Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 42 inch plasma clicking and not getting past standby

by Atdoodle / December 24, 2010 8:06 AM PST

My Samsung plasma tv has gotten the famous clicking stuck in standby mode problem just after warranty period like so many others.The model is Ps42b450b1wxxu.Samsung refuse to help and expect me to suffer an expensive diagnosis and maybe and expensive fix which is only guaranteed for three months.Besides doing alot of blogging and giving the product suitable poor reviews across many sites of my experience and in the process of taking actions even further once I get my engineers report to prove manufacture defect I really not sure whether to try and self repair the fault,risk expensive repair with a three month warranty or buy a different brand and learn to do more research into brands to check for abnormal consumer complaints.most advice from forums is to take them to watch dog,trading standards,as well as taking legal action...I know this but should I pay for costly repair which is only guaranteed three months or just suck it up and buy Panasonic or another suitable brand which somebody recommends with a better consumer report.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 42 inch plasma clicking and not getting past standby
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 42 inch plasma clicking and not getting past standby
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The bad caps issue is already "proven."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2010 8:30 AM PST

But the maker of the parts seems to be escaping your wrath. Are you aware of the source of this problem as well as all the other gear that is suffering this plague?

Collapse -
Mr samsung defender
by Atdoodle / December 24, 2010 11:48 AM PST

I've seen you defending the abnormally high amount of defective samsung tv on every forum using the excuse that we should blame capacitor manufacturer.when I buy any product with a brand name I do so in good faith that the brand i.e. Samsung should be experienced enough to not use defective parts on their tv that an abnormally large amount of their tv break down at the just past warranty period e.g two years and couple of months.the diagnosis is using too small a voltage capacitor resulting in them blowing and in a lot of cases causing more damage in other areas.I am simply educating the public about how so many consumers are being screwed as this failure occurs coincidently just after it's warranty period.The PR method seems to be allowing a small amount of customers a fix whilst having you defend Samsung by trying to blame the manufacturer of Samsung parts to appease the majority of people that didn't get this fix giving some the wrong impression that Samsung have finally taken responsibility for using defective or the wrong rated parts.I understand from research that Sony use Samsung parts because of some partnership due to them not making plasmas or LCD tv's...but am I supposed to research the source of every component transistors,capacitors,diodes,etc.inside every name brand I buy to ensure that brand doesn't use defective parts or the wrong components.I guess Samsung should give up making tv's or become a
budget brand if they don't know what they are doing.the service engineers said they will use Samsung parts to replace the faulty parts which will be very costly.I have no faith in Samsung components as they keep making this same mistake on so many of their flatscreen tv's and refuse to take responsibility.Hearing from others who had theirs repaired only to have it break down again does not fill me with faith.I don't think paying an expensive engineer to replace one Samsung part(or Samsung chosen part) with another with only a three month repair guarantee is very smart. .This is a very poor argument you use against so many disgruntled Samsung customers on other forums who have this clicking breakdown problem just after warranty.2.5 years shelf life of a tv is ridiculous for the price you pay as they are such a financially crippling investment.I know it is your job to defend them but have some compassion for the average consumer instead of using weak arguments to defend Samsung who in my opinion and the opinion of many others screwed over, are being greedy,unethical and very shady.We the consumer are the ones who suffer, Samsung don't care about the distress it causes people in such a poor economical has ruined my Christmas.why should Samsung care as long as the tv's are bought and their PR is spinning them excuses.Get a conscience and defend the customers not the giant,rich and greedy corporation that is Samsung.This is another case of capitalism giving power to the rich and powerful to exploit the weaker and harder working man/woman.Like I said,i'm aware that today's televisions aren't built to last,however a he'll of alot of samsung flatscreen tv's are breaking down just after warranty I right or wrong?I hear Sony are getting many complaints and that they use Samsung parts...coincidence?Name and shame the capacitor manufacturer that Samsung use so the consumer can blame them instead of poor Samsung who clearly don't know what they are doing.

Collapse -
Where did I defend them?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2010 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Mr samsung defender

I had hopes you would go after the maker of the bad parts that has wiped out what seems to be millions of devices.

--> But I see you missed out on my first sentence. The issue has more than ample proof.

This is not to defend any company but if you are going to go after someone, why not go after the source of the problem?

Collapse -
i see you didn't read my argument either
by Atdoodle / December 28, 2010 4:10 AM PST

Samsung should take liability for the parts they use and put their name to.You can't expect anyone with an electronic product that fails because of a manufacture defect to be able to diagnose which component whether capacitor,transistor etc. to then go after the manufacturer of the part. If your shoes' soles peel up because of the cheap type of glue they use you would be angry at the shoe company that use that cheap wouldn't hunt down the glue company.Samsung should then use a different capacitor company if so many of their PSU's keep failing conveniently just outside warranty,instead of letting so many complaints build up over the same clicking issue.If a certain production method or part is not working...change it.If they want to keep a good brand image then solve this issue.Palming off customers whos' tv's break down in such a short period is not showing faith in their it's the norm for it and that it's is a known issue and expected.They need better research into their parts and better quality assurance in that case instead of mass producing faulty tv's(sorry...mass producing tv's with faulty parts).Thankfully I have had a call from another Samsung rep who was far less patronising than the last one before.I am expecting a call from a service engineer to diagnose the fault and estimate the repair cost.Lets hope I do not have the "it's uneconomical to repair"scenario and have the thing written off.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?