Samsung forum

Question

Samsung 55" LED Blurry Picture

by katerpoo23 / January 23, 2015 9:06 AM PST

My parents are in assisted living and the only TV connection available is by coaxial cable. The TV is so blurry that it is driving my father crazy. The assisted living facility suggested setting it the TV to Cable Analog. I can't find this setting and I thought all broadcasts were in digital format anyway. I haven't been able to get anywhere trying to find out who the provider actually is or even whether it is cable or satellite so I can't talk to them directly. Can anyone suggest a way to get a better picture?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 55" LED Blurry Picture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 55" LED Blurry Picture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If the COAX is supplying Standard Definition.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2015 1:56 AM PST

This is far too big a TV as it will amplify all the warts and issues with 480i Standard Definition. Get a set the size or just slightly larger than before to avoid amplifying SD issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Standard Definition
by katerpoo23 / January 24, 2015 10:09 AM PST

Can you offer a different solution? He is used to a 75" HDTV and downsized (reluctantly) to 55". Smaller is really not an option so is there a way to enhance/improve the definition?

Collapse -
What you need is a HDMI input, not coax
by wpgwpg / January 24, 2015 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: Standard Definition

As Bob suggests, using a coax for input means you have the old 480 lines per inch resolution that we had on the old CRT TVs before HD came out with up to 1080 lines per inch (1080P). Ask the landlord who the internet supplier is and whether you can set up your own separate account with a provider who can give you high def. Without that, you'll be stuck with the blurry picture.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Cable Provider
by katerpoo23 / January 24, 2015 1:10 PM PST

I have been trying to find out for 10 days who the provider is and the only response I get back is to switch the TV to Cable Analog. Thanks though!

Collapse -
You do realize...
by Pepe7 / January 24, 2015 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: Cable Provider

...that cable providers are granted licenses in local municipalities to operate. Call the township to see who has been granted to provide service in their area. It's typically a monopoly arrangement in most areas. If you provide them with the address, you can start there.

There's the possibility that it's a really crappy (split, multiple times) sat feed too. YMMV.

Collapse -
Cable/Satellite
by katerpoo23 / January 24, 2015 10:24 PM PST
In reply to: You do realize...

I think it is actually a satellite feed. I'm going to try and find a maintenance person and ask them since I can't get an answer from the folks in charge. If it is a satellite feed, would it have to be DISH or DirectTV or could they just have their own satellite dish and no provider?

Collapse -
'coax for input means 480i'
by Pepe7 / January 24, 2015 2:16 PM PST

No, not necessarily. While many use a cable box, some providers/systems may still be configured (even in multi-unit buildings) to split the signal so it enters each residence only via a coax cable. And as we all know, coax can transmit HD in addition to SD feeds.

Collapse -
HD vs. SD
by katerpoo23 / January 24, 2015 11:02 PM PST

Unfortunately, the assisted living facility says they only provide SD feed...

Collapse -
75" downsized to 55"
by Oldartq / January 24, 2015 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: Standard Definition

Does that make any sense? Come on, someone must be in charge there. Talk to him/her. Until all the facts are in, your guess is just as good as mine.

Collapse -
To me it does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2015 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: 75" downsized to 55"

When my dad moved to an assisted living they had no HD at the time. He went with a modest size TV and it wasn't too bad.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?