Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 7000 series & DNLA

by DAN GERSON / January 14, 2010 3:06 AM PST

Looking to purchase a 7000 series Samsung LED TV very soon. I have read a lot of conflicting information regarding DNLA support, and I want to have a clear understanding considering Samsung is using it as a selling point.

Currently I have a Netgear ReadyNAS which supports DNLA, and I currently use it now with the WDTV Live device, works great. If this TV is able to replace the WDTV Live and stream direct to the TV, that would be the goal. Most of the files are divx or xvid.

My question is will this TV be able to handle the basic functionality such as play, pause, ff, and rew? I hear that Play is not an issue, but the rest would be pretty dang helpful. I do not plan on using the samsung pc share software as I dont have a spare PC laying around to act a server. The NAS is there for this reason.

Is this a firmware issue? Is it more than that? Looking for a solid answer.

thanks
Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 7000 series & DNLA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 7000 series & DNLA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 7000 series & DNLA
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2010 4:51 AM PST

DAN GERSON,

We can only support PC Share Manager officially in terms of troubleshooting and for codec support. So what's listed in the manual is what we do know will work. Here is a list from the manual:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/DLNA7000.jpg

Also, not all formats allow all of the functionality you listed. That also is outlined in the manual. While different drives may or may not be compatible (I can't speak to that since there are such a diverse number of possible solutions), even with PC Share Manager, some of the functionality limitations are listed in the manual.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/DLNANotSupport-1.jpg

So if a different unit or software package works better, then I'll let the forum members speak to that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
my 46 inch 7series led-tv
by xtralars / January 18, 2010 4:30 AM PST

I'm using my led-tv to stream from my Synology CS-407 NAS.
It works great, except a couple of things.

1: If I pause a video for a long time, when I press play it seems like it plays the cache and then stops as if reaching the end of the video.
2: I can't ff/rew. Wich makes point 1 crazy annoying since I have to watch everything all over.
3: It doesn't support DTS sound. According to this forum, this is not something that will be changed.

So it seems to me that a 6-series led-tv plus a box like wd tv live would be a better solution.
It annoys me that my tv does 95% of what I need it to, and has these 3 things that makes me want/need to buy more equipment.. My plan was not to...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.