Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Salman Rushdie on free speech

by Dan McC / February 23, 2005 1:35 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Salman Rushdie on free speech
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Salman Rushdie on free speech
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
''Free speech.'' What anti-American nonsense.
by Josh K / February 23, 2005 11:30 PM PST
Devil
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm framing it.
by Jerry562 / February 23, 2005 11:45 PM PST
Collapse -
I have to take a WAG, Dan ...
by MarciaB / February 23, 2005 11:50 PM PST

... that you are trying to say something about SpeakEasy by using Mr. Rushdie's words.

Speak up! Make your own voice heard!

and let's toss in the idea that if this is what you believe and agree with (you didn't comment yea or nay, so I'm ASSuming), then you must feel somewhat obligated to become more tolerant of what others say here that "gets up your nose."

I happen to think that the basics of what was said (in particular the part you pasted in your post) is correct. It's not a big stretch to state that us human beans don't usually take exception with and argue about what we agree with.

Collapse -
My own WAG...
by Josh K / February 24, 2005 12:38 AM PST

...is that the post was directed at those members who call other members "anti-American" because of their membership in a particular political party or for expressing opinions that the finger-pointers don't share.

Collapse -
Your WAG may very well be less *wild*
by MarciaB / February 24, 2005 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: My own WAG...

than my own - however, I truly believe that you have narrowed it down much more than the basic message could truthfully be applied.

I will wait and see what Dan has to say about his meaning. Was it just informational? or was it directed more specifically?

I know I have pointed a finger a time or two. Can't think of any who have posted more than a handful of times here that has not done so on occasion.

Collapse -
I try to be tolerant
by Dan McC / February 24, 2005 2:31 AM PST

and, for the most part, I am. But that should not stop me from arguing. Disagreement does not indicate intolerance.

Dan

Collapse -
Very true comments, Dan
by MarciaB / February 24, 2005 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: I try to be tolerant

in fact, I have always been a firm believer in the importance of learning to disagree "fairly" being just as important as other conversation / social skills.

You really don't get to know someone until you have had a disagreement with him/her. Whether you still like each other afterward is a whole 'nother story Wink

Collapse -
Who disputes this?
by EdH / February 24, 2005 12:55 AM PST

Other than the Political Correctness fanatics that is.

Collapse -
Its the old...
by dirtyrich / February 24, 2005 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Who disputes this?

proclaim common sense trick to allude to your opponents lacking it.

I often disagree with Group A. They usually disagree with me. So if I claim to believe in something, by default, they are against it.

You can usually recognize this tactic by the lack of focus of the message (no clear targets or audience), and how accepted the message is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?