Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Anynet+ and PS3 blu-ray playback remote control

by ChocoboX / September 26, 2010 6:51 PM PDT

Hi, I just got my Plasma PN50C7000 7 series Samsung TV. I updated the firmware. I have a slim 120GB PS3 with 3.41 firmware. I use Anynet+ to control PS3 via remote control of Samsung TV. When I play a blu-ray disc video, Samsung remote control has a problem with pause / play buttons. They never work. All other buttons work fine (fast forward, reverse, directions, menu ...etc). Please can someone tell me how to get the play and pause buttons to work. I cannot pause the movie via the remote!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Anynet+ and PS3 blu-ray playback remote control
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Anynet+ and PS3 blu-ray playback remote control
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung Anynet+ and PS3 blu-ray playback remote control
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 27, 2010 1:44 PM PDT

ChocoboX,

The Anynet+ functionality isn't present on the PS3, so the fact that you're able to get the functionality you're able to get is pretty fortunate. In some cases, none of the functionality works, and it's not designed to. Anynet+ isn't built into the game console.

--HDTech

Collapse -
It is supported on the PS3 Slim models
by ChocoboX / September 28, 2010 2:04 AM PDT

If I understand it correctly Anynet+( = HDMI-CEC) which is similar to Bravia sync on Sony.

I had to Google a little bit but I got a nice article to talk about HDMI-CEC support on the PS3.
http://www.ps3court.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4125

So it seems that the PS3 slim which I have in fact supports HDMI-CEC that's why the TV picked up the PS3 under devices. It is a nice feature as when I power on my PS3 the TV powers on automatically and switch to the correct input. If I turn off the TV while using Anynet+ then it turn off the PS3 as well. I can navigate the XMB interface of the PS3 and play movies. Also the remote control of the TV works when playing Blu-ray movies. All buttons work (options menu, arrows, FF, RW, volume, cancel) but Play/Pause! I don't know why.
Maybe a firmware update on the TV could fix it. Would someone from Samsung work on that? It would be really cool to get those two buttons to work.

Collapse -
It is supported on the PS3 Slim models
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 28, 2010 8:59 AM PDT

ChocoboX,

To clarify, HDMI-CEC is supported. However, Anynet+ and BraviaSync are two separate (and not necessarily "compatible") versions of HDMI-CEC, since most manufacturers have their own standards and limitations.

The fact that Anynet+ works as well as it does with BraviaSync is, like I stated, a good thing since you have some functionality. But I can't suggest that added functionality to make them more compatible will be offered. I wish I had better news, but I hope being straightforward is appreciated too.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Solved !
by ChocoboX / October 3, 2010 3:19 AM PDT

Just wanted to let other people who are reading this page that Play/Pause in fact works! I got a DVD from Red Box last night and I didn't feel like using the controller. So after some playing with the remote I got it.

The Play/Pause buttons on the remote have incorrect codes sent to the PS3. So the PS3 cannot recognize them. However, pressing Enter button (the button in the center of the 4 navigation buttons) acts as play/pause button. So now my Samsung TV can use the PS3 as good as Sony Bravia sync. Although Best Buy people will tell you to get Sony Bravia TV if you have a PS3 but now you have another option!

Unfortunately, the way I see it is that Samsung will not fix this. They even don't bother to look this up.

I love my Samsung TV more now Happy

Collapse -
No need for a PS3 remote?
by MarvinHC / November 11, 2010 4:10 PM PST
In reply to: Solved !

Hi,

sorry for the very basic question:
But if I get you right, you don't need the PS3 remote anymore to run Blu Rays, i.e. the Samsung one is good enough?

Just ordered a Samsung UE40C5100 and am tempted to get a PS3 instead of a Blu Ray player... not having to order an additional Blu Ray remote would further motivate me Wink

Collapse -
No need for a remote
by ChocoboX / November 11, 2010 10:06 PM PST

Yes, no need for a PS3 remote as you can use Anynet+ to control the PS3. You can use it as if it was a PS3 remote. Very cool and convenient.

Collapse -
Solved !
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2010 8:28 AM PST

ChocoboX,

Well, the Anynet+ is the Samsung code bank. Sony has, if I'm not mistaken, their version of CEC called BraviaNet. The two aren't typically compatible.

I'm glad you got it working for your situation, however, it's not a case of "not bothering", but recognizing that there are two different versions of CEC in play that are (usually!) exclusive to each manufacturer. I hope you don't feel let down, but I can't possibly know compatibility with hundreds of different CEC-enabled product combinations on the market.

I do appreciate you sharing your findings, and I'm happy to hear that you love your TV. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
Compatibility
by ChocoboX / November 12, 2010 8:36 PM PST

I'm well aware of Bravianet and actually Best Buy recommended me going with Sony TV instead of Samsung when I told them my intention to get PlayStation 3.

Well, if Samsung can take feedback from different users regarding their experience with different CEC products on the market and increase the compatibility I'm sure that will increase sales of their appliances.

BTW, for the PS3 CEC to work you will need the Slim model. I read an article about lack of CEC from the Fat PS3. I don't have a Fat one so I couldn't try it.

Collapse -
Compatibility
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 13, 2010 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Compatibility

ChocoboX,

I agree that building options for open, or at least wider compatibility is a good idea, and will continue sending that feedback up. It's not the first time I've heard game console feedback that mirrors what you posted, but I'm always happy to add another voice to prior requests. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
cnc compliance
by yakem1 / August 3, 2012 9:56 PM PDT

Hi,

Pardon me, but that is just bulls##t. The hdmi cec standard is designed to be operational between brands. The vendor specific part is just on top of that. (Have you actually read the hdmi specification?)
Samsung want to use the hdmi cec, but has deliberately denied any other brands to interact. It used to work (prior to 2010), but Anynet has since been abused to make consumers less free of choice.
Saying that Anynet+ is cec compliant is at the moment like saying North Korea has free and fair elections: Only one party votes counts.

Regards,
/Frustrated

Collapse -
I wish it was that simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: cnc compliance

ARC is another standard that doesn't always work.
The new Ethernet over HDMI is another failure I'm seeing.

Ever get the feeling we are beta testers?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?