Computer Help forum

General discussion

Safety scanner & backup not working

by Mary T-205113508737904897 / October 22, 2007 4:22 AM PDT

Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner has stopped working on my computer, it seems to be stuck in a loop. I click to install, then click to launch, it then goes back to install and continues in a loop. Looking on various forums it seems to be a widespread problem.

Also, when I attempt to do a complete backup of my computer onto DVDs. It copies onto the first DVD, then when I insert the 2nd DVD, instead of copying fresh data it copies exactly the same as what is on the first DVD. It also seems to be stuck in a loop.
Could both problems be related?

I asked in P.C.World for advice and was told that Microsoft are trying to sort out a serious problem that occurred when they recently sent out some updates.

Please does anyone know when these problems will be sorted out?

My OS is Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Would welcome any advice

Mary T

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safety scanner & backup not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safety scanner & backup not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LOL...Microsoft fixing something.
by BrianZachary / October 22, 2007 8:43 AM PDT

I have read in more than a few forums that many people, including myself, have had a few problems because of the last updates they sent out. Like with anything to do with Microsoft, you'll just have to wait like the rest of us to see when their fix happens. It will most likely be sent out as another update to correct the last update, so you shouldn't miss it.

Now I wanted to ask you, what exactly are you trying to backup onto DVDs? I don't know about Vista, but with Windows XP it requires only one DVD to backup the whole thing. I know Vista has more stuff in it than XP does, but I can't see it needing a second DVD. My friend and my mom both bought Vista laptops that came with their own upgrade DVD, but there is only one DVD. Is there that much more stuff in Vista Ultimate than in Vista Basic? Maybe because you have 64 bit?

My point is that if only one DVD is needed for backup, then when you insert a second disc, it's only making a second copy. I don't know. Like I said, I don't know much about Vista myself. I'm just throwing ideas out here.

Collapse -
Backup usually takes 5 DVDs
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / October 22, 2007 9:26 AM PDT

Thank for the reply BrianZachary.

The last time I did a complete backup it all went on 5 DVDs. This time when I started the complete back up it said it would take about eleven discs. I was told to label the first disc with the date and call it disc 1. After it finished with the disk I was told to insert another disk and call it disk 1. It went on like this until I had used a large amount of disks up.

Perhaps a bit dense of me, but I thought that perhaps there was a glitch with the labeling system. It was then I checked and found that all the discs had exactly the same data on. Absolutely identical.

Perhaps Microsoft will sort things out soon.

Mary T

Collapse -
There's no need.
by BrianZachary / October 22, 2007 2:47 PM PDT

So, if I am understanding correctly, you already have 5 DVDs that have backups on them from before. There's no need to backup your entire computer onto DVDs. The only things on your computer you need to save now is any files on your computer you want saved (photos, documents, videos, music, etc.). You already backed up your computer once already.

The only time you ever need to do a backup of your system is when you first get it home and it asks you if you want to make a backup DVD, which you should do. This is done in case something ever happens and you need to restore, repair or reinstall Windows. Even if you have a recovery partition, it's always best to backup onto a DVD. Once you have that, you are set.

Now if you have any blank DVDs left, you can use them for your own files I mentioned earlier, if you feel the need to. Everything you can always put back onto the computer.

If, for some reason, I ever have to reinstall Windows or something that might be a risk to losing any of my files, the only things I need to save are my Downloads folder, my Favorites folder, my Desktop folder and a folder called My Stuff that contains all my music, photos, personal stuff, etc. With all these saved, I know what programs I had installed, I keep all my favorites and how I had my desktop and I can easily set up my computer back to the way I like it. Any other settings I had Windows set to I can just redo everything, which isn't too big a hassle and it will be like a fresh new computer.

I'm not saying you should do this to solve your problems because that's a little drastic for the "minor" problems you described. I just wanted to give an example of what the backup is really used for and why it doesn't necessarily need to be done more than once per computer, unless you lose the DVD you put the backup on the first time.

Sorry I can't help with the Live One Care problem, but I don't use that. That might be something they are trying to fix in a update soon and you might have to wait until they send that out. You could try to locate those last updates and remove them. I've read about people doing that, But I don't know anything about doing it and I wouldn't want to risk removing the wrong thing so I leave that alone.

Hope this clears up something for you.

Collapse -
Discs damaged
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / October 22, 2007 6:16 PM PDT
In reply to: There's no need.

Thank for the reply.

Some of the discs from my original backup suffered accidental damage. Whereas Insurance covered my other damaged/destroyed possessions. This was no help with the data lost on discs. Hence the reason for my attempting the complete back up.

Mary T

Collapse -
I see.
by BrianZachary / October 23, 2007 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Discs damaged

That's too bad those were damaged. It's ironic because you could have used those to possibly fix the problems you're having now.

I was wondering, how are you trying to burn the backup discs? If you are using Windows to do it, there are programs you can use that will backup too. Do you have any burning programs installed? If you do, open it up and look for the backup option.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Collapse -
Do You Have Recovery Discs?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

Most computer manufacturer's give you the option to create your own "Recovery Discs" from a Recovery Partition. If there is not such an option, you should be able to purchase them cheaply from the manufacturer..

Since this is available to most computer users, it's really not necessary to backup the "Entire computer" on to DVD's. Those Recovery Discs will reinstall the operating system, programs, and drivers that were originally installed at the factory. The Microsoft Backup program generally isn't required.. Instead, simply burn a copy of the important files that you've placed on the machine.. Personal Documents, music, pictures, and other such things don't take up nearly as much space and can be burned to one or two DVDs or CDs using your burning program.

There are other options to using the full Backup option.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Backup
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / October 23, 2007 10:32 PM PDT

Thanks for the advice folks.
What does work O.K. is the Vista Ultimate automatic file & folder backup that is scheduled for every Sunday evening. Why this works and yet the complete backup does not work is a mystery to me.
I bought this computer new with Vista Ultimate installed, the first thing I did was to copy the drivers onto DVD and these discs did not get damaged with the others.
Would these drivers and my backup of files & folders be enough to get my computer up and running without losing anything if my computer should go wrong?

I do have NTI CD&DVD Maker installed with a facility to back up. However, when I click on this I get the message "Unable to locate drive backup"
Finally, Would the complete backup work if I bought an external hard drive and backed up to this?
Sorry there is a lot here, I am indebted to you folks for your advice and your patience.
Mary T

Collapse -
Still Not Clear What Discs You Have...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2007 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Backup

You mention that you bought the computer with Vista on it.. Is it a brand name machine and if so, did you get Recovery Discs with it or did you create them manually? Most brand name machines have the option to create Recovery Discs manually. If you don't have those, you will need to get them.

In order to get your computer up and running if something goes wrong, (such as hard drive failure) you will need.

1. A disc that can reinstall the operating system, all programs, and the drivers.. That disc can be a full Recovery disc as mentioned above or a Vista installation disc along with the programs installers and driver discs. (It can also be something like a mirror image of the entire drive such as Acronis, etc. but it appears like you don't have that.)

2. Copies of all your personal files to place back in your music, video, and documents folders..

Please let us know what you have.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Have recovery disc.
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / October 24, 2007 4:42 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply Grif.

I bought the computer as new and there is a Vista Ultimate 64 bit recovery disc with it.

I followed the manufacturer's advice and copied the drivers.
Once a week I copy all my files & folders to DVDs

My problems started after receiving updates from Microsoft. I am hoping Microsoft will sort things out with future updates.

I am thinking of purchasing an external hard drive and seeing if complete backup will work with that. The backup could take up to 66 GB of disk space.

I worry that if I reinstall Vista, as soon as I receive Microsoft updates the same problems will occur. I suppose I should be patient for a few weeks and see if the problem sorts its self out.

Thanks

Mary T

Collapse -
Sounds Like You're Set....If The Recovery Disc Also...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 25, 2007 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Have recovery disc.

...contains the preinstalled programs from the factory.. Most Recovery discs include the operating system plus all the drivers and programs as they came from the factory.. You should check your "Vista Ultimate 64 bit recovery disc" to confirm that it has those things. If that's the case, then there's no need to save 66 GB of data UNLESS you have that many personal documents, music, and pictures stored on the computer.

That said, remember one thing about external hard drives.. What would happen if the external drive died? Be prepared for such a situation.. It happens often.. I keep backup copies of my important data on DVD's in my safe-deposit box..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks

Many thanks for the the help, it is much appreciated.
Mary T

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.