HolidayBuyer's Guide

Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

safe to buy the 360's on ebay?

by mr. tambourine man / November 22, 2005 2:12 PM PST

I was looking for an xbox 360 so my parents could get it to my brother, but, like I warned them, all of them are sold out until february. now as I tirelessly try to make my brother's christmas that much merrier, I find ebay. ebay has xbox 360 consoles flying out of its ***. not only that, but most of them have starting bids of 100 and 200 dollars. I know these people want to make the best out of the holiday crunch and make 100 or 200$ more, but if it ends up at just 300 or 400 for the platinum, will they still sell? and if it does pull through aftger tough negotiatiojn and bidding, will I pay for a 400$ xbox 360 box? success stories would be great, failure stories in good detail would be just as well. sorry this is so long.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: safe to buy the 360's on ebay?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: safe to buy the 360's on ebay?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
g
by donutdarko / November 22, 2005 2:55 PM PST

I doubt anyone will sell it for anything less than two hundred dollar profit.
Some ebay auctions are selling pre-sales or 'promises' to ship when they get it so beware.
Best bet is to get it at the 'normal' price would be to wait.
No one needs video games that badly.
People who are paying thousands of dollars for it need to get their priorities straight.

Collapse -
Hmm...assume with these prices it includes
by John Robie / November 24, 2005 4:02 AM PST
Collapse -
You won't get a 360 for $200
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 26, 2005 7:32 PM PST

The point is no one will sell a 360 for $200 or below. They will sell if for $500, $600, or even more. Some vendors are even selling it more that double the 360 premium price($400). Saw an online site selling it for $850. Look at the feedback of the guy you are about to buy a 360 from on ebay. If it is below 98%, I wouldn't trust the guy.

Collapse -
ebay is risky
by GodSun777 / November 27, 2005 9:36 PM PST

Even if the seller got a good score it still risky for me . You need to pay for insurance because the package may be damaged in the shipping and this happend a lot .
And most wont pay the insurance .

When you buy something on ebay , you take a risk .

Collapse -
toy's r us
by bullet_smith92 / November 29, 2005 8:59 AM PST

my friend went to toy's r us on the opening day of the xbox 360 and there was no line. he said they had full stock. i hate toy's r us, but if you can get an xbox 360 opening day the thats a good deal.
oh yeah, if you were wondering he did NOT pre-order his, he just went right into toy's r us and walked out with an xbox 360.

Collapse -
Be Aware Of EBAY
by artrose51 / December 3, 2005 1:13 PM PST

If you don't want to get SCREWED!!!!!
These people were getting up to $1,700 for an XBOX 360 on Ebay.
EBAY is very risky on items people are in great demand for, if you check a persons feedback and they have more than a couple of negatives stay away from them, a freind of mine was riped off buy a seller that seemed to be a sucure seller but found out he sold a number of the same item and riped off around 25 people because they never received there item and this seller had a very good rating until the last minute and then went sour.
If you really trust a person pay him with a credit card through PayPal only and if you don't receive your item then you can tell the credit card company that you were scamed and they will chargeback your funds to PayPal and you will not get screwed. Also if the seller only takes checks or money orders and not credit cards then past them by. I'm an Ebay buyer and seller and from my experiance if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Also I see someone said that ToysRus had plenty of XBOX 360 which I'm not sure who they know but they were the first of all stores to be sold out.

Well I hope this helped,
ART

Collapse -
It should be fine, but expect to pay MUCH MORE than $400
by ackmondual / December 9, 2005 5:26 AM PST

Core bundle $300
'better bundle' $400

Peak Demand Pricing, supply and demand, forgot what the term is, but being that the demand is higher than the supply and that 360's have been selling for $1000+ pretty well, I wouldn't expect the seller to sell at loss, even break, or some profit when he could get at least $200 to $400 extra given the market situation.

The most I've spent on Ebay was for a $300 PDA. That and all others except one came in a timely manner and appeared to be in good condition as described.

One of my purchases however I returned b/c the buttons on the PDA were not as tactile as the ones on a same model I tried in a retail store. The unit was claimed to be in near brand new condition. I didn't want a long, drawn out argument since I was going out of state, so he ended up agreeing to refund my $$ when he got it returned and would pay half the shipping.

All purchasers had at least 30 transactions.. all positive.

Collapse -
Whoops, forgot the rest of my post
by ackmondual / December 9, 2005 5:34 AM PST

Prematurely posted...

Also, when bidding, keep in mind that some sellers may have extra accounts or friends set up to drive up auction prices. May also help jack up positive feedbacks. If you ever think an auction price was driven up illegitemately, contact Ebasy about this. They have tools to check to see if this is really true

I've never spend over $300 on ebay. If it were me, I personally would have reservations on spending $600 on ebay.

I agree with what others here have posted on buying on ebay. Use only credit card or secure payments and be mindful of feedback. Be aware that ppl with perfect feedback, and lots of them can be deadly.

One guy shared his story of how he sold a custom prebuilt system to a buyer. The buyer made a complaint that the system didn't work correctly. It was figured out through diagnosis the vid card was amiss. Seller agreed to take back the PC and replace the vid card. However, upon looking at the vid card, he noticed the core/serial numbers were NOT of the one he sent with the system originally. After some debate, the buyer agreed to just get his $$ and 'other' vid card back. It turns out the buyer swapped the good vid card for a broken vid card of the same model so he could get an extra one for free from the seller.

Seller reported this along with pictures he took to ebay authorities and days later, the buyer's account was suspended.

Collapse -
Do your research and use common sense
by speleofool / December 13, 2005 3:43 AM PST

I admit it--I'm an eBay convert. I've paid > $1500 for a single item in the past, and I've sold plenty of stuff. So far, everything has been above board and all of my transactions (80+) have gone well.

There are plenty of horror stories out there, but there are FAR MORE success stories (or eBay wouldn't be around anymore). My #1 suggestion for new eBay buyers is to contact sellers with questions--anything you might want to know that isn't already spelled out in the auction. That will give you a feel for how responsive and easy to work with the seller is. It will also give you an email trail in case something goes wrong down the road.

Also, be aware of the various protection programs that are in place. Do your research. PayPal offers a "Buyer Protection" program, and eBay offers it's own limited protection. Your credit card may offer protection against fraudulent charges, and if you don't get what you paid for you may be able to fight the charge (but check with your CC company ahead of time to be sure). Just remember that there are plenty of honest eBayers out there, so try to resolve any issues by communication first.

The simple fact is that the XBox 360 is hard to find and plenty of people want it--low supply + high demand = higher prices, so don't count on getting a bargain on eBay these days. However, if you must have it now, and if you're willing to pay the premium, eBay is probably a pretty good option.

One last consideration: I don't know what the warranty policies are like on the 360, but I'd be concerned about what happens if a 360 I purchase on eBay turns out to be a lemon. I may not be able to return it to the seller, and I don't know what Microsoft requires in order to ship it directly to them for an exchange. I have seen some auctions that include a receipt, but make sure you'll be able to use that receipt if you must (i.e., that it wasn't purchased on someone else's credit card or at a store that doesn't exist in your area).

Happy shopping!
Speleo.

Collapse -
XBox 360 etc.
by keidee / January 1, 2006 1:21 AM PST

This is a very late response to the forum, but I missed the subject earlier.
I am a buyer and seller on EBay and have had mostly good results for both...but...I purchased a food processor and although it was advertised as having a warranty, when I had a problem, the manufacturers said it was a Third Party purchase so they could only deal with the SELLER.
Needless to say the seller did not ever reply to any emails.EBay were powerless to intervene.
I would think that there could be a similar problem with an XBox 360, so I personally would now be very wary about purchasing any item on EBay where a warranty would be a consideration.
Best advice is what others have said, wait, be patient and be secure.

Collapse -
RE:
by saurabhs / March 22, 2006 10:38 AM PST

check the users feedback
u can't get 1 4 less than 400

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.