Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BD-C5500C

by catbiddle / May 7, 2010 12:39 PM PDT

Out of the box and hooked up it is stuck in the setup mode with all Japenese Language and I cannot get it to English using the remote

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-C5500C
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-C5500C
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung BD-C5500C Korean language on startup
by jennadams / May 19, 2010 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung BD-C5500C

I have the same issue with my brand new Samsung BD-C5500C. I bought it at Costco this afternoon.

Once I plugged in the HDMI cable and turned the player on, it automatically turned my TV on. I didn't think it could do that. The display on the front of the player says "SETUP" in English but the information displayed on the TV is all in Korean. It has a funky wood-grain kind of background with one button in the middle outlined in blue. (I did not know it at the time but the characters in the button mean "Korean." Note that there are no other buttons with other languages at this point.) There is no option to select the language as indicated in the quick start guide.

After doing the usual reset/power-cycle nonsense with no effect, I started playing around with the menus. I had planned to return it to Costco so there was no harm in it, right? Lo and behold, I figured out how to fix it. Step by step, this is what I did; I hope this helps somebody:

From the "wood-grain" screen: In the middle of the screen is a button outlined in blue with some funky Korean characters on it. At the top, a "gear" and some more Korean. At the lower right corner, the "select" icon, "return" icon and some more Korean.

Press the select icon and it will take you to the aspect ratio selection. Select the first 16:9 option (you can change it later, right?) On the next screen there are 3 buttons outlined in blue (the third one says "PBC(WPS)" Don't select any of these. Instead, press the blue "D" button on the remote two times. It takes you to the player's home screen. All options are still in Korean at this time. Use the arrows to navigate to the "gears" and select it. On the next menu, use the down arrow to go to the 5th option which consists of two characters with little circles that look sort of like a zero and a one connected by a line. Press the right arrow to go to the expanded menu. The first option is the language option tho you don't know it because it's still in Korean! Press the right arrow again and the language menu will open. Select the lingo of your choice and voila! Now, continue with your setup.

Good luck!

Collapse -
This helped a ton -- problem solved
by jux2nate / May 20, 2010 12:23 PM PDT

Thanks a bunch for posting. I had the exact problem, and spent about 1.5 hours fighting it (reading the manual, trying to call Samsung, reading the web). If it wasn't for your post, I would have been sunk-- no way to figure out which option to select, since its in Korean.

The main thing that bothered me was when I called Samsung and got a recorded message to "Call back during normal business hours". As a consumer-oriented company, they should really get a clue that many customers happen to work during "Normal Business Hours" and will be running into trouble during the evening when they just want to watch a movie on their new DVD player. ....Not to mention that having everything in Korean is super frustrating.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!