HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 46" TV Flickering Problem

by lukeyluke82 / July 9, 2009 4:07 PM PDT

Hi Everyone, I'm new here, so go easy!!

I have been experiencing a few problems with my my Samsung LA46A650 TV. (I'm in Sydney Australia, this is the Australian model, please don't cut me off at this point as i have no where like this to post in Australia.
)
I'm using a Panasonic DMP-BD35 Bluray player and an HDMI cable in between.

Basically when watching some DVD or Bluray movies a horizontal noise bar briefly appears on screen, and i get an associated 'pop' noise from the TV speaker. Occassionally the entire picture will drop out and the sound will continue. The TV works 100% perfect except for this very intermittent problem and only when watching over HDMI. FTA TV is fine... When i listen to the audio through my receiver over an Optical i can no longer hear any pop, but i can still see the dropout visually on the screen...

This doesn't appear to happen on all dics, for example i own Baraka on Bluray and it plays perfectly everytime, whilst the NASA missions on bluray does it a lot.

I initially thought it must be just a disc read error or incompatibility similar, but sometimes even after i press stop on the Panasonic remote and the screen reverts to the Panasonic menu it still occassionally pops.

I have the tv on 24p 1080p, but have tried different combinations with no good results...

I've updated firmware on both TV and Bluray player to the latest versions. Didn't help.

I've swapped the panasonic bluray player for another unit. Didn't help
I've tried 3 x different HDMI leads (last two i tried were quite expensive Gecko leads)

I recently had the TV 'repaired' where they swapped the main board and also the power inverter board. Didn't help...

The service technician, recommended to Samsung that i have my TV replaced with the slightly newer revision LA46B650 as he believes a new model with it's different video processing chip and firmware will probably iron out this issue. Samsung Australia have point blank refused to help me out, as an 'incompatability' isn't their problem.

So now i need your help, i'm quite over mucking round with the tv...

Please help!

- Luke

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 46" TV Flickering Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 46" TV Flickering Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 46" TV Flickering Problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 10, 2009 4:23 AM PDT

lukeyluke82,

I'm not sure what I can suggest in this case. You might see if you can escalate your issue to a higher "tier" where you can appeal the decision, but I have no authority over Samsung Australia (Or Samsung U.S. for that matter) when it comes to service issues.

I'm sorry, but outside of that, I have no known options to even suggest.

Are there other HDMI devices that work properly, or is it just the Blu-Ray player?

--HDTech

Collapse -
TV
by lukeyluke82 / July 10, 2009 10:37 AM PDT

Hi,

I actually only have the Blu-Ray player...

I believe i have been elevated to a higher tier, but they basically gave me the same answer. That 'incompatability' issues are not their responsibility. Unfortunately for the end consumer like myself, i am stuck between two large companies, Samsung and Panasonic and neither wish to help...

In a day and age where all electronic components are essentially mini 'computers' i can see this become a real problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.