Desktops forum

General discussion

Samsung 174v lcd Monitor Shuts Off

by Murph44 / March 22, 2007 2:28 AM PDT

I have a Samsung 174v lcd monitor, for some reason it just shuts off. I can manually turn the monitor off then back on again and it will work for a few seconds then it turns off again. Sometimes like now it will stay on then for no reason it shuts off again. Any ideas on what is causing this?

windows xp pro.

Thanks......

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 174v lcd Monitor Shuts Off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 174v lcd Monitor Shuts Off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Age, heat, bad solder connections.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 2:32 AM PDT

There's a long discussion in one of the forums about some HP model. Turns out a bad solder connection was it's issue in many cases.

Are you the type that owns a solder iron and knows how to use it?

Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by Murph44 / March 22, 2007 2:45 AM PDT

Yes I have one and can use it if I know exactly where the problem is. Are the HPs made by Samsung?

Collapse -
Some were.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

But the issue was easy to spot once you have the boards out and inspecting them. I take it you can't look it over?

Bob

Collapse -
OK
by Murph44 / March 22, 2007 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Some were.

On my laptop now the monitor won't come on at all except for a few seconds.

So, do I need to just take this monitor apart and the problem you say will be easy to spot? Then just solder the bad connections?

Thanks for the help......

Collapse -
"I have a Samsung 174v lcd monitor,"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: OK

"So, do I need to just take this monitor apart and the problem you say will be easy to spot? Then just solder the bad connections?"

What choice is there and if it's a bad solder joint then all that's left is how good an inspector you are and whether you find it. Some won't dive in because they are afraid to break it. Let me write this. It's broken so we can proceed without fear. And repair at a shop exceeds replacement cost so what is there to fear but ____ itself?

Bob

Collapse -
It's apart
by Murph44 / March 23, 2007 12:32 AM PDT

And I don't see anything that looks unusual, do you know which board it would be on, looks like there are 2 one for the power and the other for I would assume the monitor screen.

Collapse -
The ones we found were...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2007 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: It's apart

Through hold components like capacitors and ferrite beads or coils. What I do is reflow the solder on the bigger through hole parts. Keep a keen eye for scorch marks, blown parts, etc. That is "the usual" defects.

There is no "do this" in such expeditions or repairs. If it was then repairs would be cheap.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry for the type "through hole"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2007 12:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
No luck
by Murph44 / March 23, 2007 2:09 AM PDT

I'm not a electronics techie but I tried, couldn't find anything wrong even when using a magnifying glass. i put it back togethr and it does the same thing. Looks like i'm going to have to buy me another monitor which really ticks me off since this one is only about 3 years old. Samsung is no longer an option and i'm going to go with a 19" this time. I just use it for surfing no game playing etc. here, any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help......

Collapse -
Then the freeze spray?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2007 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: No luck

If reflowing parts doesn't work I pull out some freeze spray and see if freezing a part makes it work. Then I replace that part.

I'll take it that you reflowed solder where ever you felt like it? Some techs won't do that unless they 'know' it's bad. I've cured a few just by going ahead with the reflow. Again if there was a 'reflow here' sign or procedure then repairs would be easy and cheap but reality is something else.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?