General discussion

Samsung 540 series HDTV popup blocks directv program info

I just bought a 40 inch Samsung LN40B540 HDTV which displays an impressive picture with Directv. Samsung has long been a partner with Directv, so I am surprised that when I change the channels on the Directv box, the TV generates an info box which hides the Directv Channel name, channel number, channel logo, and program title!

This forces to viewer to wait for the TV info box to go away, and by that time the Directv program info has also gone away, and then press
INFO on the Directv remote to redisplay the information so that it can be seen after EVERY CHANNEL CHANGE!

I seen nothing in the guide about fixing this problem, and the Samsung help line people don't know what I am talking about.

If this TV feature cannot be turned off or relocated to another corner of the screen, I will be forced to return this TV, which would be a real shame, but this is a "deal killer" annoyance!
Image here:

http://www.frankcoins.com/samsung540.jpg

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung 540 series HDTV popup blocks directv program info
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung 540 series HDTV popup blocks directv program info
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Change Native setting

Go into the menu of your Directv receiver. Select Setup, System Setup, then HDTV. Turn the Native setting OFF. Then move to the Resolution tab on that page and make sure that 1080i and 1080p are the only two resolutions selected.

This should stop that popup banner and make channel changes much faster.

- Collapse -

frankcoins,

The problem is the signal gets dropped from the DirecTV cable box. So when you switch channels, there is a break in transmission - and the television will identify the signal and launch the INFO bar. Since that's a non-toggle feature, there's not much that can be done about it at this point, unfortunately.

I will be passing this upwards, but I can't suggest a fix will be made at this point - I just don't have the authority to do so.

--HDTech

- Collapse -

Yep.. A very annoying feature. It occurs with our LN40C630 series as well and no way to turn it off. This completely disables the Direct TV programming info box at the top of the screen. I was hoping that Samsung could offer a patch to fix this.

- Collapse -

talon38,

- Collapse -
Samsung HDTV popups

Following your directions worked for me!!!!!! That was EXTREMELY annoying and couldn't figure out how to get it off. This does not happen on my sharp tv's. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

CNET Forums

Forum Info