HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BD-E5400 Wifi Issue

by tgoodin1237 / August 23, 2013 8:46 AM PDT

Hi. I see that I'm not the only one having this issue. My blu ray is a brand new unit, it's my second one as after 2 hours on the phone with Samsung tech support they decided I had a defective unit. I returned the unit and exchanged it for another. After the firmware update and multiple attempts at doing all of the trouble shooting that I did with Samsung Customer Service yesterday...still unable to connect due to that "wireless access denied, etc." message. Wifi is connected but internet access not allowed. I've restored factory settings, tried multiple different manual AVN's... I don't want to give up on the player but I really didn't want to buy a new wifi router. Anyone figured this out yet?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-E5400 Wifi Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-E5400 Wifi Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2013 10:27 AM PDT

While I have used what I posted in the CNET Networking Forum about the DNS and more, some routers are just broke. Now I do encounter folk that disagree but Samsung wrote the stack exactly to spec and here's an example where a router maker tweaked it to work with Samsung products.

http://www.tp-link.es/article/?faqid=510

You can imagine the poor users that thought the Samsung was defective.

Your post has no details for me to work with. But you can try the usual noted in the networking forum.
Bob

Collapse -
Same Problem: Possible Fix
by TRUTHSAYER_15 / November 21, 2013 12:03 AM PST

As MANY have found, the Samsung Blue Ray DVD player, BD-E5400 works for a week or two; then, it looses its WiFi connection to your wireless router and services, such as Neflix. I too tried various re-connect methods, but none worked until I used the WPS (PBC)-option method and the "restore factory settings" routine. My E5400 is now connected and Netflix works again.
What I had to do was replace my old 2005 wireless router with an new one that has a WPS button. The newer routers have this button on the back or side. I used this WPS button to auto-connect my E5400 to my new WiFi router.
The steps I used are as follows:
After I installed my new router, I confirmed I had WiFi-based Internet access by bringing up Google on my laptop.
I then turned on the TV and my E5400 DVD player to get the Main Menu screen.
Next, I did the factory-settings reset. The Samsung manual says to hold down the STOP button for 8 seconds. It's located in the circle on top of the played . .the square icon-button. The goal here is to get the black screen which re-starts the player setup routine. My first attempt failed; I held down the button for over a minute, but nothing happened, The fix was to unplug the DVD player for a few seconds, then restore power AND quickly hold down the STOP button. After about a minute, I the black setup screen appeared.
Now press the Enter button on your remote until you get to the screen that asks for the type of wireless connection. The two option buttons are "Wireless" and "WPS (PBC)". Scroll right and select the latter. . that is,"WPS (PBC)". After you press Enter to select it, you'll have 120 seconds to find and press the WPS button on your WiFi router. Do this. . . the network apps should now auto-connect your DVD player to your WiFi router.
Finally, be aware you'll have to go through sign-in again routine to services, such as Netflix.
NOTE: Earlier, I contacted my ISP service center and asked for assistance to fiix my connection problem. The Tech Rep advised me the connection to my cable modem was OK . . that their maintenance of my cable link falls under "Basic Service". I was also told a service tech could remotely fix my WiFi problem, BUT this support falls under "Premium Service" and would cost me $69 for the repair session. Did NOT like or do this. It smacks of being a consumer rip off, since an ISP service tech can do a remote fix in about 10 minutes or less. I also ran across this in New Mexico when I had a problem setting up my brother's WiFi network. His cable/ ISP rep cited assistance fees of $179 per year or $100 per session for WiFi assistance.

Collapse -
Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 12:42 AM PST

Over in the CNET Networking forum I have collected many tips about wifi networking in general and a sticky containing any and all Smart TV or device specifics no matter how bizarre they are. Some surprised the experts but these are gathered in the field and if it works, it went in the sticky.

Maybe next year I'll re-write those and put it on some wiki.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.