Samsung forum

General discussion

samsung B650 problems with 24p cinema smooth feature

by tklink81 / November 22, 2009 12:16 PM PST

I want to upgrade to newer plasma HDTV and i have done considerable research... So one of the new features with HDTV's seems to be the ability to process 1080p/24 sources and after looking carefully into the panasonic G10 series and samsung B650 and 8650 it has pretty much come down to this:

The G10 seems to have flickering in 1080p/24 mode but by looking at the B650 review on cnet i am having trouble understanding what the real issue is with 24p processing; Is the problem with the black level being bad or is it just the fact that the TV wont switch pack to 1080p/60 mode when it was tried during blu-ray play back? In case the black level is bad how much of a problem do you guys think this is compared to the flickering with pana G10?

I also looked carefully at the B850 review and found no mention of the black level issue... Was that fixed in the 800 series? It also seems that it matches the V10's performance when it came to 1080p/24 and that it did the switching automatically as opposed to manual setting needed in B860... Am i missing something here?

Anyway i am not sure how much of a factor the 1080p/24 processing capability is supposed to be when buying a plasma but i felt that both samsung and pana had comparable picture quality... Does anybody actually vouch for one vs the other when it comes to that? I felt that the 1080p/24 processing was the only differentiating factor + samsung has DLNA and pana doesn't... Can anybody elaborate on how important DLNA is or can become?

Thanks!

Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung B650 problems with 24p cinema smooth feature
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung B650 problems with 24p cinema smooth feature
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tklink81 / November 23, 2009 6:06 AM PST

bump

Collapse -
: samsung B650 problems with 24p cinema smooth feature
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 25, 2009 4:36 AM PST

tklink81,

Does adjusting the white balance, or resetting the picture settings change the tint problem?

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung B650 problems with 24p cinema smooth feature
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 25, 2009 4:43 AM PST

tklink81,

Disregard my previous post. I replied to the wrong question accidentally.

The flickering may be a result of an incompatibility between the source and the television. The television will accept a 24Hz signal, and then process the picture.

DLNA allows you to stream content to your television by either USB or your computer. While most people have found that the USB method takes less setup and networking knowledge, it depends on how much you want that feature.

I'll bump this up so that others can comment on their experiences.

Thanks for considering Samsung.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by tklink81 / November 25, 2009 12:38 PM PST

Hi,

thanks for the information... However you didnt really answer my doubt about the cinema smooth issues with the B650 and how bad it is; again when i went through the cnet review for the b650 i found the following:

"We did encounter one significant black level snafu, however. When we engaged the "Cinema Smooth" mode in the Film Mode menu, which is designed to help preserve the correct frame rate of film with 1080p/24 sources, black levels rose significantly. It was as if the TV had switched to another, uncalibrated picture mode. Switching Film Mode back to Off didn't return the black levels to their correct, calibrated state; to do so we had to stop playback entirely, which sent a normal 1080p/60 source to the TV and disengaged Cinema Smooth. Needless to say this is unusual behavior, and we'll update this review when Samsung has an explanation (and hopefully a fix). In the meantime, we recommend not using Cinema Smooth with our picture settings."

So can somebody who has the TV actually elaborate on this and how bad of a problem it is and how it compares to the flickering issue seen in the Panasonic G10?
Is the same issue seen in the 8 series samsung tvs? namely 850 and 860?

Thanks,

Antoine

Collapse -
24p snafu bump
by pwildman / January 15, 2010 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: reply

I noticed that nobody from samsung has answered your question and I am very interested as well. But as I understand the current isseu, as reported by cnet reviews is that when you engage 24p with a correct source the picture settings get changed to some different setting and among them as I understand it the black level increases and so when you go back to watching non 24p video program material you have to reset your picture settings, unless you use the default settings.

I am considering this tv against the panasonic V10 series and I will have to see this phenominon in action before I would actually by this tv.

too bad samsung hasn't commented on this yet. It's been visible long enough to expect some kind of comment if they intend to address it. Which leaves me with the distinct feeling that they are probably not going to address it.

Collapse -
To HDTech
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 25, 2009 6:38 PM PST

Hi there.

I got a request from you to remove your own post at;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?messageID=3183768#3183768

I was a bit late, and since then you have re-posted with a reference to "Disregard my previous post". If I delete that post now, that 'disregard...' will be out of place, and you will look silly! Devil

(Just joking!)

Do you still want me to delete it? If so, I will do with pleasure. I like deleting stuff!

Mark

Collapse -
Heh..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2009 3:33 PM PST
In reply to: To HDTech

MarkFlax,

No need. Wink While I'm at it... disregard my request to delete my disregarded post.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 6:57 PM PST
In reply to: Heh..

Yep, I think I understood that! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
To markadam1979. Post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 1:51 AM PST

I removed your post with your two links.

Sorry, no advertising in these forums.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!