Samsung forum

Question

Samsung 830 512GB SSD randomly disappears

by jfxrp / April 27, 2012 5:03 AM PDT

This occurred three times in two days. Even when I restart Windows, the drive cannot be seen in the BIOS until the drive is powered off and on. This reminds me of the infamous problem of OCZ SSDs.

Anyone else having this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 830 512GB SSD randomly disappears
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 830 512GB SSD randomly disappears
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Possibly need a Firmware Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2012 5:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
The drive has the latest firmware.
by jfxrp / April 27, 2012 6:55 AM PDT

The drive has the latest firmware CXM03B1Q. No upgrade was required.

Collapse -
Let's take it line by line then
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 29, 2012 11:22 PM PDT

jfxrp,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I did some research on your problem to see if anyone else had been experiencing this, but so far, I'm not finding anything. So let's do this the old fashioned way:

When did the problem start? And what changed right around then in your system?

Also, can you list our your system specs? Thanks.

--HD Tech

Collapse -
by jfxrp / April 30, 2012 3:53 AM PDT

The drive had this problem right from the start. All other drives work OK e.g. two Intel 510 SSDs never had this problem.

Collapse -
System Specs?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 30, 2012 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

jfxrp,

Could you list out your other system specs please? Like motherboard and processor, etc? I'm trying to get the full picture of your system.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
by jfxrp / May 2, 2012 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: System Specs?

CPU: Intel Xeon W3680
MB: Intel WX58BP

Collapse -
SSD Issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 2, 2012 1:58 AM PDT

jfxrp,

OK, so I've done all the looking around I possible can, and I haven't found anyone else with this problem from one of our SSD's. However, I have some possible solutions:

1) Check to make sure that all your drivers are up to date for your motherboard: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng

2) Check the physical connections between the motherboard to make sure they're firm and undamaged.

3) If the problem persists, then try disabling TRIM on the SSD, because I understand that some motherboards still aren't supporting that.

After that point, I'd return the SSD to the retailer, or if you've had it too long, go to this thread and get support to try to RMA it: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
by jfxrp / May 2, 2012 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: SSD Issues

Why did you ask for my system specs if you did not need them? Forward this bug report to the engineers and firmware developers. Reading the firmware release notes reveals that the drive had a similar problem in the past:

Release note
- Improved stability when waking up from hibernation mode (Blue screen, Hang problem solved)

Collapse -
Because I was trying to help you....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 2, 2012 4:06 AM PDT

jfxrp,

I was trying to see if there were any known conflicts with the OS or motherboard. So yes, I needed them.

Are you saying you've tried all those other possibilities and none of them helped?

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
by jfxrp / May 2, 2012 5:09 AM PDT

As I said, two Intel SSDs have no such problems - my computer is not the problem.

The bug described in the firmware release notes seems to be unrelated to hibernation only and also occurs during regular use.

Collapse -
That made me think about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2012 2:24 AM PDT

I wonder if this system requires Intel's RST app.

One of the nutty things we see today are makers of the PC fail to document this and all requirements for the OS (any in fact.) Few document how to install the OS to avoid such troubles.

The board and CPU are pretty power hungry so let's hope this is not some home brew.
Bob

Collapse -
Hmm. Dated chipset too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2012 4:20 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.