Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BDP-1580 Blu Ray Player DVDR replay problems

I've just got this player, which plays DVDs very well. I am disappointed though that when it plays every DVDR of TV programmes which I have recorded on a Sony RDR-GX350 recorder, the picture is squashed - a widescreen picture looks like a 4:3, with the picture filling the screen from top to bottom, but with blank bars on each side. I am playing it through a Samsung LE37B550A5 TV. Using the picture aspect control does not cure the problem.
When I play the same DVDRs on my laptop, on a friends Playstation, or Sony Blu Ray player there is no problem.
I can't find an answer in any of the manuals, and would be grateful for help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BDP-1580 Blu Ray Player DVDR replay problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BDP-1580 Blu Ray Player DVDR replay problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung BDP-1580 Blu Ray Player DVDR replay problems

In reply to: Samsung BDP-1580 Blu Ray Player DVDR replay problems

travax,

Have you tried adjusting the picture size in both the player and the television? Aspect Ratios can be changed with either, and sometimes it's a combination of aspect ratios that may help you get the desired picture.

Also, it may depend on how the picture was recorded, and what aspect ratio it was recorded in.

--HDTech

Collapse -
dvd-r problems response

In reply to: Samsung BDP-1580 Blu Ray Player DVDR replay problems

HDTech
Thanks for your reply. The recorder has recorded the material in the correct aspect ratio, as playback on my laptop and other players is fine.
When I play the discs on the Samsung player I have tried adjusting the aspect ratio of the TV but this only makes a marginal improvement - the picture is still squashed.
I have looked at the manual for the BDP-1580 player, but cannot find out how to change the aspect ratio on the player. In the trouble shooting on p68 of the manual it states "the screen ratio is fixed on your Blu Ray discs/DVDs - this is not a problem with the player".
But why do the discs play perfectly on other players?

Collapse -
dvd-r problems response

In reply to: dvd-r problems response

travax,

It may be that the playback software on the computer is more robust, or recognizes that there's a different aspect ratio or compression that the Blu-Ray player just isn't compensating for.

I don't have an explanation on that one, unfortunately. I know it's not the answer you want, and I wish I had a suggestion, but I'm stumped on this one.

--HDTech

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!