Samsung forum

Question

Samsung BD-EM59C - Firmware upgrade ver:1157 problem

by sathwikbp / February 17, 2013 7:09 PM PST

Hello,
I had bought Samsung blu-ray player BD-EM59C from USA. It had no prolems playing home video files stored in my external drive connected via USB to the player.
It had the firmware ver:1153

I upgraded the firmware to ver: 1157 which is available on the samsung website. The upgrade was done through the firmware update functionality available in the device which connects to the internet through wi-fi.

Now after the upgrade, none of my home videos are playing via the USB. The video is gibberish and audio has lot of noise.
Am not able to apporach the samsung support in India as this model is not available in India.

What can I do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-EM59C - Firmware upgrade ver:1157 problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-EM59C - Firmware upgrade ver:1157 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung BD-EM59C - Firmware upgrade ver:1157 problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 18, 2013 4:15 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Samsung BD-EM59C - Firmware upgrade ver:1157 problem
by sathwikbp / February 18, 2013 1:58 PM PST

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have tried your suggestion but it hasn't worked. None of the supported file formats are viewable through USB.

Collapse -
Be careful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 11:37 PM PST

File formats are not the same as video encoding formats. I've had long discussions about that and just because the file is called MKV or AVI or in the list does not mean the video inside the file will play.

Tell the forum exactly what the encoding is. Don't leave out this detail. Also, what tool did you use to look at the video encoding to be sure it was proper?

I have some titles in mind but want to read what you use first.
Bob

Collapse -
Be careful
by sathwikbp / February 19, 2013 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: Be careful.

Hi,
First of all its the set same of video files (mpeg4 taken staright from a Canon digital camera) which used to play before the firmware upgrade. But after upgrade it doesn't play properly.

I also have an old sony camcoder Hi8, I have video captured using KINO (video editing software) from the tapes through firewire in a raw DV format. Then exported it to MPEG4 Dual Pass (FFMPEG), DVD video Dual Pass (FFMPEG). But it's the same problem with these edited video files also.

So the blu-ray player is neither able to play non eidtied video nor edited videos.

What do you want me to check and how. Is there any video file that you suggest from the public domain I could download and see if it runs.

Collapse -
Nice to read FFMPEG.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: Be careful

I'll explain something and then you can get back to work. When a firmware upgrade comes out there may be some loss of video decoding but SO FAR they have never removed a decoding that is in the manual. This may confuse folk as "it worked before."

Since the encoding was never in the manual, even if it works you can't count on it.

So forget any tool for looking at the encoding since it does not matter now as it's not supported. Look in the Samsung documentation for your device and then encode in those supported formats.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.