Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-C6500) defaulting to Japanese

by tomwag / April 8, 2010 2:50 PM PDT

I just bought a new Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-C6500). I hooked it up to my new LG TV (HDMI) and the setup screen defaults to a Japanese character set. I have tried to display the initial language selection page by pressing "STOP" on the unit for 5 seconds but that does not work. I actually took a unit back to Best Buy and described the problem and they gave me a new one...same problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-C6500)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-C6500) defaulting to Japanese
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-C6500) defaulting to Japanese
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fixed
by tomwag / April 8, 2010 3:17 PM PDT

I was connecting via an HDMI cable...I switched to an AV cable for the setup and then switched back to HDMI once I finished the setup.

Collapse -
Fixed
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 12, 2010 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Fixed

tomwag,

Just out of curiosity - and since I'm kind of a geek that way - I'd like to replicate that if I can. Do you know the model number for your television?

Glad to hear it worked out, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

--HDTech

Collapse -
My SAMSUNG BLURAY was in JAPANESE ALSO
by 1ohioguy / October 9, 2010 1:07 PM PDT

My Samsung BluRay player was in Japanese also. I read the whole instruction manual ... tried resetting to factory defaults by holding the STOP button for 5 seconds and couldn't get to English. I was SO happy you posted on here and figured out how to correct the problem. Hooking up with coaxial cable for set up worked for mine also. But I ended up returning the player because it was a piece of junk ... I rented two BluRay discs and both caused the player to freeze during playback. Eventually play continued but it was highly irratating. When I looked closely at the DVDs I did notice a couple of TINY (almost invisible) scratches ... I rent a lot of movies and if the player can't handle a TINY scratch I knew it would be a big problem. I got a Panasonic DMPBD65 and rented a movie tonight and it player fine. The Samsung Player I had was the BDC5500 ... My TV is an LG 42LE5400 ..... P.S. Why do the BluRay players come from the factory with some of the setting for Audio and Video set on low quality?? They should set them on high quality and then if your equipment doesn't support it the people can change the setting. I wonder how many people buy a BluRay player to get the best sound and video and then never change the settings. OR MAYBE THE BEST SOLUTION IS TO SET THE SETTINGS TO THE LOW QUALITY AND THEN PUT A BIG NOTE IN THE BOX THAT SAYS TO OPTIMIZE THE QUALITY YOU MUST GO IN AND CHANGE THE SETTINGS FROM THE FACTORY DEFAULT. The manufacturers need to do something because how many people read the owners manual??? and the salesman at the electronics store didn't mention that either.

Collapse -
My SAMSUNG BLURAY was in JAPANESE ALSO
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 10, 2010 1:35 PM PDT

1ohioguy,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the BD-C550, but I'm glad to hear that you do have something that fits your needs.

The reason the settings are set on low by default is because not everyone has an HDTV, but many still want to use the Blu-Ray player and features with their current SD TV. As a result, lower resolution settings out of the box allow them to connect. If the user has a higher resolution HD setting on the player and they connect it to an SD TV, it won't show a picture or allow that customer to navigate the user settings. So, we start out low and let the customer adjust.

Also, Samsung has BD-Wise functionality, so when it's connected to a Samsung television, it automatically upconverts since the television is able to determine what the better resolution would be as the BD-Wise function connects.

Sorry you had a bad experience, though, and I hope we can earn your business in the future.

--HDTech

Collapse -
RE: DEFUALT SETTINGS ON LOW QUALITY
by 1ohioguy / October 11, 2010 3:20 AM PDT

HD Tech ... Thanks for the professional and quick reply. I understand why they have the setting programmed low from the factory. I guess I am more upset with the sales associate at the store for not telling me (and others). Many people probably buy a BluRay and don't realize they aren't fully utilizing it's capabilities. That's great that the Samsung TV and Samsung Blu-Ray player communicate to pick the best settings automatically. Thanks again for the response ... your professionalism has definitely affect my opinion in a positive way. P.S. When I returned the Blu-Ray that was in Japanese I told the sales manager and he said I was the first one to mention that problem. Maybe most people buy same brand TV and Blu-Ray or hopefully for Samsung it was just a freak occurrence.

Collapse -
RE: DEFUALT SETTINGS ON LOW QUALITY
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 11, 2010 8:15 PM PDT

1ohioguy,

I'm going to head over to my local retailer sometimes this week with my C5500 and play around a bit to see if I can get these characters to appear, since the TV is still sold in stores. Thanks for providing a model number. That's a big help.

Playing DVDs with hairline scratches, however, should not have caused the issue you described, and I'm not sure why it did.

Thanks for your kind words.

Best,

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.