Computer Help forum

General discussion

Safely Remove Hardware

by barrielarke / October 31, 2009 10:55 PM PDT

This feature is needed when removing devices from either my built in card reader or front USB sockets. When I do so I find that neither the icon is on the tool bar nor are the USB drives in Explore. The only way I can retrieve them is by doing a restart. So at the moment I can only use a device once before needing a restart
Any suggestion why this is, and is there a cure for it?

I am running 32 bit Windows Vista Service pack2

Thanks Barrie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safely Remove Hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safely Remove Hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: safely remove hardware
by nerd4real / November 2, 2009 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: Safely Remove Hardware

I had the same problem with my card reader. While this isn't an actual cure, a program called (appropriately enough) USB Safely Remove makes swapping cards and thumbdrives easier and faster.
You can download the shareware version here at cnet or at PC World if you want to test it.

n4r

Collapse -
Safely Remove Hardware
by barrielarke / November 2, 2009 5:48 PM PST

Many thanks n4r for that useful tip. I will look into that.

Do you think it is to do with Windows updates?

Cheers, Barrie

Collapse -
re: safely remove hardware
by nerd4real / November 3, 2009 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Safely Remove Hardware

I wouldn't think it would be due to updates, but anything's possible. USB has some quirky "rules" depending on how it's wired, and there's plenty of variation between cases, headers and card readers. This article gets deeper into it than I would, but it's pretty interesting:

http://icrontic.com/articles/rewire_usb_ports

Anyways, thanks for replying and happy trails to ya.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!