HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 6 series 40" LCD

by SE2008 / May 17, 2009 9:16 AM PDT

Hello,

First post, and I'm really pleased to see Samsung taking such a positive step forward with this forum. I have a question about the Samsung 6 series 40" LCDs.

I'd especially like input from the Samsung HD Techs or anyone else with deep product knowledge on this question.

I'm in the market for a 40" Samsung with a matte black screen. That pretty much narrows it down to the LN40A630 (last year's model which is almost impossible to find in stock anywhere) or the 2009 LN40B630.

Of course, there are no perfect TV's...;)

What I (and many other people esp. on the AVS Forums) am looking for is something along the lines of an LN40B730 or B830 (which don't exist). Give us all the bells and whistles along with the matte screen!

I really like the connectivity (DLNA) options that are available on the B650's and above. If someone from Samsung can confirm that the B630 can handle DLNA via the wireless dongle or LAN/Ethernet connection, then that's it, my search is over.

What are my options if the b630 doesn't support the "Medi@2.0"/DLNA solution?

Since there is no official documentation that I could find online about the b640, can someone tell me what feature set that unit has?

I think at this point I am basically looking at either the LN40B650 or LN40B750 as the best fit for my needs (since I can not find any info on the b640), and will have to hope that the ultra clear panel isn't too much of a deal breaker...although some people have actually returned the 650's for 630's (both A and B series) because the glare was too much.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and for your replies...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 6 series 40" LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 6 series 40" LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 6 series 40" LCD
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2009 4:18 PM PDT

SE2008,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for taking the time to voice your concerns. I'm open to a discussion, because I think you make a great point. I'll answer what I can this evening, and follow up with what I can't answer later. I'm not going to be able to provide any definitive "company statements" per se, but let's pinpoint a few details, and I'll send a report to our marketing team.

From the available specs I have today, the LN40B630/640 do not have Internet@TV, or Medi@2.0. I'll confirm that tomorrow.

To answer why the matte screen units don't have the "bells and whistles" is because the UltraClear panels have the best specs, and it's pretty common that the best panels get some additional features for a Top End product.

I admit, it's not much solace for the matte panel enthusiast, but I definitely see your point. And it's a good one.

We have taken steps this year to improve the UltraClear panel technology to address some of the reflection. In most cases, the reflection should be able to do a better job than ever before and still produce an amazing picture. There is still reflection on matte finish panels - albiet it's softened, but reflection nevertheless.

In some cases, the UltraClear will not work as well as a matte-finish panel would, but those cases are becoming less prominent as the technology moves forward. I think you'll be happy with the higher series - not just the features, but the picture quality that the UltraClear panel delivers.

Let's discuss, and I'll get an answer for you tomorrow.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung 6 series 40" LCD
by SE2008 / May 17, 2009 11:36 PM PDT

What I really respect in your reply and in what I've seen in some of the other threads I've followed is the nature/tone of the discussion.

I'm glad that we can take this above the adolescent flames of 'X sucks' or the overly defensive postures taken by many posters and engage in a informative dialogue.

Obviously, I've invested quite a bit of time to research what I think will be the best panel for my needs, and rarely do you see such a uniform agreement on a single manufacturer (Samsung). The only other possible contenders are the Toshiba ZV650 and the Sony XBR 7/8 series.

Essentially, I want to be able to connect my TV to my home network. At a minimum, I want to be able to stream content (preferably wirelessly) locally from my PC and/or other devices to my TV.

I was wondering if you could confirm/deny this bit of information located here (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305LN40630/Samsung-LN40B630.html?tp=161&tab=detailed_info):

"Media Play: Media Play enables you to view photos (JPEG) and movie (MPEG1/2/4, Motion JPEG, DivX, XviD) files, as well as listen to audio files (MP3) saved on a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device using the television's side panel USB type-A port. The television's Media Play function will only support MP3 music files with a high sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz. The television's USB port will support video resolution from 720 x 576 to 1920 x 1080. The maximum supported JPEG resolution is 15360 x 8640 pixels. Your JPEG and MP3 files must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT 32. The TV's USB port can recognize up to 10,000 files. You can use the television's remote control to operate basic playback functions of your JPEG or MP3 files.

* MP3 Playback: The television displays an on-screen list of your MP3 files to scroll through and select from. You can sort your music by title, artist, mood, genre, folder, or favorite. You can also select from a Repeat and Random playback mode.
* JPEG Playback: The television displays a thumbnail index of your photos to select from (15 per page). You can sort your images by date, color, folders, and favorites. When you have single image displayed, you can zoom (1x, 2x, 4x) and rotate (0, 90, 180, 270-degees) the photo. You can also view your images as a slide show. You can choose the slide show speed (Fast, Normal, Slow), slide show effect (None, Fade, Blind, Spiral, Checker, Linear, Stairs, Wipe, Random), and select an MP3 audio file as background music.
* Movie Playback: The movies stored on your USB Mass Storage Device can be sorted into the following categories - Date, Title, Folder, and Favorites. You can also control basic playback functions such as Play, Pause, Stop, Fast Forward, Rewind, Skip Next/Previous and Repeat. In addition, you can configure picture and sound settings. If you stop your movie, you can pick up where you left off using the Resume Play function.

Note: USB HUBs are not supported. MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is not supported."

Is this true? Can I attach a USB stick (not a USB HDD, I know) and play movies directly on the TV? I was curious because while I didn't see any mention of Medi@2.0 and/or InternetTV on the b630, this is the only place online where I've seen mention of this feature.

Given that the prices I've seen have been fairly close between the three sets (40b630, 40b650, 40b750) I think the only thing to do is to try out the 630 alongside one of the other sets and make the decision based on real-world conditions.

Finally, from a target market perspective, who is the b750 aimed at vis a vis the 650? Other than the 240hz and requisite 2ms response time, what are the differences in the sets/who would choose one set over the other.

Again, I truly appreciate the opportunity to have this discussion, it only reinforces my belief that I will be making the right choice with Samsung.

Collapse -
Samsung 6 series 40" LCD
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 19, 2009 3:33 PM PDT

SE2008,

Thanks for the kind words.

The description sounds pretty close, but I want to double check on some of the supported formats that are listed with what I have. The last thing I want to do is for you to order it, have it shipped and something be wrong. DivX and XviD are the two that I want to double check. I do believe all of them have thumbdrive accessibility, but I'll break it down when I get some additional specs, hopefully tomorrow.

The B630 will not have PC streaming functionality, and that begins with the B650 and up, which will also have 1GB of onboard memory. You are correct that the big difference between the 650 and 750 series is the 240Hz.

I'll clarify more tomorrow, and if you have more questions, keep them coming. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
ln40b650 streaming functionality
by helsaie / September 22, 2009 5:58 PM PDT

Hi,

I'm a bit confused by the reply to the previous post: "The B630 will not have PC streaming functionality, and that begins with the B650 and up, which will also have 1GB of onboard memory. You are correct that the big difference between the 650 and 750 series is the 240Hz."

Just to clarify, in this older post (http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?messageID=2942106&tag=forums06;posts#2942106) you are talking about the old 2008 A series and not the current LNXXB650 series, correct?

Due to input directly related by you regarding the LN40B650, I bought it almost two months ago...don't worry, I love the TV! I was worried about the glare from the clear/reflective screen but it's nowhere near as bad as most people made it out to be. As far as off-angle viewing issues, I've never had any problems even with a 90+ degree field of view between different areas in my living room. (As was said in a previous post, anyone watching an entire football game at a 173 degree angle has other problems to worry about :).

Awesome picture, I'm able to play 99% of the movies that I have on my hard drive through the USB connection (I have a 1.5TB drive directly connected to the TV).

After over a month of "out of stock" and other hassles, I just got my WIS09ABGN adapter a few days ago and I've started playing with it's functionality along with the PC Share application. It's a pretty rough application from what I've seen so far, but it gets the job done.

Two questions: Will I be able to stream Internet content from my PC directly to the TV? (I'm talking about Hulu-type things, apart from the built-in Youtube widget)

Trying to understand the networking component, can I set things up so that the content of the attached 1.5GB USB drive shows up on my network? This may be more of a windows networking question (I'm running Windows 7 with two computers in a Homegroup and the TV also shows up in the network device list), but I am unable to drill down into the TV icon.

Thanks as always for all your help and hard work!

Collapse -
ln40b650 streaming functionality
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 25, 2009 5:51 PM PDT

helsaie,

The older post was from January before the B-Series (2009) products came out. That was indeed reference to the LNxxAxxx series.

On to your questions:

1. Unless there is a specific widget that allows you to stream, the answer would be no. Hulu, for instance, would have to add a Hulu Widget for you to stream. However, a good workaround is to get a long D-SUB 15-pin VGA connector and you can watch the movies directly on your television using the television as a secondary monitor for your PC.

2. That kind of streaming may present an issue, but not to say it couldn't be done. The streaming may have an issue with the response time. From USB to computer to network to television may prove to be cumbersome, and that also may depend if your USB drive is 1.1 or 2.0. There are a couple of variables such as network speed as well. But you can try to network a folder in your USB drive using the PC Share Manager software and give it a run.

Be sure to share the folder in Windows, and then verify that it's shared in the PROPERTY menu (Right click on the folder in PC Share Manager and make sure it's shared) and then try to run the file.

Keep me posted. I'd be curious to know if it works. If not, try to transfer the file to the computer itself and see if that produces better results.

You're welcome. Happy to help! Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
Formats....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 20, 2009 6:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
re:
by tyrexden / June 29, 2009 7:45 AM PDT

i've gotten great success playing movie files such as mkv directly off a USB flash drive inserted to the USB port 1 on the 46B630.

The port itself is labelled as 'USB (HDD)', yet i'm hearing that i can't plug a USB drive into this, only a flash drive? is that correct?

i'm going to do a test, plugging my ipod in there as my source drive, but it will take some time, and just was curious if there is an official answer.

The USB flash drive source for movies is great... just wondering if i can use a bigger source.

Collapse -
bigger USB drive.
by brokenchode / July 29, 2009 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

Did hooking up a bigger USB source work? I am very interested in this feature.

Thanks

Collapse -
re:
by tyrexden / August 25, 2009 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: bigger USB drive.

since my last post... yes, i've successfully hooked up a 1TB drive to the USB port and it works flawlessly. Most .mkv's will be over 4GB, so you'll want to use NTFS file system when you format the drive.

Quick Format is fine.

Collapse -
650 LAN functionality
by johnsolder / June 8, 2009 12:06 AM PDT

I have a LN40B650. Great TV, love it. I have connected the LAN cable and can get the RSS info (weather, stocks...) I have connected an external USB hard drive and the TV found the device and I could see pictures, play music...

What I don't see is how to get the same "Media" functionality over the LAN that I can get via the USB. The LAN connects and tests successfully, how do I fire up the media center to find content on my network? It is an issus of getting DLNA loaded on a PC on my network? Will the TV find it automatically.

Pointing me to a wiki/faq would be great. TIA

Collapse -
650 LAN functionality
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 9, 2009 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: 650 LAN functionality

johnsolder,

If you're running it from a computer, try downloading PC Share 2.1 from the Samsung website.

2.1 was just released, and here is a link for it (Click on the round disc icon)

http://tinyurl.com/samsungpcshare21

--HDTech

Collapse -
re:
by tyrexden / July 1, 2009 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: 650 LAN functionality

i understand the 630 series don't have dnla support natively, but i wonder if it could be added thru some firmware update. maybe its a feature technically possible, but they don't give it to the 630 users so that they can distinguish the higher model pricepoints.

Collapse -
re:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 2, 2009 9:38 AM PDT

tyrexden,

DLNA is a step-up feature which does distinguish some models from others. I don't foresee an update via firmware - it's not a fun answer to give, but it's as straightforward as I can be.

--HDTech

Collapse -
re:
by tyrexden / July 13, 2009 6:59 AM PDT

no, i don't doubt that Samsung wouldn't willingly release such a firmware update... though what i'm wondering is if such a firmware update is technically possible to enable that DLNA function.

Collapse -
E-mail of 9/22/09
by joeinbh / September 22, 2009 11:56 PM PDT

Last night I received the following e-mail:

Title: Important Information about your Samsung Internet Enabled HDTV LN46B630N1FXZA

Body: Joseph,

In the next few days, an exciting new update will be available for your Samsung HDTV's Internet@TV service. This update will include new Video-on-Demand capability from Blockbuster and Amazon as well as a Fantasy Football widget that enables you to track your fantasy football team on your TV with a click of a button.

If you are one of the many of people currently using Samsung's Internet@TV please click here to learn how this update will be automatically delivered to your HDTV.

If you would like to learn more about the exciting experience Samsung's Internet@TV service provides, please click here.

The future of TV is here and it's on your Samsung HDTV!

Thank you,

Samsung Internet@TV Team

Has Samsung's position on this changed (maximizing the installed base of potential Amazon and Blockbuster customers at the expense of slightly cannabalizing B650 sales at this point in its life cycle)? Or was this e-mail - send to me AS A B630 OWNER - sent in error? Thanks!

Collapse -
E-mail of 9/22/09
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 25, 2009 6:12 PM PDT
In reply to: E-mail of 9/22/09

joeinbh,

I believe it was sent in error, but I will definitely get an answer to you as soon as possible.

I apologize for that, as I don't believe that to be the case.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LN40b630 - any news on the internet @TV feature?
by bolas777 / March 18, 2010 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: E-mail of 9/22/09

so it has been a long time coming and I am sure by now there is a way to get the 630 on the internet@TV? any updates? crossing fingers Happy

Collapse -
anything??
by bolas777 / March 30, 2010 1:56 PM PDT

Any response on this??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.