Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BD-P1600 nightmare

by greentshirt / August 14, 2010 4:09 PM PDT

I usually don't join forums or complain about products online, but in this case I am making an exception. Having read CNet forums for years, I was compelled to share my own horrible experience with Samsung so other prospective buyers could save their time and money and purchase from a company that owns up to mistakes.

For the record, I own a Samsung television, two Samsung monitors, and a myriad Samsung gadgets. I always thought of Samsung as a top-tier company.

Late last year I decided to purchase a cheap blu-ray player. I rarely watch movies at home, but I thought it would be a nice addition to my home theater system, and that I could replace it with a better unit if I saw the need. I purchased the 1600P specifically because it was Samsung.

It worked fine for the first little while, until one day it prompted me to do an update. Thinking Samsung was a corporation run by professionals, I didn't think twice about telling it to do the update. That was the last time my blu-ray DVD player actually played blu-ray's. Since then, it will only play normal DVD's. I've since bought a replacement unit, from an actual reputable company that knows what they are doing, and I have this useless piece of garbage sitting in my closet.

On a whim, I decided one day to try to get it working. I've read almost every thread pertaining to this unit on this forum and tried every trick and suggestions offered. Nothing works.

If you are reading this and are thinking of purchasing a Samsung product, I strongly urge you to reconsider. Samsung has been utterly unhelpful with this, and has expected me to invest my own time into fixing the issue. It's simply not worth the time to download various firmwares and keep my fingers crossed. In fact, I have lost all faith in Samsung as a company and am not expecting any help in response to this post - I'm simply trying to make sure other people don't get ripped off.

For the record, every single customer who looks at a Samsung product in my store gets to hear about my experience with Samsung. Most decide on a different product. It's simply bad business, for the few dollars it would have cost to replace these faulty units Samsung is losing many customers. The sad part is, my unit is still under "warranty" and I have my receipts and packaging... but I'm expected to find a local depot and pay for the shipping? Right.

Good job Samsung, you managed to turn a long-term client into a disgruntled customer. I hope the few bucks you saved on this was worth all the bad press.

If anyone is legitimately considering purchasing a Samsung product, please feel free to contact me and I'll reply just to let you know this isn't some kind of smear company by a competitor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-P1600 nightmare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-P1600 nightmare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same here
by DezMix / August 15, 2010 11:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by greentshirt / August 15, 2010 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here

Unfortunately, it sounds like many people are in the same boat. This is really silly, it's the sort of thing you would expect from a bottom-tier oem, not a supposed top-tier brand.

Collapse -
question about your replacement unit
by lazysparky / November 8, 2010 4:48 AM PST

Quote " I've since bought a replacement unit, from an actual reputable company that knows what they are doing", Would you be willing to tell us of the new unit that you replaced your Samsung with? I am also very dissatisfied w/ Samsung BD-P1600, turning out to be a piece of junk.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.