Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 850 w/expressvu 9200 ir remote

by weiser 1 / December 3, 2008 1:38 PM PST

I just purchased a new Samsung 850 series lcd 52 inch tv. (Nov 2008). As soon as I turned the power on the TV my IR remote for my Bell Expressvu HD Satelite receiver quit working. I contacted Bell and they advised me that it was a problem related to the tv and that I would need instruction on turning something off (on the tv) in order for my remote to work properly. I contacted Samsung and explained the problem and the person I spoke with said that they were not aware of any problems relating to IR remotes with their products. Upon reading various forums it has come to my attention that there is a problem. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is any information in correcting this issue. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 850 w/expressvu 9200 ir remote
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 850 w/expressvu 9200 ir remote
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IR
by lukster5 / December 3, 2008 6:31 PM PST

there should be a firmware upgrade to correct this issu, go to the Samsung web site and look for it

Collapse -
Samsung 850 w/Bell Expressvu 9200 IR Remote
by weiser 1 / December 3, 2008 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: IR

Thanks I will do that

Collapse -
Semi-known issue?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 4, 2008 11:01 AM PST

I'd classify this as a "semi-known" issue, maybe?

I've seen several reports on the internet here and there that describe this issue. I have brought it to the attention of our marketing and technical team here at Samsung.

I apologize for the inconvenience. I'm aware that several people are experiencing this issue, and am encouraging a fix for this issue already.

FWIW, the remote functionality will work after a few minutes of the television being turned on. At least, that's what several other people have noted. I will post on this forum if I get feedback from Samsung's engineering department.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by weiser 1 / December 4, 2008 12:08 PM PST
In reply to: Semi-known issue?

Thanks HD Tech
I have explained my situation to a representitve at Samsung, who has openned a file on the issue. She was going to contact her tech dept as well. She did mention that she has had one other related problem that occured approx 3 yrs ago. The remote/receiver works perfectly fine when the tv is off, but I lose remote funtion as soon as the tv is turned on and will not function even after time passes. The 850 is an awesome tv and I reserched many forums including C-NET who rate the tv very high(I based most of my info gathering on the Series 7)It was suggested to try a harmony remote which I will try tonight. I will post how it goes.

Collapse -
(NT) Keep us posted....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 4, 2008 7:31 PM PST
Collapse -
RE:SS w/expressvu 9200 remote
by katzzer / December 5, 2008 5:23 AM PST

I had the same issue with a Comcast stb. The TV is mounted on the wall which makes the problem more profound IMO. I'm using a HotLinkPro IR repeater in this case with the components on shelves in a closet behind the TV. Before wall mounting the Hotlink worked well. I have the HotLink IR indicator behind the bezel on the left bottom and the IR receiver also behind the bezel more towards the center. The eye of the Hotlink receiver is facing the wall. I took a sheet of black construction paper and made an enclosure about 6" wide and 1.5" deep. It's closed on the sides and top and open on the bottom to receive the stb's IR signal. The enclosure is of course in back of the eye taped to the back of the case. My thinking was to block the IR emitting from the sets fluorescent back light and allow a path for the remote to bounce its signal. And it works. The blue IR indicator allows for strategic placement of the cover. When the light goes out you?re close. I found when you place the shield, back away from the set because your body can reflect the signal making the blue light come on. It?s a PITA and a shame you have to take such measures with a set of this caliber. Samsung?s firmware fix with reducing the backlight and compromising picture quality is unacceptable

Collapse -
by weiser 1 / December 5, 2008 12:37 PM PST

Thanks for the info. So far I cant seem to get the Harmony Remote to work either. I think it might be time to take the tv back

Collapse -
No problem.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 5, 2008 1:22 PM PST

Hey, thanks for giving us your feedback.

The bottom line is that I want you to be happy. I'd rather we lose a sale today than lose a customer for life.

That said, I'm addressing this with the authorities that be, and I can't myself make a solution, but I'll encourage one from those who can.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.