HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 40 inch lcd 550 hdmi port trouble

by isles81 / September 18, 2008 2:19 AM PDT

I have my cable box connected via HDMI, and my two component inputs are used by an xbox and nintendo Wii. While watching cable (HDMI 1), the picture went out and I got a message that there was no device connected to that input. This clearly wasn't the case. I've since tried all 3 hdmi inputs with different devices, and it always says nothing is connected to that input, and accordingly won't even let me select the input as active. My component inputs work fine. I have a hard time believing that there was some random problem with all 3 hdmi inputs at the exact same time for no reason. Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 40 inch lcd 550 hdmi port trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 40 inch lcd 550 hdmi port trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
further
by isles81 / September 18, 2008 2:19 AM PDT

I also tried a different hdmi cable, it's not the cable.

Collapse -
try this
by Mr__S / September 24, 2008 3:03 PM PDT

sles81,

What is probably happening is that your cable box is sending a signal to the television that it can?t necessarily read. You might want to see if there?s a menu (sometimes hidden, requiring a call to your cable/sat provider) that allows you to accept only 480p signals and higher.

The transmission of 480i over cable, or the switching of a high-definition signal to a non-HD signal may cause the television to momentarily lose the signal and cause your picture to drop out.

Keep us posted!

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
That's not it
by isles81 / September 24, 2008 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: try this

It used to work perfectly for 3 months before this happened. It's not the signal -- the tv doesn't even detect that a cable is plugged in to any of my 3 hdmi inputs. This happened while we were watching tv and had been perfect, set up the same way, for 3 months prior. I've also tried a dvd player, etc. It's something with the ports, not my devices or the cables.

Any thoughts?

Collapse -
That's not it
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 4, 2011 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: That's not it

isles81,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your TV.

If the television isn't detecting any cables plugged in the the HDMI ports, it's likely going to be a service issue. My recommendation would be to call the Samsung customer service center at 800-SAMSUNG the troubleshooting or repairing.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.