TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung 750 vs Sony XBR9 - I have tried both

by ScottAlb / February 5, 2010 2:38 AM PST

For those in a dilemna between choosing a Samsung or a Sony this review may help because I have purchased both within the last several days. I've noticed definite differences.

I initially purchased the 46 in Samsung Series 7 750 because of the great reviews. A few days later I took it back because its remote does not control the audio out volume . Since I run my sound through my stereo this was a major annoyance. I exchanged it for the Sony XBR9.

I personally like the feature set on the Sony better than the Samsung. It allows more flexibility such as labeling source inputs and the aforementioned contolled variable audio out. However the picture on the Samsung is in most cases better. Surprisingly Samsung seems to have a much better video processor than Sony. The Sony to exagerate noise and pixelation and has more artifacts. On pure 720p HD and 1080p there isn't much difference between the two, but on lower quality and standard signals the Samsung makes them definetly look better.

Even when in HD such as on a 1080i broadcast the fine patterns in say a herringbone suit will sometimes strobe on the Sony which is very annoying. Perhaps I haven't yet learned the correct settings on the Sony, but all I know is it didn't do it on the Samsung right out of the box.

There is much talk about the glare on the Samsung, but I did not find this to be a problem or at least not worse than the Sony. The Sony's matte screen produces a more diffuse glare, but because its covers a larger area I am not sure that is really an advantage. In both sets once the screen is on the glare in usually unoticeable. I probably even prefer the Samsung on glare.

Bottom line: If picture is your number one priority go with the Samsung. Everything looks good on it and has more picture adjustment than the Sony too. If features like controlling audio out and other such things are your priority go with Sony. All the features I think it should have it does. Its remote can even control my Series 2 Tivo.

Perhaps had I not viewed the Samsung first I probably would have thought the Sony picture was fine not realizing it could be better.

Finally Kudos to Best Buy for making the exchange so easy. Both sets were offering free Blu Ray players and Best Buy allowed me to exchange my Samsung player for the Sony and gave me $151 back to boot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 750 vs Sony XBR9 - I have tried both
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 750 vs Sony XBR9 - I have tried both
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
S vs S
by Dan Filice / February 5, 2010 4:17 AM PST

Have you been into the Forum along the left column here called "HDTV Settings"? You may find ideal settings there for your Sony.

Collapse -
S vs S - reply
by ScottAlb / February 5, 2010 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: S vs S

No I haven't but I will and report back. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?