HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

SAMSUNG 46D8000 TV-wireless network problems

by strangevine / May 4, 2012 9:11 AM PDT

I am having huge problems connecting wireless on this TV. It should have wireless built-in to the TV, but I'm not having any luck. I read all the forums and still no luck. Any help would be much appreciated. I've summarized the issue below as well as listed everything that I have tried:

SUMMARY: I select network settings on the TV and select wireless(general) for connection type. It then displays a message saying it is searching the wireless environment, and then after 10-15 seconds, the message disappears and it goes back to the network connection selection menu. In other words: nothing happens. I get no listing of available networks. no option to manually add a wireless network....nothing. I live in an apt complex, and there are tons of routers around and it doesn't display those either. I'm thinking I may have a defective TV.

The wired connection works just fine and they TV does display a MAC address.

I have AT&T uverse service with a 2wire3801HGV router.

what I have tried:

1) lowered router security from WPA2TPiK/AES to WPATPiK
2) ensured that SSID broadcast is turned "on"
3) placed my router within 6inches of the TV
4) tried every single wifi channel from 1-13, including the least traffic channels of 1, 6, and 11.
5) turned on MAC filtering on router and manually adding the TV's MAC address to the list of approved addresses. when this didn't work, I turned off filtering.
6) reset the TV to factory defaults
7) reset wireless router
Cool tried connecting on WPA2 (AES)

Right now, I am going to try unplugging the TV for 20 minutes in hopes that somehow that will work.

I am thinking I have a defective TV, but any help this forum can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMSUNG 46D8000 TV-wireless network problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMSUNG 46D8000 TV-wireless network problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It sounds defective but first.What channel is the router on?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2012 11:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
i've tried all of them

right now, it's on channel 6, but I've tried 1 and 11, as well as the other 10 channels as well.

I think it's defective as well. I'm looking to return and exchange for a panasonic plasma anyway!

Ofcourse, if you can think of any other solutions, i would be most appreciative.

Collapse -
The other solutions I use
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: i've tried all of them

Are called "Network Bridges" which obviate the need for the wifi in the device. It's a solution but may not be acceptable to some.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.