TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung 4065f + Xbox Elite = "Secure HDCP Link Not Found"

by JLockeCU / September 15, 2007 12:42 AM PDT

Hi guys,

I am getting a really frustrating error when I try to play DVDs on an XBox Elite. It goes to a big logo for the XBox and warns me that "Secure HDCP Link Not Found."

I am using the default HDMI Cord (which despite what MS Tech might say, comes with Elites), and it works fine with games and some media.

Also, if I switch to component it works, I just don't especially want to do that.

I have spoke to both sets of help people (Samsung and MS). Samsung assured me that the TV is HDCP compliant and such. Generally I am going with them that the problem lies in the XBox. No one has really heard of this problem, and online the info is sketchy.

One post online said he bought a new HDMI cable and it worked. I am not especially happy to drop $100 on a new HDMI cable, but I will do it if I have to. Do any of you have thoughts?

Regards, Matt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 4065f + Xbox Elite = "Secure HDCP Link Not Found"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 4065f + Xbox Elite = "Secure HDCP Link Not Found"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I doubt it's the cable
by ..ben / September 15, 2007 3:20 AM PDT

If you do buy another cable, don't spend $100 on it! Go to monoprice; it's like $15.

This sounds exactly like a problem that the PS3 had prior to the 1.80 update. HDMI uses a type of DRM (digital rights management) called HDCP; it's supposed to prevent unauthorized transmission/recording of digital (particularly HD) content. Here's how it works:

The Player (in this case your Xbox), has to confirm that the Display (your TV) is HDCP-compliant. The process is called a "handshake". So the Player sends out a message to the TV saying "Hey Display, are you HDCP-compliant?". If the Display returns confirmation in time, then they "shake hands". If the TV doesn't respond quickly enough (the amount of time necessary is determined by the player), the Player will not transmit content properly to the Display; instead it displays a green screen, or blinks on and off every second, etc. I suppose your Xbox is more polite and tells you that the TV is not satisfying its needs.

The reason why component video works fine is because it has no such DRM.

So the puzzle is why does it work with games and not DVDs. I would agree that the Xbox is to blame, for whatever reason improperly negotiating the HDCP "handshake" ONLY for DVDs.

First, I would see if there's a way to turn off any video upconversion being done by the Xbox. It may be automatically disabled when using component video, so there may not be such an option. But upconversion and HDCP seem to go hand-in-hand.

Second, I would try unplugging and reconnecting the HDMI cable right before you attempt to play a DVD, so after you've turned the Xbox on. If possible, try right when you think it's trying to negotiate. If you can get either of these to work, it means that the Xbox is negotiating properly, just not waiting long enough for a response. Once enough people complain about it, it'll be an easy fix for MS to add in a system update.

Third, I would await a system update that will resolve the problem. Whether the Xbox is not waiting long enough for the handshake, or whether it's something more severe, it's very unlikely that the cable is problem. When this was an issue for me, I also tried switching the cable for my PS3. I wasn't surprised when the new cable didn't resolve the problem. But it's your money... if you want to try switching the cable, go ahead.

Feel free to post some links to info you've found so far on the subject. We can certainly try to figure out what's what.

Best,
Ben

Collapse -
secure hdcp not found
by bjornjoseph26 / August 17, 2010 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I doubt it's the cable

OK guys i just experienced this and someone named matt posted a long fix to it.. simply put when your player sends out the hdcp request to your tv if the tv doenst reply in time it gets the not found error... in order to fix this.. turn off xbox or ps3 an turn off tv.. .turn on tv turn on player... request is resent and tada

Collapse -
I have same TV, and the same problem
by Lonely188 / September 17, 2007 1:00 AM PDT

I too bought this TV for my elite and man does this MS-BS piss me off. I really don't get what the issue is. I've tried a **** ton of things...

I've tried 3 other HDCP compliant TVs with my elite... same HDCP error.
I've tried 2 other HDMI cables, no luck.
I've tried unplugging and replugging HDMI cable while the 360 is running... doesn't work.

I bought the 360 for the HDMI port and damit I want to use it! I can play games but thats only half of the purpose of why I bought a 360.

I really hope this gets fixed... irritating as hell, especially now that I have speakers that support optical...

Collapse -
It is a really dumb problem
by JLockeCU / September 17, 2007 1:09 AM PDT

First of all, thanks Ben for your post on this. You had a lot of insight.

I tried plugging and unplugging it to no avail.

To Lonely188 I very much agree, this "Secure HDCP Link not Found" problem is really dumb. Its clearly a problem with the XBox. I talked to Samsung, and its clear they have the latest HDCP info.

I have actually used it with one other TV (an older Samsung) and it worked all summer (same setup otherwise). I am generally frustrated with the problem, but I imagine Microsoft will have to address it.

Anyone come up with a solution? Someone want to write a blog post so we can digg it and demand consumer justice or something like that?

Matt

Collapse -
Keeping you up to date
by Lonely188 / September 17, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

Keep this thread tracked Matt, as I will update here if I should find any solutions in the future.

Brad

Collapse -
Thanks I will do the same
by JLockeCU / September 17, 2007 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Keeping you up to date

Right now on Google "Secure HDCP Link Not Found" leads to confusing results. Hopefully we can get more people on here and then when someone finds a solution, we can get someone to post it. Or at least create a rising awareness of the problem. Its especially frustrating because it seems to be with the Xbox Elites.

Collapse -
Ok found it, but this sucks...
by Lonely188 / September 17, 2007 10:56 PM PDT

I went and made a post on the 360 forum and I got a lot of responses telling me its been a known issue since the 360 came out. Everyone says you need a TV motherboard replacement and that it's not the 360's fault.
That sucks! He gave me a link to a site with the full details that gets updated periodically.

Goto http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847465

I'm not sure what I am doing yet... because I was also told in the 360 forum that Microsoft might fix this issue in there fall firmware update, but no guarantees. Looks like having a technician come out and replace the board on the TV is a guarantee work.

Collapse -
Ok after reading that site some....
by Lonely188 / September 17, 2007 11:58 PM PDT

I called Samsung this morning and told them about the website. The guy spoke fluent English and was really nice. Best tech support I've used in a long time. I told him how the website was talking about a motherboard replacement for my HDCP issue. He told me no... that the issue I am having is not the same as the ones on the site (Apparently Samsung is pretty familiar with all the chat on that website.) He said that the issues on that site are talking about a working HDCP connection with flickering and drop outs... where as my problem is I don't have a HDCP connection at all. He had me recreate the issue (booted up 360 and had the HDCP message pop up and then I described it to him). Then he took down my S/N and then told me I should call a specific number for servicing. He said it sounds like I have a different issue on my hands and a tech needs to look at it.

So then I got to thinking I better look at that site some more and figure out what firmware I am running for Hardware and software (there are 2 different firmware versions, one for HW and one for SW)
Sure enough I looked at my S/N on my TV and I already have one of the latest motherboards that should be working fine. So whew... I shouldn't need a replacement for those issues at least... as long as the tech that is coming out to my place can figure out what the cause is for this other story. Anyways if you want to see if you have the latest firmware and such, use this method here:

To check what firmware version you have
The 8th character in your S/N (pertinent to all 2007 LN-Txx6x models) is a letter P which stands for 2007. The 9th character which follows that letter P will be a number which denotes the months of assembly. For those of you who want to ensure having a 1024/1008 at the very least, that number should be a 6 at the very least (to be sure).

My number was a 6, so check to see what number you have and at least you'll have one thing figured out ahead of time and you can decide what you want to do from there.

Brad

Collapse -
Well
by JLockeCU / September 18, 2007 10:11 AM PDT

I am a P 8, and I know my TV was made last month (which I found amazing) when I went to register it.

I am not worried its the TV, my concern is getting X Box to fix this.

Collapse -
HDCP Problem in general with the TV
by JLockeCU / November 18, 2007 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Well

So I just dealt with this problem mentally and moved on. However, I bought a DVD player the other day (a Phillips) and it says that it says that the TV is non-HDCP complaint as well.

I called Samsung and tier II told me that my problem was both of the devices rather than the TV, but having read more, this is clearly wrong. His logic was that nothing would appear on the screen if it was non-HDCP compliant, but that is not correct, it would send non-HD content according to the Wikipedia article on this.

I am REALLY frustrated with Samsung on this one.

Collapse -
Same problem different TV
by Muzz3110 / January 2, 2008 7:45 PM PST

Doubt this will help but i will say my peice

My TV by the way is an LG LG32LB75

I am also experiencing the same problem, but if i play a dvd which results in the loss of all sound on my xbox, i unplug the HDMI from the TV and replug it in and sound resumes and the message comes up HDCP Link Found, which is rather frustrating to do every time i want to watch a dvd.

So i read the xbox manual and found that you can get audio through some digital audio outlet, or something along those lines, anyway i got it and plugged it all in but it does not fix it at all. I will ring Xbox today to see what they have to say, sounds to me like its an xbox problem.

Collapse -
Xbox error on Samsung 4065F
by JLockeCU / January 4, 2008 6:44 AM PST

Similar problems, but mine is always a problem (rather than only a problem when replugged in).

Collapse -
Xbox 360 Elite
by Crazy Curry / February 28, 2008 7:25 AM PST

Well I was pretty happy to get my Xbox elite and thought that it wud be cool to find out wat hdmi looked like on my hdtv. So i decided to use my HDDVD player to watch a film and then it came up the big xbox logo in the background and a thing comin up about HDCP, so i had to switch bk to ordinary setting and now my HDDVD player dosent work on HDDVDs so i am not pleased with microsoft at all, plus i cant convert 120gb hardrive to another 120gb hardrive, so complete waste of

Collapse -
Solution for me
by JLockeCU / February 28, 2008 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Xbox 360 Elite

Oh, thanks for posting on this, I forgot to mention that I actually did get this problem solved.

It turned out that it was very much the TV. I complained enough with Samsung that they agreed to send a local repair person. That person changed the TV's board. It now works great! No HDCP errors on the Xbox (or my DVD player for that matter).

If you are dealing with the same TV, that may well be your solution.

Collapse -
Xbox 360 hdcp problems
by sparky603 / April 6, 2008 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Solution for me

My xbox gives me a problem when i have the hdmi cables hooked up when playing dvds. it cant be the hdmi cord because it works fine with my ps3 when playing dvd. I think its the xbox 360, what a fine piece of us crap.

Collapse -
Do you mean this problem?
by JLockeCU / April 6, 2008 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Xbox 360 hdcp problems

I.e. that it says HDCP Not Secure?

Collapse -
error msg
by cam1974 / April 12, 2008 8:41 AM PDT

hey im also getting the same error message when trying to watch a dvd on my xbox elite i have a compatible hd tv and was having no problems watching dvds on it for the past few months until tonite......tried to put a dvd on this stupi msg kept flashin.......i dont get it...why all of a sudden am i getting this msg?????!!!!!????? any answers ?????

Collapse -
Are you sure its not the TV?
by JLockeCU / April 12, 2008 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: error msg

In the end for me, it was definitively a problem with the TV that is now fixed.

Have the things you watched prior on it been original copyrighted works? For instance, if you play a copied DVD it would not use HDCP necessarily, or some cheap DVDs. However, put in a different new DVD (or confirm that before you used a different new DVD). If that is the case, then it suddenly not work is really very weird.

Also, try a different device that uses HDCP (anything made recently with an HDMI out), for us, my DVD player also did not work (which made me suddenly repent a lot of anger from my xbox, and put it onto my TV).

Collapse -
It only happens now & then for me.
by PitBite / May 29, 2008 5:02 PM PDT

I have an xbox 360 elite connect to an Optoma projector via HDMI cable. Just a few minutes ago, I turned on my projector, then turned on the 360 to play a standard DVD. I got the white screen with the logo, and the "HDCP" message. I tried to play a downloaded movie trailer - same message. I turned my projector off, then on again. DVDs and video clips now play fine.

I think maybe sometimes my 360 doesn't sink-up well with the projector. A shutdown & restart always does the trick for me.

Collapse -
Handshake
by JLockeCU / May 31, 2008 1:24 AM PDT

That is probably a handshake issue. The two devices just aren't playing nicely when they first send the signal. I read a lot about that possible issue, google around and you might find long term suggestions.

Collapse -
Secure HDCP Link Not Found
by Kana7 / September 26, 2008 1:26 PM PDT

I dont think the problem is within the Xbox consul. I have both an xbox360 and sony bluray machine hooked up to my Panasonic plasma and neither one would play a few of my movies that are copies. What worked for me was unplugging the HDMI cable from the t.v. side, then plugging it back in while playing a regular legal copy of a movie in the xbox, and then trying a legal copy of a bluray movie in my sony bluray. Both worked, and now I'm back in business. So it either has to do with the HDMI cable or the HD t.v. being zapped while trying to play an illegal copy of a dvd. But I'm a little hesitant about trying to play anymore COPIED movies.

Collapse -
fixed the problem
by kris_reinhart / December 12, 2008 2:05 PM PST

Ya i had the same problem to if the movies run on hd only hdmi cords can be used and if its just a standard movie only ur inputs will work if you use standard movie on hdmi cord all you get is the sound and that stupid message after i looked at all your problems i decided to try this hdmi cord to the imputs to matched the movies and it worked thats why microsoft is dumb bbut intresting

Collapse -
hg
by kris_reinhart / December 12, 2008 2:12 PM PST
In reply to: fixed the problem

and also to let you all know it is the tv but also the xbox for not supporting all the fuctions

Collapse -
fixed
by A_Solution / December 2, 2009 6:32 PM PST

I had the exact problem with a brand new tv... after trying time after time i finaly found something that worked... laying the xbox horizontaly, move the hdmi cable to the left if your facing the front of the xbox.. keep it tilted a little that way and it should work.. idk what the deal with this is but its completely ******** for a console to have this problem. it worked for me try it out.

Collapse -
Found a solution
by daddyfestus / October 27, 2010 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: fixed

What I found out was the solution was somehow tricky. Don't know if this will work for you but it did for me. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV and re-plugged it and the message went, "HDCP link restored" and I was able to view images. I think it falls in the category of trial and error as far as the "handshake whatever issue is concerned"

Try unplugging the cable from TV or consul or both and try re-plugging it. If it doesn't work, try turning off the game consul or TV and... Just try anything... There's really no explanation at this time.
Hope this helped.

Collapse -
Possible Fix...
by shift_6 / November 6, 2010 4:57 PM PDT

I had the same problem like everyone else with the "Secure HDCP Link Not Found". Try this possible fix because this worked for me just now. Let the xbox 360 play the movie. Uplug the TV from the outlet and wait for a couple of seconds then plug the TV and turn it on. Or probably the TV just needs to be reset by unplugging it. I'm glad the Secure HDCP restored or found message came up. Let me know if it works. Thanks!

Collapse -
dumb down video output settings
by LanzaAV / October 11, 2011 4:49 AM PDT

All you have to do is dumb down your video output settings from your xbox from 1080p to 1080i. Try that

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.