Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung 720P vs 1080P

by markspud / June 23, 2007 12:01 PM PDT

I am trying to decide between these 2 tvs. The cost differential is $500. Is it really worth $500 more when you can only watch 1080P on Blu-Ray? Even then, I understand that there is little discernable difference when watching at a 13" distance. I have DirecTv and understand that it will be some time before regular broadcast will be in 1080P. By then, I'll be able to upgrade to the next generation 1080P TV. What is wrong with my thinking?

Samsung 46" T4642H (720P, 1080i))
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Contrast Ratio 7000:1
Brightness 550 cd/m2
Viewing Angle 178

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 720P vs 1080P
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 720P vs 1080P
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your call, of course. But I think you reveal 1080 is not
by NM_Bill / June 23, 2007 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung 720P vs 1080P

a really big issue for you as it is with some other folks. My inclination betrays my opinion, but I am one who says 720 is so good that it is fine for non state of the arrt gamers & those wholust to watch BluRay quality flics (admittedly a very nice experience.)

Practicality rules the day in my book. Why overspend in times of fast evolving technology? Have some pretty good years while saving some money for when you eventually will be ready or that next step. Nothing wrong with your thinkng.

By the way, you list some stats. I often mention that people may get hung up on stats taht are for a lot if not most people, non-issues. For instance, if you had to watch one of those TVs at or near that 178 degree angle - that would be an unpleasant, second rate experience.

Collapse -
by kameleon_o / June 23, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

I don't think there's anything wrong with your thinking. Viewing distance is really important in a decision like yours. Like you said, Direct TV doesn't even broadcast in 1080P yet, so it would be kind of wasted.

On the other hand, I always like to buy the best I can afford so I won't ever 2nd guess myself later. I just helped a friend buy a Sony LCD with a PS3 and the blue ray looks awesome.

Are you locked in to only those two models that you will buy?? I read some of the reviews and they seem like good sets but expensive. Where did you get your prices?? Under cnet's reviews they have some pretty good prices. The 1080P is less than $300 more than the 720P from the source with the best prices. Here's their link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/samsung-ln-t4642h-46/4014-6482_7-32369003.html?tag=bc&ar=o

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/samsung-ln-t4661f-46/4014-6482_7-32385769.html?tag=ob_210&orderby=210&sort=asc&ar=o&ar=o

Collapse -
IF YOU FOLLOW THIS SITE REGULALLY, YOU KNOW.................
by Riverledge / June 23, 2007 2:11 PM PDT

LOTS OF US PUSH "THE BIGGER IS BETTER," theory when it comes to HDTV sets; not that we're making a profit, just that many regret not buying the next larger screen once it is in their home. You seem determined to purchase a 46" model. Is that a spatial matter or budget limitation? Can you accommodate a 52" SAMSUNG?

SAMSUNG's new LCD 65F series; that's the step up line from the 61F line. The rave reviews for the LN-T4665F/LN-T5265F continue to come in, as they are full HDTVS; 1080P. The LN-Txx61Fs are also quite capable.

Then again, there are other brands beyond SAMSUNG, as well...........

Best shopping,
River.

Collapse -
Reason for focusing my question.
by markspud / June 23, 2007 2:22 PM PDT

Thank you all for your input.
I limited the choices to Samsung because their have been many rave reviews (including friends). It is also impressive in the store.

The 52" is getting out of my price range. It would seem to make more sense to purchase a Samsung 46" versus a 52" of a lesser brand at the same price. (the room has many windows which is the reason for LCD vs plasma)

I just sometimes feel like buying a 1080P is like buying a race car with a speedometer to 120 when you can only drive 65. But... I may go with it anyway. I appreciate everone's assistance

Collapse -
MARK. WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR HDTV BUDGET?...................
by Riverledge / June 23, 2007 3:49 PM PDT

HIGHER THE BETTER, OF COURSE. WITH A FIRM BOTTEM-LINE WE CAN ASSIST YOU MUCH MORE HONESTLY.

At this point there are entire brands and technologies you're neglecting by default. Yes, I know the the new SAMSUNGS are quite fantastic, as I am also in the HUNT!!!

Would like to share some new plasma info with you if you're interested.

Good wishes,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
1080p Worth $500 at 13' Viewing Distance?
by HaveToAsk / June 23, 2007 11:30 PM PDT

I like your thinking. At 13', I don't think you'll be able to see a difference between 720p and 1080p. In fact, it is my belief that you need to be looking at a TV around 70" to be able to appreciate a difference. I put together a chart to help make this sizing/resolution decision. Bottom line, though, it is personal preference.

http://ifuhavetoask.blogspot.com/2007/05/size-matters.html

You are further justified in going 720p if you plan on upgrading in a few years. I think by the end of 2008, the program viewing landscape will change quite a bit, giving more options for 1080p. As more people buy these high-res sets, more content will become available - that is almost guaranteed. In the meantime, Blu-ray and HD DVD are great ways to enjoy 1080p. If you're going to decide between these two formats, you may want to check this out, too:

http://ifuhavetoask.blogspot.com/2007/06/hd-dvd-blu-ray-hd-blues.html

One more thing. To get a graphical illustration of the difference between standard DVD (480p), 720p and 1080p, go to the post below and click on the image in point #3. When this is fully expanded, you can get a similation of the differences. Of course, as you stated, at 13' you really can't see that.

http://ifuhavetoask.blogspot.com/2007/06/ignorance-is-not-bliss-what-are-ten.html

I hope that helps,

HaveToAsk.com

Collapse -
Good Link
by kameleon_o / June 24, 2007 12:03 AM PDT

That's a pretty informative link. The 3rd one you provided. I wish I had had that info when I bought my TV!!! Of course, that was 2 1/2 years ago, but still.

One thing that I've learned recently is what was stated in that link is about the contrast ratio. Most of these new sets try to wow you with their dynamic contrast ratio. They run a test that will result in the highest result possible. I've read that contrast ratio is totally subjective to how much light you have in your viewing room. If there's the light from a single candle in the room, the human eye can't differentiate between 10000:1 contrast ratio and 500:1. I wonder if that's true??

Collapse -
Nice
by ..ben / September 13, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

Excellent chart. If you're eyesight isn't 20/20, definitely go bigger. I fall into this category...

13' is far for 46", 1080p is far beyond visual acuity at that distance. I'd agree that the extra cost is not justified.

Collapse -
samsung 720p vs 1080p
by hammer1253 / September 12, 2007 6:37 AM PDT

i have been researching the same two tv's

which tv did you end up buying?
and how is it?

Collapse -
Samsung 46" T4642 (720P, 1080i) was what I chose
by markspud / September 15, 2007 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: samsung 720p vs 1080p

Samsung 46" T4642 (720P, 1080i) was what I chose. I am not a gamer (mostly sports or my 2 yr old watches Curious George) and HDTV does not transmit 1080p signal. The picture is amazing (Samsung is the way to go). I have it connected to HD_DirecTV via Harmon-Kardan AVR247 receiver. For DVDs I have a Samsung DVR (w/ upconversion).

I had a professional install- would highly recommend that.

($400-500 I saved by not purchasing th 1080p, paid for the receiver). No regrets
Good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!