Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BD P3600 Problem with video dropping out

by arkfsm / March 5, 2010 12:00 PM PST

I have a Samsung BD p3600, so far I have never had any problems with playing disks. My problem has been with Netflix watch it now, which has become our main use of the unit.

Periodically and without any clue as to why, when I start a watch it now movie the video will not start, the signal just drops and the TV indicates that nothing is being outputed to it and the display on the player counts like it is playing a movie.

I have switched around hdmi ports, tried different cables and inevitably, this problem will resume. Once it does it, I have to power down the player and power it back up to get it outputting again.

Sometimes I can go back and it will then play the watch it now movie I was trying to play, sometimes it will stop outputting a signal, sometimes I can start and restart 3-4 times and it will start playing the movie I was trying to play. It hits movies randomly and you never know when it will do it but it is always at the start up. Sometimes it will even start the first 3 seconds and you will see the screen then it will drop and the TV indicates it is no longer receiving a signal from the blu-ray player.

Any ideas as to what the problem is or what the solution is?

I have had this problem for a while and never addressed it however I am getting closer to the end of the warranty period and want to get it sorted out. I called customer service today and they couldn't grasp the exact problem and wanted to troubleshoot it. However that seemed pointless because it is an intermittent problem, you could change a million settings and never induce the failure or never see the failure, until I go and try to watch something on a saturday night and it will fail again.

Thanks in advance for any insight or solutions to this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD P3600 Problem with video dropping out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD P3600 Problem with video dropping out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung BD P3600 Problem with video dropping out
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 8, 2010 3:00 PM PST

arkfsm,

Have you tried updating the firmware on the unit?

You might also try removing the profile from Netflix and reset your Blu-Ray player it up with a new profile on Netflix. In some cases, this may solve the issue.

For the picture loss, have you tried changing the output resolution in the player's menu?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Changing the output resolution
by arkfsm / March 9, 2010 2:05 AM PST

I am googling how to change the output resolution.

Is that something I would need to change each and every time for different movies? Does it normally auto-detect?

Why does it sometimes work no problem with a given movie then an hour later, a day later, a week later maybe even 15 minutes later give me fits and then decide to work again 3 restarts later?

Thanks for your help

Collapse -
Changing the output resolution
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 11, 2010 12:43 PM PST

arkfsm,

No, you shouldn't have to change it constantly - perhaps just once and then it should work.

Have you updated your firmware for the player?

--HDTech

Collapse -
BD P3600
by arkfsm / March 11, 2010 1:42 PM PST

I went to the updates and it says I already have the latest firmware installed.

On the output resolution what do I change it to? Something less than 1080p?

Collapse -
BD P3600
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 11, 2010 3:03 PM PST
In reply to: BD P3600

arkfsm,

It would depend on the resolution of the TV. If the television is a 1080p set, then it should have no trouble the way it is. If it's under 1080p, it would have to down-convert a 1080p signal, and this can cause an issue. If you do have a 1080p TV and don't have any trouble with any other HD devices, the Blu-Ray player may need to be repaired.

--HDTech

Collapse -
1080P
by arkfsm / March 11, 2010 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: BD P3600

The TV is 1080P so it isn't down converting.

I think i may have mentioned it before but it just happens randomly, that is the most frustrating part because there is no indication as to what makes it drop the output signal, nor anyway to replicate it. It is just pure chance when it stops sending signal.

Collapse -
1080P
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 12, 2010 11:40 AM PST
In reply to: 1080P

arkfsm,

I don't know what the issue would be then. If it continues or gets worse, I would recommend having the set inspected by a qualified technician.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same problem but on 2550
by dvon1981 / March 20, 2010 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: 1080P

I have the exact same problem. Randomly and only with HD movie the picture will show up for a second and then go black with netflix on demand. My payer is a 2550. I've found that by playing Pandora for a few seconds and then opening Netflix this will sometimes fix the problem (though who know why that does anything). It's an annoying problem that comes and goes for no reason, if I try playing a movie a few times I can generally get it to play eventually but it requires turning the player on and off each time.

Collapse -
Audio does not start in DTS HD and video drops on BD-P3600
by alexgraham89 / July 22, 2010 1:12 PM PDT

Well, I am glad to hear that someone is have a problem at least SIMILAR to mine...
I have a samsung BD-P3600 connected to an Onkyo TX-SR506 with component video and analogue 5.1 cable which is connected to a 1080i projector with a component to VGA adapter and a 50' VGA cable.
On my BD-P3600 the digital output is set to Bitstream(audiophile)(not like that makes much difference as I am using A-log multi channel out); PCM downsampling is on, dynamic compression is off; downmixing mode is set to surround compatible; and the speaker set up is set properly to my surround equipment.
The major problem that I seem to be encountering is that if I play a Bluray disc that has DTS HD audio and I select it in the menu before I start playing the movie, the audio simply does not start to play. If I either go back to the menu or try some combination of going to the previous chapter and rewinding and pausing then the audio will start to play; or if I select a different audio track then change to DTS HD while watching the movie it will start to work. Could this have something to do with the DTS HD decoder in the bluray player or something about the way that the information is transferred from the decoder to the A-log outputs?
My other problem is a bit more tricky to pin down... when I am watching bluray movies the picture starts to get distorted after watching a movie for a little while, its never quite in the same spot and if I remove the disc and then pick up where I left off it will be perfectly fine.
When I am watching DVD's they have a tendency to randomly freeze both audio and video for about a second or so and then just continue on perfectly.
This player is unfortunately out of the manufacture's warranty period; however I do have an extended warranty though London Drugs, but when I brought it in there they said that they could not "replicate the failure", which I had explained seemed to happen at random, and I know that the video issues are not a matter of either the projector or the receiver as I have had them set up this way for more than a year and this problem only started about two months ago, and I have my xbox set up though them as well.
I also had my bluray player connected to a standard definition TV by a composite cable just after this problem had started, eliminating any ONE video connection as the source.

Collapse -
firmware update
by alexgraham89 / July 22, 2010 1:27 PM PDT

I forgot to mention; before you ask me if I have updated my firmware... think about how much detail I went to describing my set up and how each device is set up, everyone knows to update their firmware!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?