You can try to see if updating the television with a CD version or Thumbdrive firmware update will reset some of the controls.
Not being able to enter the menu option doesn't sound like it's working properly.
So I'd try to reinstall the firmware update first, and if that doesn't work, it may need to be serviced.
You can get the firmware updates to download here (and the instructions) and choose which method works best for you.
Fellow Techies, the problems
I can watch Blu-ray movies with reasonable consistency, though sometimes have to restart it (off/on) to get sound and picture.
1. The player does NOT respond to most of player remote controls, except off/on and open/close. It does, however, respond to the player controls on the TV remote (also Samsung).
2. The display only ever shows one thing - sometimes 'close', 'play' or 'load' - it rarely changes.
3. It wont 'reset' (on and FF).
4. It wont upgrade - I recall carrying out an upgrade Sep 08 which went fine.
5. It wont enter a menu option at all
I purchased it 9 months ago - but I am not sure when the problems began - looking back, it seems to always have been like this, though that cannot be the case as I am sure I would have sorted it sooner - but I work away from home a great deal and no one tells me anything! For info, I have samsung TV (series 3 or 4 - I think) and samsung AV 620 receiver.