Question

Samsung 850 EVO slow random speeds (4k)

Hello, I just ran userbenchmark and it says that my 850 evo (500GB) is way under expectations because of the random speeds. Is there any way to fix it? thanks.
My speeds from Samsung Magician:
https://imgur.com/XG0KnU7
I am using zenbook ux303ln, but I changed the SSD for the Samsung one

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung 850 EVO slow random speeds (4k)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung 850 EVO slow random speeds (4k)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Typically fixed by

1. Updating the SSD firmware and hoping that's it.
2. Changing to a faster SSD.

- Collapse -
Really

The 850 evo is pretty fast already.
The seq. speeds are ok and the firmware is already the newest.

- Collapse -
While it's usually the faster in its class

You have proved it's not good enough for you. I take benchmarks with a lot of salt. To get a benchmark to come close to what others get I find I have to duplicate their setups. For example there can be changes in motherboard drivers or someone installed a security suite which examines all reads and writes.

There is no "change this" answer outside of popping in a better SSD. I take it that since you are benchmarking you are conversant with what affects the numbers. Short answer is BIOS, drivers and what you installed besides the OS.

- Collapse -
Just a peek.
- Collapse -
Answer
Samsung 850 EVO slow random speeds

Samsung does not guarantee any specfic speeds with your drive with Rapid Mode. Rapid mode speed can fluctuate greatly at any point as the cache it creates is dynamic. This means that the larger the Rapid mode cahce is, the faster your benchmark results will be. However, there is no way to control how much RAM cache rapid mode is using at a given moment. It will change the cache dependent on your system resources. If there is a lot RAM avaliable, Rapid mode will try to maximize its size to a maximum of 4GB. If there is less RAM available, then Rapid mode will decrease the cache size to as small as possible.

Have you tried to check if there are any new SATA drivers for your system from your system manufacturer?

Also, can you running the benchmark without Rapid Mode, so that we can see your actual random IOPS?

Moderator Note: Links removed as off topic and spam.

Post was last edited on August 23, 2018 2:57 PM PDT

CNET Forums

Forum Info