General discussion

Salman Rushdie on free speech

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Salman Rushdie on free speech
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Salman Rushdie on free speech
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
''Free speech.'' What anti-American nonsense.
Devil
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm framing it.
- Collapse -
I have to take a WAG, Dan ...

... that you are trying to say something about SpeakEasy by using Mr. Rushdie's words.

Speak up! Make your own voice heard!

and let's toss in the idea that if this is what you believe and agree with (you didn't comment yea or nay, so I'm ASSuming), then you must feel somewhat obligated to become more tolerant of what others say here that "gets up your nose."

I happen to think that the basics of what was said (in particular the part you pasted in your post) is correct. It's not a big stretch to state that us human beans don't usually take exception with and argue about what we agree with.

- Collapse -
My own WAG...

...is that the post was directed at those members who call other members "anti-American" because of their membership in a particular political party or for expressing opinions that the finger-pointers don't share.

- Collapse -
Your WAG may very well be less *wild*

than my own - however, I truly believe that you have narrowed it down much more than the basic message could truthfully be applied.

I will wait and see what Dan has to say about his meaning. Was it just informational? or was it directed more specifically?

I know I have pointed a finger a time or two. Can't think of any who have posted more than a handful of times here that has not done so on occasion.

- Collapse -
I try to be tolerant

and, for the most part, I am. But that should not stop me from arguing. Disagreement does not indicate intolerance.

Dan

- Collapse -
Very true comments, Dan

in fact, I have always been a firm believer in the importance of learning to disagree "fairly" being just as important as other conversation / social skills.

You really don't get to know someone until you have had a disagreement with him/her. Whether you still like each other afterward is a whole 'nother story Wink

- Collapse -
Who disputes this?

Other than the Political Correctness fanatics that is.

- Collapse -
Its the old...

proclaim common sense trick to allude to your opponents lacking it.

I often disagree with Group A. They usually disagree with me. So if I claim to believe in something, by default, they are against it.

You can usually recognize this tactic by the lack of focus of the message (no clear targets or audience), and how accepted the message is.

CNET Forums

Forum Info