General discussion

Samsung 40C5100 internet connect probs

I have installed a wired LAN to my belkin router which connects to my Virgin cable modem.
I have installed PC share manager ver 4.2.
I can share media to my PC via both Share mnanger and WMP 12.
The network test says all connections test OK.
I cannot get any indication of Internet connection.
If I select Software update, it searches then says 'no update available'.. doesn't say error of any kind.
Why can't I connect ??

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung 40C5100 internet connect probs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung 40C5100 internet connect probs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Samsung 40C5100 - LAN and WAN connection.

From your info it's hard to say why you cannot get connected - IF that is actually your problem?

I have same TV set, but a different router (linksys). I didn't investigate the internet connection, till AFTER I downloaded a firmware upgrade to a USB key, and plugged that one into my TV set and made the upgrade and everything worked fine.

After that I hooked up my TV set through the router to the internet - and just to confirm that no newer firmaware was available, I attempted yet a firmware upgrade, on-line. All my TV said this time was "no update available" - which is actually the truth, since no NEWER update was available!
You TV may already carry the latest edition. To check that out, browse the internet, and if you find a newer copy, do as I did by means of a USB key.

If you do have some kind of NAS or other shared homw network storage, you'll see in your source seselector (use the remote) that these sources are automatically being listed, so Video, Pics and Music in various formats can be played back directly on your TV.

IF these source options are being listed (under Source selector), you will at least know that your
IP and subnet mask 8that you HAVE to enter manually and according to your router setup) is working.

Good luck

The Real Deccard

- Collapse -
Samsung 40c5100 internet

OK thanks.
Can you then confirm the only use for the internect connection is to get software upgrades on this model. I assumed it would get Youtube etc.

I have got full access to my PC media via PC Share and WMP which is proving very useful. I can also connect my laptop to HDMI and get full use of internet that way so I'm not too bothered... but it would have been a nice toy.
cheers

- Collapse -
I didn't find this model to have "internet" apps.

It's a basic model that does have some media features but not much else.

- Collapse -
lack of internet

OK Thanks for your help.
It would have been nice for Samsung to make it clear in the manual that this TV has limited internet access. I have spent many hours searching forums and configuring my network to try and get some kind of internet response.
With the USB upgrade facility this TV has no use for internet whatsoever and it is being sold on the back of better models.
Not very clever marketing if they want to sell me another Samsung in the future.
cheers

- Collapse -
What I think

May not matter. Connectivity may be king here. For not much they added ethernet and got some basic media features.

However I'm encountering TERRIBLE sales staff that can do little more than try to push warranties and add ons like cables and credit cards.

I fear the fault here is us. We asked for lower prices and they obliged.
Bob

- Collapse -
Lack of internet (2)

I'm sorry to report NO YouTube or other online internet features available here either.

The on-line check on new firmware seems however to be working, as I wrote.

Concerning HDMI connection to a PC: Yes, works perfectly.

With the PC Share thing, I see no reason using that one since, when attaching your TV set to your router, any compatible NAS or music system (like the Philips MCI500H) that are hooked up to your network works straight out of the box (due to DLNA) and should show up in Shared Media straight away.

PS
Maybe a future firmware upgrade will solve the problem of available internet features,
so start asking Samsung Support Wink

/T.R.D.

- Collapse -
make comments to samsung

Thanks guys for your help.
I have to say I am not too bothered by the internet thing, apart from other manufacturers leading the way. But others may have bought this TV thinking same as me.

It is more the mis -information and lack of website support. On this model they don't even include a PC Share CD in the box and the website support page doesn't even offer it for download.. I had to search forums for a link to ver 4.2. and then found it prohibits network access BY DEFAULT.. I ask you !!

Getting Virgin+ HD box installed today.. lets see what this thing does with true HD ( 1080i at least ).
cheers

CNET Forums

Forum Info