD!!!

Collapse -

skyblunetflix,

At the moment, I don't have any confirmation on which, if any, or when Netflix streaming will be available for Canadian customers. As soon as the information is made available to me, I'll be happy to post a thread in the forums about the details.

--HDTech

Collapse -
netflix canada

so why does netflix canada confirm that samsung is now able to stream netflix!!! is netflix canada ahead of samsung canada app release date???

Collapse -
Samsung Tech Suport Today

In reply to: netflix canada

I just got off the phone with Samsung tech support re my BD-p3600. They say that there will be a special download that will allow the netflix service to work on canadian devices. Timing is for some time in October.

Collapse -
Netflix issue BDP 3800 XAC version

In reply to: Samsung Tech Suport Today

netflix icon or any other streaming icons seen even after firmware 2.13 in Dec 2010. Samsung sells these players tellingthat streaming is available, but actually they do not have any clue when the update will be published that will open netflix and otherr streaming in Canada models.

Collapse -
Samsun Blu-ray Support

I'm a little disappointed with Samsung's support of Netflix Canada as well, especially since they were announced as an official support vendor when Netflix launched here.

There IS a Samsung player that currently DOES support Netflix Canada that I know of, it's BD-C6500. Just go to your Internet TV section in the menu and the Netflix icon should update there.

Unfortunately my other Samsung BD-P4600 still hasn't had any updates and there is no information on the Samsung website. When I called tech support they had no idea when the 3600/4600 players would be supported Sad

Collapse -

Hi skyblunetflix,

I am using a BD-C5500 bluray player for Netflix in Canada. The netflix app will show up when you do a FW upgrade (online upgrade). See manual for details.

Collapse -
bdc5500 does not support netflix at this time

I have had a long conversation with both Samsung and Netflix about this model streaming netflix. I bought the bdc5500 in the states because i knew it supported netflix and knew that netflix was coming to Canada. When I first checked the apps in July it showed the Netflix app in the menu but we still had no Netflix in Canada yet. So in September when Netflix launched I turned on my blu-ray only to find the app missing from the menu. I email Samsung and they told me that Netflix was responsible for the app on their device. I thought this was silly, so I called netflix. They advised me that yes the bdc5500 was on their compatible devices list but they were not responsible for the app and that they had had a few calls about this. So I emailed Samsung back and the rep that replied told me that the bdc5500 does not support Netflix because their website and owners manual state that it does not. I replied to him with a picture of the box and the one month trial card that came in the box. I also included about a dozen reviews from numerous online pblications talking about how the bdc5500 supports netflix. I never heard back from Samsung. So a week later I called Samsung and spoke to some rep who confirmed that yes the bdc5500 supports Netflix just not in Canada yet. They are working on firmware. So as of today october 10 no Netflix on bdc5500 yet.

Collapse -
Netflix Canada DOES work on the BD-C5500

In reply to: bdc5500 does not support netflix at this time

Bought the BD-C5500 (today) mainly for the reason that it was supposed to work with Netflix Canada - and works great after some initial problems - the auto update doesn't find Netflix and the update has to be installed by USB key. The file can be found here (Click on Firmware): http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=03020100&prd_mdl_cd=BD-C5500C%2FXAA&prd_mdl_name=BD-C5500C&prd_ia_sub_class_cd=P

Unzip the file, put in on a USB, plug it in the player, wait until update is done and player shuts down and you are good to go. The next time you enter the internet apps it will install Netflix automatically.

Quality is great, works like a charm, no lag, perfect picture and sound (after initial 10 seconds of loading time at beginning of new program)

Collapse -
Nice Post

In reply to: bdc5500 does not support netflix at this time

I have the same unit bought here in Canada. If you ever get it figured out please update me
mike_nelson@telus.net.

Collapse -
bdc5500 netflix support

In reply to: Nice Post

You need to update the f/w via pc and usb drive. I could not get the 5500 to connect to the samsung server for an online update.

Download the f/w upgrade zip file from samsung, unzip the file to a usb drive and insert the usb drive into the samsung blueray. After updating the f/w you should be able to access netflix application.

Collapse -
FW upgrade

i have tried this and it does not work still

Collapse -
Other models

The online user manual for my HT-BD1250 shows that it supports Netflix...on the Samsung US site. But the Canadian site only says it supports YouTube. It looks like the hard work has already been done - let's have updated firmware!

Collapse -
disgusted with samsung support on this bdc-5500 netflix issu

In reply to: Other models

I should not have to spend so much time looking for a simple answer as to why the bdc-5500 has no netflix in Canada. From my other posts you can see what I have gone through talking to reps through email and phone who either do not know anything or basically lie about everything. I'm actually lucky in the fact that netflix is coming to my xbox soon so I will have one device that actually does what it is advertised to do. Again I am appalled that no one from Samsung can come out and tell us, the owners of their product what the deal is with this compatibility issue.

Collapse -
Netflix is Now working in Canad on this model

In reply to: disgusted with samsung support on this bdc-5500 netflix issu

Just thought I'd update this thread to show that netflix is now working for the BD-C5500 in Canada. It was far from a smooth setup however. The device could use the internet fine but the automatic firmware update process could not connect to samsung servers and left the device hanging in the update process for hours. I was able to escape the update state by simply unplugging the device, unplugging the internet connection and then turning it back on, it aborts to main menu when the network adapter is inactive.
The USB update worked for me after about 8 to 10 attempts with different files from the samsung support site all for model# beginning with BD-C5500. If I were an average user, probably would have just returned it in frustration before that point. I was determined to make it work as it was my third player brought home from futureshop for netflix. (Futureshop is useless accept for large things you can't ship cheaply yourself, unless you like to pay extra for stuff and receive advice of random accuracy.)

After the update, netflix was a service available for setup under internet tv.
Contrary to the manual (which was not updated for Canadian relevance) the firmware update was found here: http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=03020100&prd_mdl_cd=BD-C5500C%2FXAA&prd_mdl_name=BD-C5500C&prd_ia_sub_class_cd=P

Collapse -
Another Netflix enabled BD-C5500

In reply to: Netflix is Now working in Canad on this model

I'd like to add my newly acquired BD-C5500T to the list of Samsung Blu-ray players that's Netflix enabled by updating to firmware version 1020.1 released on the 27/12/10. As mentioned in earlier postings, a USB stick was used to carry out the upgrade. Make sure there is no disk in the player, insert the memory stick into the USB port found on the right side of the front face. After the memory stick's contents is read for proper firmware, you'll be ask if you wish to update the software. Select OK, wait a few minutes making sure there's no interruptions until the whole process is completed successfully. You'll find Netflix ready to be added to your internet apps.
Enjoy.

Collapse -
BD6500 not ready for Netflix??

In reply to: Another Netflix enabled BD-C5500

Not sure if others have had this problem also but when I try to activate the device above and enter the code it stay there until the unit tell you that it cannot be activated. The Netflix page is also showing that the activation is only good for Continental US and will not work in Canada. I was able to get my Wii activated to find that any movie that I selected to view are returning an error and that I should call Netflix to get support on this. Very frustrating as I am a new member of Netflix for the last two weeks and was unable to watch anything yet. Does the activation of your devices gave you problems. What? What did you do to resolved?

Thanks,
an

Collapse -
BD6500 not ready for Netflix??

In reply to: BD6500 not ready for Netflix??

ZFrenchy,

Was the Blu-Ray player purchased from a Canadian retailer? Or US retailer? It makes a difference, since Netflix Canada is different than Netflix U.S.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Netflix as an app

In reply to: BD6500 not ready for Netflix??

I have a UN55c7000 (I think) TV and as a reccomended app it says netflix but nothing happens when I click on it. Is it available?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!