HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BD-P1600 - White Screen of Snow

by soggyshorts / October 10, 2009 4:36 AM PDT

Hello,

I recently purchased a Samsung BD-P1600 after reading many reviews and looking at many players. The unit is great - excellent picture, etc.

I've had it up and running for about a week - on the 2nd day I started having a problem where the television screen will suddenly flash to an all white screen of static/snow. After a bunch of trouble shooting, checking cables, etc. I figured out that if I leave the power on to both the unit and television and unplug the HDMI cable and then reinsert it - everything returns to normal. (for various amounts of time (10mins - 2days) before it does it again). It happens while viewing discs or streaming content. It would appear to be some sort of cabling issue... I am using an HDMI over CAT5 extender setup - but only over about 20 feet of cabling as the components are setup in an A/V closet with only the display on the wall. The HDMI setup sends the signal over 2 CAT5 cables and has an active indicator (red or green lights) that indicate the setup is working correctly (even when the screen goes to snow). I'm using two 3' CAT2 HDMI cables, one on each end of the extender setup for the player and television connection.

Basically my question to the forum is: is there anyway to verify that the player is "ok" and that it is in fact a cabling / EMI problem. Secondly, the CAT5 cables are run by themselves (no power near them). Could the EMI actually be on the HDMI cables in the A/V cabinet or behind the display.

I have other inputs into the television, S-Video and Component from other devices and there is no issues w/ them - only the HDMI connected Samsung player.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post - any thoughts/help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-P1600 - White Screen of Snow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-P1600 - White Screen of Snow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung BD-P1600 - White Screen of Snow
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 10, 2009 6:37 AM PDT

soggyshorts,

That's quite an interesting setup. HDMI doesn't work well beyond 10m without a repeater or signal booster, so running it over 2 CAT5 cables is pretty clever.

I don't think EMI is going to be the culprit here, although that may also depend on the amount of EMI within the cabinet. Even many of the inexpensive cables are shielded properly, but I don't know what the effect of EMI would be on the screen, and I'm curious to know if the effects of additional EMI would cause your symptom.

You might test this theory by connecting the unit directly to the television via straight HDMI for a few days to see if the same symptom happens. If not, it may be interference or a limitation within the cabling. That's probably the best way to verify the player, or isolate the symptom.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Problem possibly solved
by soggyshorts / October 11, 2009 8:47 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply.

After some more trouble shooting... I think the problem may have been in the output format of the Samsung player. It is capable (default setting) of 1080p output resolution. I changed the output of the BD-P1600 to 1080i instead of 1080p and the white screen of snow problem seems to have been solved. And while the Toshiba television is in fact a 1080p TV - it seems that the television prefers to use its internal processor to convert the 1080i to 1080p instead of accepting the 1080p output of the Samsung player. Regardless - the actual resolution is the same and since the Toshiba is an LCD television it will be using a progressive scan and converting all interlaced signals for 1080p display anyway. I posted here again - just in case this helps someone else having similar difficulties. AND/OR if I'm totally off-base hopefully some HD Tech will straighten me out. Wink

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.