Samsung forum

Alert

Samsung BD-D7500B/ZC Stopped Working After 5 Months

by Tootall107 / November 20, 2011 5:46 AM PST

The BD-D7500B/ZC was a great player until it stopped working after 5 months.

The player suddenly stopped accepting any kind of DVD or blu-ray disc, including new ones and those previously played successfully. It has previously successfully played these discs using the current firmware version, so the problem wasn't the result of a patch.

After trying to load the disc, a message now appears on my shiny new Samsung PN64D8000 3D TV screen: "Cannot play this disc. The disc does not meet the specifications." The player then automatically ejects the disc.

An Internet search of the message text indicates that this is becoming a common problem for this model. It reminds me of the XBox 360 "Red Ring of Death" problem that afflicted early adopters.

Initially, I was impressed with how Samsung Customer Service emailed me a UPS shipping label and was promised that it would be back after 5 business days. That period has passed and now no one can even get ahold of the repair shop, Service Absolut in Montreal, to which Samsung contracts out the work. The chances of seeing my player again grow dimmer with each passing day...

I formerly was extolling the virtues of my Samsung 3D blu-ray and TV to my friends, coworkers and anyone else who would listen, but now have had to eat a lot of crow for it. Panasonic and Sharp owners can be a pretty cruel bunch...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-D7500B/ZC Stopped Working After 5 Months
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-D7500B/ZC Stopped Working After 5 Months
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung Electronics Canada Support
by SamsungCanadaSupport / November 22, 2011 12:47 AM PST

Hello Tootall107,

On behalf of Samsung Electronics Canada, we apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We work hard to deliver exceptional customer service to all of our customers and do what we can to resolve any issues that they are experiencing. We would like to follow-up with you directly regarding this.

Please visit our Samsung Canada Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/SamsungCanada#!/SamsungCanada?sk=app_197366490279739) and fill out the Support form. Please indicate that you have been contacted by a Samsung Canada representative on Cnet and asked to complete the form. Please also include a contact phone number, best time(s) to be reached, and a service ticket number.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,
Customer Service Department
Samsung Electronics Canada

Collapse -
Is Samsung Canada Customer Service Staffed by Vogons?
by Tootall107 / November 28, 2011 12:49 AM PST

My experience so far dealing with Samsung Canada Customer Service brings to mind this quote from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: "Though not actually evil, the Vogons are thoroughly vile. They wouldn't even lift a finger to save their own grandmothers from the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal without orders signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters."

You get the idea - read on:

For instance, if you make a posting to CNet about faulty Samsung equipment, don't be fooled by replies from Samsung Canada Customer Service trolls asking you to contact them directly through a special online form that implies that you will now receive a miraculous and speedy resolution. I went to the form, filled it out and got zilch as a response from Samsung Canada Customer Service regarding my ticket for a BD-D7500B/ZC blu-ray that was experiencing Samsung's version of the "Red Ring of Death".

When dealing with them, you'll find that Samsung Canada Customer Service seems to be just a Potemkin Village that the company has set up to give Canadian customers the illusion that they will get local service. The accents on the other end of the phone sound pretty American to me, likely meaning that our US cousins are getting the same shoddy treatment.

So after my unit got received on November 14 by the Service Absolut repair shop in Montreal, they sat on it for about 10 days before deciding that they couldn't fix the unit and it needed to be replaced. After it had been received, I received an email reminder on November 21 from Samsung Canada Customer Service telling me that, according to them, I still hadn't shipped the unit for repair. Service Absolut doesn't have a website, and barely registers on online searches, so messages like that sure increase the warm and fuzzy feeling of whether I'm ever going to get my unit back again, or that it's already half way to the black market in Istanbul.

These guys have got to work on their internal communication.

To add an extra 6 days of wasted time, when I finally called them today (November 28), they said that I needed to provide them with a copy of the bill of sale before they could create the Exchange Ticket. No one bothered to contact me a week ago that this was needed and I doubt if anyone would have done so unless I had phoned to jostle them out of their helpless lethargy. Lesson learned - you need to keep phoning Samsung Canada Customer Service every couple of days to pull their socks up for them and herd them forward to the next steps of the process. You simply cannot count on them to take the initiative on their own.

So get this: Their warehouse in Ontario first has to send the replacement unit to their Service Absolut repair unit in Montreal. It will take a few days for them to do so after the Exchange Ticket is created (note to self: phone Samsung Canada Customer Service on Wednesday to remind them to do their job). Only once Service Absolut gets the replacement unit will they then forward it to me without even opening the box (read: they'll likely sit on it for another 10 days before taking action, like last time).

Of course, the Samsung warehouse in Ontario can't simply send the replacement blu-ray player to me directly. Oh no, that would make sense, they wouldn't want to take the chance of me having it back by Christmas...

And all this assumes that there is a replacement unit available. Judging by all the similar Samsung "Red Ring of Death" problems one reads about online about the BD-D7500B/ZC and their other blu-ray units, Samsung probably can't crank out replacements fast enough to replace all the faulty ones they dumped on the North American market. I guess that also assumes that they figured out how to fix them, or even that they plan to make the effort to fix them.

Collapse -
Is Samsung Canada Customer Service Staffed by Vogons?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2011 1:44 AM PST

Tootall107,

Collapse -
Here We Go Again
by Tootall107 / November 29, 2011 9:44 AM PST

OK,

I've filled out the Samsung Canada Customer Service Facebook again - submitted tonight around 8:32pm EST.

I can't help but notice that you have do things twice with Samsung Canada Customer Service.

I was never given a transaction number, and I feel that it would not be advisable to provide my Service Request Ticket Number on an open forum.

Tomorrow, I will be contacting Samsung Canada Customer Service to see if they've managed to muddle my file any further toward resolution. Standby for a new update on the latest schmauze... and I still have other review sites to update.

Collapse -
Then email it to me and I'd pass it over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2011 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: Here We Go Again

Click on my name and there's a spamproof email button. I like Vogon's too.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.