General discussion

Samsung 2233rz Refresh Rate Problem!

Hello,

I have a problem regarding the Samsung 2233rz monitor and I think it's a big one. My issue came when I tried connecting my 2233rz to my laptop. I recently bought a DVI-HDMI cable(DVI has Dual Link) and when I started Windows to change the refresh rate, all the resolution where blocked at 60Hz. My laptop has a Nvidia GT 320M video card with a VGA and HDMI slot, so I really don't think that's the problem. When I connected my CRT monitor through my laptop's VGA slot everything was OK, I even managed a 120hz with that old CRT monitor. Currently my 2233rz is connected via a DVI-HDMI cable. I don't think this is possible with such a expensive monitor and I really need a help.

My operating system is Windows 7 64-bit.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung 2233rz Refresh Rate Problem!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung 2233rz Refresh Rate Problem!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Ok, let's see if you get 60Hz.

Most LCDs are locked to 60Hz. There has been some that thought higher was better (maybe to teen age fighter pilots) but more Hz is needed for 3D (240 is that number.)

If it goes 60Hz then it's likely to be doing what it is supposed to do.
Bob

- Collapse -
and in this case, my guess...

is 60+60 for 3D add up to 120Hz. Does the company have anything to say about your issue?

- Collapse -
lol

Guys this is a 300 euro monitor. The specifications on their website clearly says that supports 120hz 2D & 3D via DVI-D cable. I played Counter-Strike on my old desktop PC with 120hz NO PROBLEM. But my laptop's video card doesen't got DVI-D just VGA & HDMI.

- Collapse -
lol?

It appears it is working proper. The "clearly says" as you noted is via DVD-D and the connections you have are not that.
Bob

- Collapse -
hm

Well... is there any solution in connecting the 2233rz to my laptop and having at least 100hz? Some adaptors, cables, etc.? Cuz I haven't seen laptops with DVI-D ports only VGA + HDMI like mine.

- Collapse -
I have to go with no.

Just a few years ago we had a discussion about higher than 60Hz on LCD and why almost all units were nailed to 60Hz. I won't duplicate it but many were transitioning from CRTs and were mourning the loss of 75, 100HZ (and other numbers.)

It's been years and I see no real change in this number being nailed and glued firmly in place.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: settings

Apparently, you can set 60Hz and 120Hz for your VGA and only 60Hz for your HDMI.

Why do you think that is an issue of the monitor? As far as I know, the possibilities for settings in Windows aren't influenced by the physical presence of the monitor or it being turned on or off. Can you check that?
If I'm right, it's a property of the laptop.

Kees

- Collapse -
re

Can u tell me more clearly what do u want me to check out Kees_B? Thank you.

- Collapse -
What I meant.

Turn off the monitor. Then try to do the settings in Windows as you want them. If you can't it can't be an issue of the monitor, but it's an issue of the hardware or the drivers or the settings inside the PC.

Kees

- Collapse -
re

And how I'm supossed to do my settings with the monitor turned off?

- Collapse -
Use that CRT monitor again ...

to do the HDMI-settings? Or doesn't it work that way?

Kees

- Collapse -
re

Yes. How can I do that?

- Collapse -
re

Help?

- Collapse -
Let's be clear and honest.

It appears you want a feature or spec that is not in this product. Your post wrote "The specifications on their website clearly says that supports 120hz 2D & 3D via DVI-D cable. I played Counter-Strike on my old desktop PC with 120hz NO PROBLEM. But my laptop's video card doesen't got DVI-D just VGA & HDMI."

This means that you won't be getting anything beyond 60Hz according to the product's specs.
Bob

- Collapse -
re

I need to try Kees_B's solution...

- Collapse -
re

So... Kees_B, how can I edit HDMI-settings?

- Collapse -
Re: hdmi settings

Sorry, but I don't know. I don't have your laptop.

My Dell netbook does have a HDMI output, but I never used it. So I can't do it even on my own machine.

Kees

- Collapse -
re

Hey guys,

Previously when I tryed to play some games (ex. Counter-Strike 1.6) with my LCD 2233rz monitor I only had the option for 60HZ and the game appeared in window mode.

Currently I've found a setting called "Duplicate desktop" where both my CRT and LCD works at the same time. When I opened the tab "Advanced settings" I saw that I could set the "Refresh rate" to 100HZ. My question is that it really forces for both of my monitors 100HZ or just to my CRT and the LCD works like usual in 60HZ?

P.S.: When I use "Duplicate desktop" and set it to 100HZ if I open the game again (Counter-Strike 1.6) it doesen't load anymore in window mode. It loads in full screen 4:3.

Regards,
sTz

- Collapse -
Sadly

You seem to be searching for something this new LCD doesn't offer. Your attempts appear to be met with odd failures.
Bob

- Collapse -
re

Bob believe me that this new LCD does offer 120HZ, just look on Samsung's website. Anyone can answer to my above question? Please stay away if u can't. Thank you.

- Collapse -
It does offer 120Hz on only certain inputs.

I suggest you ask Samsung on the Cnet Samsung Forum if there is any firmware or other solution to get you want you want.

--> You can remain frustrated if you ignore those specs. I've read them and as it stands it will never do 120Hz on the input you are using.
Bob

- Collapse -
re

Bob please read my last post with "Duplicate desktop". I'm not frustrated but I need your guys opinion on my question above.

P.S.: I did a new thread on CNet Samsung Forum but a operator there told me to move my post here. Thank you.

- Collapse -
I read it and

While interesting to me it points to a bug or omission in a video driver and not hope you can get this to work.

It's possible the Samsung folk took your issue to be a driver issue. Since they don't support the PC or video card drivers they would have you move the discussion.

Now that we've been through it all your only hope is if Samsung offers a firmware or mod to add the feature you want.
Bob

- Collapse -
re

Thank you Bob for your opinion, I really appreciate it. Anyoane else has an ideea on this regarding my question stated above?

- Collapse -
hey
- Collapse -
re

Hello ozgoznur,

I've tryed all the steps in the past from that www.sevenforums.com but with no result. Regarding the VGA to DVI cable is not possible, cuz the monitor is transmitting DVI-D (digital) signal and VGA is only analog signal.

Regards,
sTz

CNET Forums

Forum Info