Question

Samsung Auto Backup Runtime Error

When I launch Samsung auto backup (version 08.30) I receive a window that says:

Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library
Runtime error C\program files\clarius\samsung auto backup\ISFMgr.exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Chris

PS using Win 7 32 bit

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Samsung Auto Backup Runtime Error
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung Auto Backup Runtime Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Just sharing what I did.

I learned over the years to not use Microsoft's backup software as well as any maker's supplied software. That way I am not locked into their proprietary software if I need to restore on another PC.

This is not an offer to try to fix this app or such but how I deal with it.
Bob

- Collapse -

Thanks for your comments. I may well have to use a third party software if I cannot fix the issue. The thing I like with Samsung Auto Backup is that it saves to standard files which can be accessed on any computer. It also has a useful auto shutdown feature for overnight backups.

Kind Regards

Chris

- Collapse -
Which is why I use

Goodsync
Syncback

And for images I use Clonezilla.

- Collapse -
Answer
Same problem

I have the exact same problem Chris.

I have tried numerous things. I have uninstalled the software and re-installed but to no avail. Also downloaded the latest version from samsung (seagate) website but this is actually the same version i have, so you guessed it, it still gives the same error. I believe the only change are a few windows updates. I may uninstall them and see if that helps.

Jon

- Collapse -

Thanks R. Proffitt for the software suggestions. I will look into them.

Also thanks jonnymaboy for your comments. I also suspect some windows updates are the cause of the problem. I have sent an e mail to Samsung support and am waiting for a reply and will post any news here. I suspect that if this is a new issue caused by some windows updates the developers should come out with a solution soon.

Kind Regards

Chris

- Collapse -
There was another Samsung title broke by...

Another title, I don't know if this is the same cause was busted by installing .NET 4.5. The fix was easy. Uninstall .NET 4.5. And maybe .NET 4.0

Sorry but since I don't have this issue to test I can't try it but if you did this, it's pretty trivial to install .NET versions.
Bob

- Collapse -
- Collapse -
The solution I noted is not a solution. It's a workaround.

Sorry if software fixes versus workarounds are confusing.

- Collapse -
Answer
windows update kb2698365

The problem appears to be with windows update kb2698365. I played around with a pc uninstalling then installing updates etc and it appears with is the culprit. It is also causing lots of other problems with data access on windows 7 machines.
1 example is below but just do a quick google search and you will see the problems. Microsoft say they are hopefully going to rol out an update to fix this by the end of the week so it says in the below post Happy. I have unistalled now and can back up again.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/74957f74-3d28-41f6-b039-9fdd84fe48f3

Jon

- Collapse -
Samsung Auto Backup Runtime Error - Solved!

Thanks jonnymaboy, the solution you posteed worked for me as well. I uninstalled windows update windows kb2698365 and Samsung Auto Backup starts normally.

Also thank you R. Proffitt for the helpful workarounds you suggested.

Kind Regards

Chris

- Collapse -
(NT) Thank you Jon!
- Collapse -
Removing kb2698365 fix my Samsung Backup too

Thanks jonnymaboy, the solution you posted worked for me as well. I also uninstalled windows update windows kb2698365 and Samsung Auto Backup now starts and runs normally. I have 4 PCs each with their own Samsung backup that were failing. Thank You !!!

- Collapse -
Answer
worked for me

Uninstall KB helped my client to access his data on the backup disk

CNET Forums