Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Safely deleting Registry data

I have FixIt Utilities. One of the things it can do is "clean the registry" by removing unnecessary items. Among these are Desktop Schemes (I don't use any), Unused International Keyboard Settings (there are about a hundred, and I only read English), and Unused Time Zones (Do I really need "Ekteruberg Standard Time?"

It seems that eliminating this stuff would slim down the Registry quite a bit. Good idea or no? Will this speed bootup?

Current bootup time 2 min 15 sec.

Gateway, 3 GHz, 2 GB RAM.

Thanks,

Vince

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safely deleting Registry data
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safely deleting Registry data
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My Opinion.. Be VERY Careful

In reply to: Safely deleting Registry data

On newer Windows XP and Vista computers, registry cleaners do very little, if anything, to improve the performance or startup time of the computer.. And to clean out the minor registry items you've described will do almost nothing. The unused registry entries.

As we've discussed before about the need to reduce bootup time, it's more important to eliminate unnecessary startup programs and services.. Those registry cleaners can do more harm than good. I generally leave it alone..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Be Very Careful

In reply to: My Opinion.. Be VERY Careful

Grif,

As usual, your advice is to the point and helpful.

Do any of the "Registry Cleaners" actually do anything? If so, are the results worthwhile? I have tried several, including Norton Utilities, Registry Mechanic, Fi-It, etc. The funny thing is that if Fix-It cleans up 150 errors, and then I run Norton, I get another big bunch of errors. Is this all BS?

By the way, Grif, you probably have figured out by now that I played with matchcs when I was a kid.

Thanks for your advice yet again.

Vince

Collapse -
'Do any of the "Registry Cleaners" actually do anything?'

In reply to: Be Very Careful

Yes, they remove registry entries.. As to whether they do anything worthwhile, that depends on what you're using them for.. Generally, the only time I think a reg cleaner is worth having is when there is malware that needs to be removed.. In such cases, you must know EXACTLY what you're removing and using a cleaner to find an errant entry may be worthwhile.. (Personally, I do such registry removals manually, one entry at a time but each to his own.) My main concern for such cleaners is they remove things automatically and for the normal "newbie", they have little knowledge as to what's actually being removed from the registry.(Your example of 150 errors is a clear example of my point... Did you check to verify that all 150 items were being cleaned off? And after restarting the computer did you try running the same registry cleaner to see if they were all removed? Please note that some of those entries will automatically be reinstated after a restart so removing them does little.)

As a result, we frequently see posts here about: "I just used a registry cleaner and now I can't do....". On occasion, if the damage is bad enough, a reinstall is necessary. So it becomes a personal choice as to whether a "routine" use of registry cleaners performs any great service. After the registry is cleaned, can YOU tell a difference? I have used registry cleaners on occasion, but it's for a specific reason and I check each one of the entries that are going to be removed.. It's your choice as to where to proceed from here. How much risk are you willing to take.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You're confused . . .

In reply to: Safely deleting Registry data

These programs/utilities are NOT located in the registry. The registry stores information on how to handle programs/utilities only. Uninstalling these utilities/programs will remove them from your PC, and in that action, the registry entries will be removed. Mostly. After the programs are uninstalled, then run your registry cleaner. But don't expect to be impressed.

Will it speed up boot time? Only if these programs/utilities load at boot up. If they don't, then boot time will not be increased. And, in fact, these programs you describe do not load at boot up. They only open when you invoke them. All they do is take up space on the hard drive.

Wayne (IBM freak - 7)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.