Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 630 series 120hz, cheaper than 650

by CyclonicKitten / June 17, 2008 9:28 AM PDT

So i talked to a Samsung rep today (actually a regional lead was WITH our normal Samsung rep) at my store and he said samsung is coming out with a 630 series of TVs. Its basically a 550 series TV with 120hz (thats all he could tell me). It will only be $200-$300 more than a 550 TV instead of $600 like a 650 series would be. He also said that the price of the 650 series is due to drop in June, possibly by this weekend. Hopefully this info helps someone who is thinking of getting a samsung TV.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 630 series 120hz, cheaper than 650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 630 series 120hz, cheaper than 650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are your thoughts on this?
by Mr__S / June 18, 2008 1:57 PM PDT

Cyclonic Kitten -

I usually don't like to comment on upcoming products launches like this because it's not final yet and I don't want to comment on anything until it's been confirmed. However, I'm interested in your opinion. Do you think a 630 (as you described) is needed or would be successful?

Thanks for contributing to the forums.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
samsung 630
by CyclonicKitten / June 24, 2008 12:03 PM PDT

I understand your unwillingness to comment on the subject. =) However i DO think it is needed and would sell very well at our store. Customers i talk to daily fall in love with the 650's automotion plus/120hz however its price alone that stops them. The 550 is more in the price range of customers in my area however its hard for the undiscerning customer to notice a difference between say a 550 series and sharp in the same price range. If a 630 combined the 120hz tech of a 650 into a 550 series TV, even with a matte screen, i feel that it would be a very hot item. Especially if it was priced 150-250 dollars more than a 550 series tv.

Collapse -
It sounds very interesting...
by simonfudge / July 1, 2008 12:39 AM PDT

I have been researching all kinds of hdtv's for a few months now. Like most people, I want to get the best for the money that I have. I have my mind set on getting a Samsung and will purchase one before Christmas. The catch is, I'm not too sure on the 550 series due to the fact that I hear there is some ghosting and motion blur. I would love the 650 series, but it is just that much out of my price range that I can't justify buying it. If however there was a happy medium in the 630 series, I would more than likely grab that one as it sounds like it would have the best of both worlds. I do hope that it doesn't have the red touch of color though, as my wife hates it...

Collapse -
Need for a 630
by raiderspe / July 7, 2008 3:00 AM PDT

I believe that a matte version of the 650 would be a perfect addition. I am currently trying to decide between the Sony Z series and the Samsung A650. Even though the picture is better on the Samsung i am leaning towards the Sony purely due to our viewing habits and room lighting. This new line would def put a wrinkle in my current thoughts. So, needed - Yes, Successful - Yes, based on comments seen in forums regarding the reflections of the A650.

Has this product line been finalized yet?

Collapse -
I've seen a price INCREASE in the last week...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / June 21, 2008 5:36 AM PDT

I'm interested in a 58" PN58A650, though I'm trying to decide between it and a 50"-er. We were on vacation for a week; before I left, I'd done a pricegrabber+Amazon check, and the best prices were in the $2400-2600 range (one with free shipping and a wall-mount thrown in). When I came home, ready to order, the best price had jumped to 2999.99. I assume that's the end of a Moms, Dads, and grads promotion, as they'd been slowly dropping over the month before we left. Glad to here there's a cut coming -- but it may just be a July 4 special, no??

Meanwhile, I have a couple of questions you might be able to answer. The specs on the PN58A650 give the following information:

Approximate Dimensions:

* With Stand
o Width: 55.4"
o Height: 36.5"
o Depth: 13.6"
* Without Stand
o Width: 55.4"
o Height: 33.9"
o Depth: 3.9"

I want to use this unit in an entertainment center with a 34" vertical opening (that's with the drop-down holders for the DVR and hybrid VCR/DVD in place). Do you know of any kind of stand that could be used so the unit would fit? Another option is reinforcing the back wall of the entertainment center and doing a wall mount -- but does the wall mount retain access for the all-important rear I/O?

Input & Output (Back)
* HDMI: 2 (ver. 1.3)
* Composite(AV): 1
* PC input (D-sub): 1
* Component(Y/Pb/Pr): 2

Thanks very much for any light you can shed!
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
Hmm, how will the A630 stack up against...
by 8IronBob / June 21, 2008 10:59 PM PDT

I know that this is the Samsung forum, and I'm not one to mention another brand, but it sounds like this television sounds somewhat similar to that other brand's "W" series LCD, but I can't be too sure if it'll have the same features as that, tho.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.