General discussion

Samsung Blue Ray DVD - no audio when streaming Netflix- Help

I have a Samsung BD-P2500/2550 Blu-ray Player that streams movies directly from Netflix. Recently the audio has stopped working. I can watch a DVD on the Blu-ray with audio just fine, but when I stream a movie from Netflix directly, the video is there, but there is no audio. It's been like this for three days. I called Netflix directly and they have never heard of this issue, nor do they know how to fix it. Audio is set up for PCM. Can you please help? Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung Blue Ray DVD - no audio when streaming Netflix- Help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung Blue Ray DVD - no audio when streaming Netflix- Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Samsung Blue Ray DVD - no audio when streaming Netflix- Help

moxie23,

Try de-activating and the re-activating your link between the player and Netflix's online service. This may do the trick.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
THIS DOES NOT WORK. NEED FIRMWARE UPDATE!

THE BLU-RAY PLAYERS NEED FIRMWARE UPDATES. THERE IS NO WAY AROUND IT. THEY PLAY SOUND WITH EVERY APPLICATION EXCEPT NETFLIX. NETFLIX WILL ONLY PLAY SOUNDS AFTER ANOTHER APPLICATION IS LAUNCHED! PLEASE FIX THIS. IT IS A RIDICULOUS OVERSIGHT!

- Collapse -
Same problem

Did you ever resolve your issue...if so can you plz share how?

Thanks

- Collapse -
Samsung Blue Ray DVD - no audio when streaming Netflix

I had this issue as well after the last Netflix software update a few days back. I have found a workaround that seems to do work however.

Exit Netflix and open Pandora Radio app. Once the sound starts playing in Pandora, exit and go back to Netflix and you should have sound when you start streaming a movie.

- Collapse -
Same Netflix Samsung issue

I'm having the same problem with my new BD-C6800, and find that once audio is first started with a disc or with Pandora, then the audio will work correctly with Netflix streaming. This seems like a firmware fix, so if Samsung is listening.......

- Collapse -
Netflix Samsung Sound Issue

Wow - Thanks! We just hooked up our new plasma TV with Samsung Blue Ray and were also unable to hear sound when streaming Netflix. I tried the work-around suggested here (starting audio through Pandora first) and are now able to hear sound through Netflix. Thank You!!! What is the problem here? Is it an issue with Netflix or with Samsung? Does anyone know if anybody is working to fix the problem? Thanks again to all for help with our problem!!!!

- Collapse -
Netflix Samsung Sound Issue

bbconnerbbconner,

What model do you have?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Samsung Sound Issue...and Netflix Starz Play Problems

We have a Samsung BD-C6500. Also, I am having difficulty streaming certain Netflix Movie Titles. We get a message saying, "Sorry, we are unable to play this title at this time." Through many hours of recording what we can play and what will not play, we have discovered that we are able to play all movies EXCEPT those labeled Starz Play. Any insight on what could be happening here? It is soooo frustrating!

- Collapse -
No sound with Netflix

We just bought the BD-C6500. The first day it worked fine for use with Netflix. The next day when we tried to start a movie the system did an automatic update. Now, the only way we get sound with a movie is if we start and stop a DVD first, and then go into the Netflix movie.

It sounds like a common problem. Is there a solution?

- Collapse -
wow

You really are happy for someone who has to jump thru hoops to get his/her player to work correctly.

"To get audio to work on Netflix, first stand on your head, take a shot of Jack, dance the hokey-pokey and say the magic words"

Give me a break... Help us out HD_Tech!

- Collapse -
Netflix Sound Issue

Cute!! Actually, we have been extremely frustrated. However, I admit I was pretty happy to discover that others have the same problem we do and that there is a work-around that actually works! Also, after talking with Netflix this AM, it seems that our problem with streaming Starz movies is a problem that has been reported previously and Netflix is working on a fix on their end. We were about ready to return our Samsung for a Sony, but maybe we will hang in there...

- Collapse -
Netflix Samsung DVD

Works like a charm!

Samsung in on the loop?

- Collapse -
same problem - workaround helped

I have a new 6500 w/optical audio.

Same annoying problem - almost returned the player.

Until I tried the workaround using Pandora 1st - THANKS!

- Collapse -
work around is working for me !!

THANKS to the person that posted the work-around. Samsung - you need to fix this problem... it worked properly before the last upgrade. At least own up to the issue in your support site and call center so other users can get help !!

- Collapse -
work around is working for me !!

cmccarle,

I've reported this. I'm waiting to hear if this is a Starz issue or if it's happening with other titles as well. I don't have an update to offer outside of that.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Netflix sound issue

Just for Samsung's info...I encountered the same problem after upgrade. I also do not get sound on Youtube. I called technical support. After two resets no luck. I'll try work around when I get home.

- Collapse -
It's NOT just Starz

I am now on my second BD-C6500. I returned the first one because I assumed it HAD to be a problem with the player. Nope. The second one does the same exact thing. Sure, you can start at Pandora and then go back to netflix, but what is the point?? I've spent close to $10,000 on my home theater set-up and was told this was among the better Blu-Ray players. I even bypassed the wireless and have it wired directly to my Yamaha receiver. All of the other applications work fine. Try to play Scooby Doo for my kids? No sound. No sound + big home theater bills = MAD WIFE. I have 2 other Sony Blu-Ray players in the house that stream Netflix with no problems at all. Samsung NEEDS to fix this problem.

- Collapse -
Not just Starz

Let me clarify my post about Starz... Like the rest of you, we experience the sound issue on ALL Netflix movies (not just Starz!) However, we also had a 2nd problem in that we could not get Starz movies to play at all. (No video or sound). Since that time, Netflix has fixed the problem with loading their Starz movies. However, the sound issue with Samsung continues!

- Collapse -
no audio in our house either

We've been experiencing the same problem for the last month or maybe a little longer. It happens on all Netflix movies. Sometimes if we exit the movie then wait 15 or 20 minutes the audio will come on. But typically we have to exit Netflix, go to Pandora, then back to Netflix. Also, the connection and exit time to and from Netflix seems to have increased and is pretty slow. No problem with Pandora though.

- Collapse -
Samsung BD-C6500 and no sound after firmware update

Thank you for the work-around information!! After loading a firmware update the beginning of December - 2010, our DVD player stopped having sound for Netflix only. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Netflix. Then, another 40 minutes on the phone with Samsung - both without any results. They made me think I was the only one with this issue. Good to know that I am not. I just loaded the updated firmware available as of December 27th via USB port. Even with the new firmware download, I am still having the same problem. Many thanks for the work-around. My family loves Netflix shows.

- Collapse -
Same problem!

I just purchased a Samsung BD-C6500 and tried the Netflix streaming. There was no sound, and I found that I needed to change the audio output to PCM from Bitstream. So the next day I sat down to impress my wife with the new capabilities of our BD player by watching a Netflix movie and found that there was no audio with either PCM or Bitstream. I will try the Pandora trick and report back...

- Collapse -
Same here

Add me to the list of people who's player will not play audio via Netflix. A friend of mine bought the same player at the same time and his works fine. Mine, not so much. The Pandora workaround works for me too though. It's kind of a pain, but at least it works.

Just wanted to thank the first person who listed that fix on here. I was going nuts trying to figure out why sound wasn't working.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Samsung issues a fix soon.

- Collapse -
Same problem, different fix

I got the BD6500 in December. hooked up to wireless network no prob, great sound from netflix thru optical connection. Samsung ran an update, sound went away. I had to hook up analog RCA cables to get the netflix sound. it is only analog dolby now. Very disappointed in this player and in Samsung not recognizing this problem and obviously causing it due to their recent update/fix.

C'mon Samsung! You are supposed to be one of the top dogs here. Where is your brilliant software fix for this? Your techs are not on the ball.

- Collapse -
Samsung with no sound on netflix

There are a lot of fixes here. The only one that worked for my samsung blu ray was this; i connected analog RCA cables from the output of the player to my amp. The sound for DvD's goes thru my optical output and the sound for netflix goes analog. I cannot get netflix sound thru the digital cable.

- Collapse -
similar issue

Similar issue. Tried everything suggested, but what worked for me was changing the HMDI port on the tv.

- Collapse -
This worked For Me

I spent nearly 5 hours on this but i finally got it to work, Hope this will help :
I have a 4k Lg tv hooked up to a HT-E4500Series Samsung Blue Ray with an optical audio cable. i could get audio for all other premium apps but Netflix, i factory reset the blue Ray, updated to the most recent software version which currently is 001023, the digital output is on PCM by default. found out my LG TV was not on PCM, put it on and the audio came on automatically

CNET Forums

Forum Info