Desktops forum

Question

Safely grounding a computer for work, need advice.

by MapCavalier / November 1, 2012 12:04 PM PDT

This weekend I plan to open up my computer, simply to clean and look at some parts that I may be changing soon. I have never done so before, and I know that static electricity is a real concern.
I do not have an anti static wristband, so I plan to ground my computer and myself instead. I would plug the computer into an empty surge protector (plugged into the wall but turned off) and hold onto the frame. I'd like to be sure this is safe.
Can I proceed like this, or will I potentially damage the electronics?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safely grounding a computer for work, need advice.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safely grounding a computer for work, need advice.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
ESD setup
by Willy / November 2, 2012 12:32 AM PDT

When I service many a PC, I use a basic "ESD wrist strap" and even these are "disposable types" or quick use sorta thing. It's very basic, just a strap around the wrist. However, long before any of this became the "norm", you open case and touch the PSU or any bare metal to discharge yourself. While the PC is AC plugged in or PSU sw. is OFF, not only the PC -off sw. Of course, it helps if you wear "ESD less prone clothing" as well or immediate area. the working area can be your kitchen table, NOT on the carpet directly, maybe some cardboard on carpet. I hope you get the idea. If you notice ESD discharges before you even try working, use the ESD wrist strap, these aren't that expensive.

If you secure a grounding wire to the PC case, be sure its routed to something that is also grounded.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
By "OFF" do you mean the power button on the
by VAPCMD / November 3, 2012 2:32 AM PDT

front of the PC ? Or by a rocker switch on the PSU ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.