TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung 67" DLP vs. Sony 60" A2020 SXRD.

by Louis39 / April 2, 2007 12:46 PM PDT

I saw the Samsung 67" HL-S6767W at Costco for $3,800 Canadian. It supposedly has 1080P resolution but the information at the Toshiba website is very limited. A couple of questions for anyone that can help me out. Does this television not only accept a 1080P source such as from a Blu-Ray player but does it also display in 1080P? It seems that a lot televisions that indicate 1080P actually down convert to 1080i. My other option would be the 60" Sony A2020 SXRD. It has something on the front that says "Full 1080P" so I assume it accepts and displays in 1080P. The one negative I have read about the SXRD is about the bulb burnout.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 67" DLP vs. Sony 60" A2020 SXRD.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 67" DLP vs. Sony 60" A2020 SXRD.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it says it's 1080p then
by bkchurch / April 2, 2007 1:05 PM PDT

It will display in 1080p because that is it's native resolution, the TV's that display 1080p in 1080i or 720p are sets that have those native resolutions but still accept a 1080p signal. If this TV is a newer model (2006 or 2007) then it will accept and display 1080p and upconvert all other resolutions to 1080p, if it's from 2005 or before then it will do the same but it will accept 1080p as 1080i and de-interlace it so essentially it will be a 1080i signal upscaled to 1080p, regardless it will look fantastic. The SXRD probably says "Full 1080p" because that is it's resolution (1920x1080) whereas the Samsung DLP is actually 960x1080 and achieves full 1080p through an effect called wobulation, in the end you still get 1080p and you essentially have the same number of pixels and there is more or less zero difference. Honestly don't worry about resolution that much even if the TV was 720p it would look awesome and resolution is actually the 4th most important aspect of a TV, color accuracy, saturation, and contrast all outclass resolution.

Now as for which to get I'll say this: look at each of them, toy around with the settings, and buy the one you think looks best. My personal opinion is go with the Samsung because I think the color is better and the picture is sharper than the SXRD and you're getting an extra 7" of real estate over the SXRD.

Collapse -
TELL ME HOW TOSHIBA FALLS INTO EQUATION???
by Riverledge / April 2, 2007 1:07 PM PDT

river.

Collapse -
OLD MAN RIVER YOU ARE BEING NASTY AGAIN AND PICKEY
by stewart norrie / April 2, 2007 1:43 PM PDT

So he made a mistake expect me to follow your posts and I will spank you Like I have told you many many times you used to be so nice and helpfull no all you do is put people down So Iam going to call Dr. Ruth for you calm down If you have problems I will chear you up your friend even thou you hate me ha ha stewe

Collapse -
sam vs son
by jonnybones / April 2, 2007 2:23 PM PDT

I have seen both models, and although I am a fan of samsung 90% of the time over sony, large projections happen to be the other 10%. I am basing this off of HD-Cable since I have not seen the samsung on a blu-ray, but it just doesnt look that good on 720p cable. This is the one situation where I would justify spending the extra money for a sony over a samsung.

Collapse -
SONY Vs SAMMY
by stewart norrie / April 2, 2007 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: sam vs son

From the expert ha ha. Ok time for beheading. The Sony does a better job at upconverting low resulation sources. But I cannot tell any difference with a 1080I source I just fiddled with the new Sony 70" monster at Best buy playing a blue ray movie I also have a blue ray unit and Both put out a stunning pictureThe choice is your good and good hunting stewe

Collapse -
Ooops
by Louis39 / April 2, 2007 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: SONY Vs SAMMY

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Yes I did goof by saying at the Toshiba site. What I did mean of course was Samsung. Also, the limited info that I found was at Samsung.com as you cannot find anything about the 67" at the Samsung Canada site so I can only assume that Costco got it from one of their stores in the States as opposed to through Samsung Canada.

Collapse -
(NT) I'm pretty sure he said the TV was 1080p
by bkchurch / April 3, 2007 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: sam vs son
Collapse -
39 what ever you buy make sure its 1080P
by stewart norrie / April 3, 2007 4:31 AM PDT

But only Blue Ray will you see the difference and if you buy a smaller display 1080P would be a waste of your money I have a blue ray player and there is a difference in picture quality with 1080P but ha my monster is a 72" beast good luck stewe

Collapse -
Bulb burnout?
by Coryphaeus / April 3, 2007 10:32 AM PDT

What do you think powers the Samsung? A bulb, or, excuse me, they call it a "Light Engine", will burn out. Average is about 5,000 hours. Figure five hours a day usage, average, well, you do the math on the lifetime in days/years.

I don't mean to be cryptic, but all rear projections (with the exception of CRT) use bulbs.

Back to your question, I have the Sony 55" SXRD and it does accept and display 1080P. No conversion.

Collapse -
samsung dlp
by widojofus / April 5, 2007 6:28 AM PDT

it is 1080p, full 1080p

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?