Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BD-P1500 2.4 Firmware Upgrade

by Curt31 / July 9, 2009 8:59 AM PDT

Hello just order a factory refurbished BD P1500 and now I'm possibly having second thoughts. Well in anticipation of receiving my first Blu Ray player I downloaded the firmware upgrade from the Samsung site only to find here on Cnet that a LOT of folks are having serious problems with this upgrade. So what would you guys recommend not doing the upgrade and just seeing how the player preforms without it? I'm sure the unit I will be receiving will not have the latest firmware upgrade. I actually called the store I made the purchase from but as expected they have no idea what firmware version I will receive. And has anyone had any luck with this model. I've looked at newer models from Sony and even Samsung and they don't seem to experence as many problems as this one but I got such a great deal I just couldn't pass it up. Maybe I should of gotten the Insignia, seems like they got most of the bugs out of that one but I like the idea of having a brand name like Samsung. Thanks!!

Tom j.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-P1500 2.4 Firmware Upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-P1500 2.4 Firmware Upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung BD-P1500 2.4 Firmware Upgrade
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2009 12:49 PM PDT

Curt31,

The firmware updates for Blu-Rays usually address issues such as new Java-coding that comes out on the latest Blu-Ray discs. When we find an issue where a disc doesn't work, we fix the issue and distribute the release.

Keep in mind that people who update and have no issues usually don't log on and note that, but when there is an issue, they do appear here. And we do our best to resolve these issues.

--HDTech

Collapse -
So what Would You Do???
by Curt31 / July 9, 2009 12:56 PM PDT

Thanks so would you suggest updating the firmware as soon as I receive it? Thanks

Tom j.

Collapse -
So what Would You Do???
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2009 1:55 PM PDT

Curt31,

If you have a specific time where you have the option to return the unit (return policy), I would install it right away. If it doesn't work satisfactorily, then at least you have the option to send it back for an exchange or something different.

If you don't have the option to return it, you could try and go under whatever warranty is offered with the product, and be covered in the event something goes wrong. In many cases, the update goes without problem. But it's a bummer if it doesn't, so that's what I'd recommend as a suggestion.

I can see you're concerned, so I wanted to approach this from all angles so you can make the best choice for you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Tech Support Question
by Curt31 / July 10, 2009 1:07 AM PDT

Well I firt must say how impressed I am with Samsungs support it is excellent!! Heard some folks on other forums complain but I can't see why. I do have a complete money back guarantee for 30 days so I will check everything out and do the upgrade. Two additional questions after the upgrade is there anything I should immediately look for to make sure the unit is operating properly? and please see the the comment below I got from a forum and let me know if this problem has been resolved. This was taken from a post about a year ago so maybe this problem has been addressed in later firmware releases. Thanks!!

About the only downside is that occasionally the blu-ray player, when I hit "menu", will stop feeding a signal into the TV for a few moments, causing the TV to put up a "No Signal" message on the screen. Not smart, Samsung !! Also, the BONUSVIEW feature puts an annoying icon on the screen, and to get rid of it you have to stop everything, and turn off a big chunk of all your displays! NOT SMART, SAMSUNG!

Collapse -
Tech Support Question
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 10, 2009 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Tech Support Question

Curt31,

Thanks for the kind words.

If the firmware update is successful, your unit will run normally. Make sure that you follow the instructions on the firmware download. It sounds redundant, but I always suggest printing it out and following it through. On some units, for the first update, the update has to be run twice if you're using a CD or thumbdrive.

The "No Signal" issue was fixed, to the best of my recollection anyway, by a firmware update that came out later. As far as I know, it's not a common issue any longer, although I could potentially see anything on occasion that wouldn't necessarily suggest that even some, many or all other users are affected. Everyone deserves good customer service, and regardless of how widespread any potential issue is, we aim to fix and address them on the individual level.

Hope that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Ethernet Firmware Upgrade
by Curt31 / July 11, 2009 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Tech Support Question

Hi I was under impression that all you had to do was connect the player via an Ethernet cable to preform the upgrade directly over the Internet. I would actually prefer to do it that was then download the software and load it from a usb drive. Thanks!!

Collapse -
Ethernet Firmware Upgrade
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2009 12:32 PM PDT

Curt31,

That is correct. You can hook it up to the LAN port in the back of the unit, and follow the steps on page 48 of the manual to do the automatic update.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Upconvering Question
by Curt31 / July 21, 2009 6:51 AM PDT

Hello can you upconvert a standard dvd to 720p 1080i/p I read somewhere that this unit can not upconvert dvd's this had to be a mistake. I'm hoping anyway. Should have the unit in a few days. Thanks!

Tom j.

Collapse -
Upconvering Question
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2009 5:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Upconvering Question

Curt31,

Yes, the units can upconvert. What model are you specifically looking at?

--HDTech

Collapse -
The Model Number
by Curt31 / July 23, 2009 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Upconvering Question

Samsung BP1500 is the model number of the unit I ordered, hope to have it this Monday can't wait! I'm going to have to down convert the image to work on my 37 inch 720p I have in the bedroom. Will this effect the overall picture quality. Thanks

Tom j.

Collapse -
The Model Number
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 26, 2009 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: The Model Number

Curt31,

No. The downconversion of the picture simply means that some of the resolution is removed. It will still show the full ability of what the panel can produce, which should still be a great picture.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Basic Setup Instructions
by Curt31 / July 27, 2009 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: The Model Number

Just got it minutes ago and this thing exudes quality!!! I love the look. This was an open box and arrived also, I repeat almost perfect except for a very small scratch which I really can't see without my glasses and then still be about an inch away so in that respect I'm very satisfied. I don't have any Bluray disks yet so I'm currently just working with basic DVD's so my question is how do you set this up to up convert your stand DVD's?I don't see anything in the instructions that address this is it done automatically? I have a 36 inch 720 LCD in the bedroom that it's currently hooked up to. I now what the 52 inch Samsung for the family room! and I guess if all goes well another Samsung bluray. Any other recommendations you could give me concerning this type of setup would be very helpful. Thanks I Love Samsung It Looks beautiful!!! Thanks!!!

Tom j.

Collapse -
TICKED OFF AV TECH
by puffah / May 26, 2010 5:15 PM PDT

Ok here is the deal. I am a av tech with 22 years experience in audio video and control systems. My bdp-1500 just started to not play movies all of a sudden. Some no sound, some simply nothing at all. I guess I was putting off getting around to doing the update. So before ever seeing any of these threads on what a piece of junk this machine is, I updated it using the usb flashdrive. I followed the directions to the T. Trust me I realllllly know what I'm doing. Now the player has said firmware update now processing for over 3 hours. Whats worse is I don't know what to do. Everything I have read has said do not mess with it while its loading or it becomes a paperweight. But everything in my body says its already screwed. I have never had a update take more then 20 min on any gear in my life. So I guess no movies for tonight and it sounds like from this form till I buy a new crappy BR dvd player. WOW samsung you realllly dropped the ball on this one. And trust me you guys will be hearing from me if this is junk. Unlike all of these consumers you push around with techno babble and blame games I won't fold. That crap will NOT work with me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.