Storage forum

General discussion

Samsung 970 Pro and Evo

Hello guys,
I am looking forward to the next version 2280 M.2 SSD. I am very interested in the past versions like Samsung 960 Pro and Evo but I think I might wait on this new one, the Samsung 970 Pro or Evo. I am not to sure when they will be out on the market though. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 970 Pro and Evo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 970 Pro and Evo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For most

In reply to: Samsung 970 Pro and Evo

It will make little difference. That is, at the office we shop for SSDs but don't over analyze the models.

The 2280 M.2 is just another form factor and connection. In my view, just another form and nothing new at all.

Collapse -
Games and Flight Simulators

In reply to: For most

Well actually it's an NVMe SSD drive that I'm looking in to, so that I can play games and run 2 flight simulators that take a couple of minutes. Plus to speed up my boot time, which takes about 2-3 minutes.

Collapse -
SSD can be amazing.

In reply to: Games and Flight Simulators

We had a 2006 Dell e1505 Inspiron with 1GB RAM, CoreDuo and standard SSD. Windows 10 could boot from cold and get a web page showing in 35 seconds.

This is why I think for most of us the change from SATA with SSD to M2 won't make a big diff.

At 2 to 3 minutes my bet is this is on HDD.

Collapse -
Yes HDD

In reply to: SSD can be amazing.

Yes, It's on an old hdd...I think it's an Toshiba and it's some long name.

Collapse -
I'll guess

In reply to: Samsung 970 Pro and Evo

Joe User would not see any difference between a sata3 ssd and a M.2 ssd for the stuff they run.

Yes benchmarks will show a difference.

I'd have to think twice about paying a premium for the M.2 unit.

If you want the best of the best for bragging rights and money is no object go for the M.2 unit.

Collapse -
I'm really interested

In reply to: I'll guess

I am really interested in computers and how they function..I'm learning about graphics cards sounds etc. guess you can call me a geek.Any way I'm really interested in NVMe M.2 SSD drives.The Computer that I'm working on is an Laptop MSI GS63VR 6RF Stealth Pro.

Collapse -
Let's simplify this.

In reply to: I'm really interested

"NVMe M.2 SSD" is just another form factor of SSD drives. To get laptops thinner, this helps. There is no Earth shattering gain here. And the only reason I need to know about NVMe M.2 SSD drives. is to be able to order and fit in the drive.

Yes, there are folk that will read the benchmarks but given that 2006 Dell which was a dinosaur of a laptop and it's 35 second cold boot to a web result even if it had NVMe M.2 SSD I doubt it would make much difference.

The market thrives on marketing items like this. Some ask why we don't shut up and let the masses be fleeced.

Collapse -
Good for you

In reply to: I'm really interested

Learn about the different parts.
How things function.
The buzz words.

That way the machine won't be a mystery to you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.