Linux forum

Question

Safe place to D/L LM17 or any Linux/Ubuntu O.S.

by 69Rixter / November 7, 2014 1:57 AM PST

I mistakenly(I guess) D/L LM17 from LinuxMint homepage. Same as when I D/L Ub12.04.(from the 'source"). There are those who feel I've gotten a "corrupted" O.S. (each time?) Where can I obtain a clean, safe, uncorrupted Linux or Ubuntu O.S? Or, should there be something I need to do when D/L the O.S. to insure I don't get it corrupted. IF I may, for over 2 yrs , I've had difficulties w/ U12.04(first), now LM17. Some have suggested a corrupted O.S. MAY be the cause??? OK, if so, how did I manage to get a "corrupted" O.S. each time? I'd like to avoid that, now, and get an O.S. that is working properly out-of-the-box? Please direct me to a safe D/L site (if possible). [HP2000-210~~LM17 64bit]
THANK YOU:
Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safe place to D/L LM17 or any Linux/Ubuntu O.S.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safe place to D/L LM17 or any Linux/Ubuntu O.S.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
REPLY TO EVERYONE:
by 69Rixter / December 12, 2014 12:37 AM PST

Greetings:

This thread has been sanctioned and I can no longer address anyone individually. I'd like to add I'm going to try
#1. Using another comp to D/l-install O.S to pendrive. Then use pendrive as main Hdd to see if the Hdd in laptop is the 'culprit". (I'll remove the laptop's Hdd). Should the O.S. on the pendrive prove legitimate, then I'll know the Hdd has problems. I want to thank all who helped out. Especially itsdigger and James Denison. You both have provided a great deal of help/info, and for that I'm grateful. #2. Open up laptop and check all data connections/strips, look for abnormalities and make sure everything 'under the hood" is looking good!!! When/if I discover the malfunction, I'll report back. THANKS to all!!
Rick

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Here's a link.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 7, 2014 2:06 AM PST
Collapse -
REPLY TO gwrach923
by 69Rixter / November 11, 2014 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Here's a link.

Morning:

To the best of my knowlege/ability...YES. I'm not "burning" to a DVD, but rather D/L then installing to pendrive. I've done this using Unetbootin, then LM17's USB Image Writer. Now, I'm getting disc directly from Ubuntu/Linux and will, once again, "install" from it. Hopefully, this will be the correct and last install I'll need to do! However, any insights you'd care to pass along?
THANX:
RICK

Collapse -
I asked because..
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 11, 2014 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: REPLY TO gwrach923

a lot of people fall flat with ISO files and just burn the file to disc/usb. You seem to have done it right so good luck with the disc.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
Here's where I've been downloading Linux
by wpgwpg / November 7, 2014 2:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
do you ever check the ISO md5sum?
by James Denison / November 9, 2014 2:50 AM PST

Or once you burn to DVD and then boot to it, choose "check integrity" and it will tell you if something's wrong with the burn to the disc.

info md5sum

that command in terminal will tell you information on how to use md5sum command.

Here's an example on my Mint system

mint16@mint16 ~/Documents $ ls *.iso
linuxmint-17-cinnamon-32bit-v2_Freedom.iso
linuxmint-17-mate-32bit-v2.iso
linuxmint-17-kde-dvd-32bit.iso
Windows-10-TechnicalPreview-x86-EN-US.iso
mint16@mint16 ~/Documents $ md5sum linuxmint-17-mate-32bit-v2.iso
fcb042667ade38fd6d39ef823979023c linuxmint-17-mate-32bit-v2.iso
mint16@mint16 ~/Documents $

and you then check that "sum" fcb042667ade38fd6d39ef823979023c against the published one from linuxmint to be sure the file you downloaded wasn't corrupted during the download. I've had them corrupted along the way to me, and then done a second download from same site and had it come uncorrupted. A corrupted ISO can be burned and often can boot and install the program, but depending on what part was corrupted during transmission, you can end up with some small problem, or something you never seem to solve without a good install from a good downloaded/burned DVD. Here's the page showing my downloaded Mint17MATE32bit file is good. http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=159

The next area you can have a problem is getting a good burn onto a DVD. Running the "integrity check" should let you know if that DVD wasn't burned correctly. If after it runs, it doesn't find any error, it will tell you to continue to boot.

Another method is to insert the DVD into the drive, go to the media folder where you can find the DVD, then run md5sum command on the MD5SUMS file that the "integrity check" uses, and get a readout of each section of the DVD, as shown below. Notice that if there is a space in the file or folder name, there must be a backslash added to skip over the space, in Linux. Linux doesn't like spaces in file/folder names.

mint16@mint16 ~/Documents $ cd /media
mint16@mint16 /media $ ls
guest mint16 mint17 mount1 truecrypt1 vfat
mint16@mint16 /media $ cd mint16
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16 $ ls
FAT32-1 Linux Mint 17 MATE 32-bit NTFS-W10 WIN2K-2
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16 $ cd Linux Mint 17 MATE 32-bit
bash: cd: Linux: No such file or directory
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16 $ cd Linux\ Mint\ 17\ MATE\ 32-bit
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16/Linux Mint 17 MATE 32-bit $
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16/Linux Mint 17 MATE 32-bit $ ls
boot casper dists isolinux MD5SUMS pool preseed README.diskdefines
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16/Linux Mint 17 MATE 32-bit $ md5sum -c MD5SUMS
./.disk/base_installable: OK
./.disk/casper-uuid-generic: OK
./.disk/cd_type: OK
./.disk/info: OK
./.disk/live-uuid-generic: OK
./.disk/release_notes_url: OK
./README.diskdefines: OK
./boot/grub/grub.cfg: OK
./boot/grub/loopback.cfg: OK
./casper/filesystem.manifest: OK
./casper/filesystem.manifest-remove: OK
./casper/filesystem.size: OK
./casper/filesystem.squashfs: OK
./casper/initrd.lz: OK
./casper/memtest: OK
./casper/vmlinuz: OK
./dists/trusty/Release: OK
./dists/trusty/contrib/binary-i386/Packages: OK
./dists/trusty/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz: OK
./dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages: OK
./dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz: OK
./dists/trusty/non-free/binary-i386/Packages: OK
./dists/trusty/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz: OK
./isolinux/16x16.fnt: OK
./isolinux/am.tr: OK
./isolinux/ast.tr: OK
./isolinux/back.jpg: OK
./isolinux/be.tr: OK
./isolinux/bg.tr: OK
./isolinux/bootlogo: OK
./isolinux/bs.tr: OK
./isolinux/ca.tr: OK
./isolinux/cs.tr: OK
./isolinux/da.tr: OK
./isolinux/de.tr: OK
./isolinux/el.tr: OK
./isolinux/en.tr: OK
./isolinux/eo.tr: OK
./isolinux/es.tr: OK
./isolinux/et.tr: OK
./isolinux/eu.tr: OK
./isolinux/fa.tr: OK
./isolinux/fi.tr: OK
./isolinux/fr.tr: OK
./isolinux/ga.tr: OK
./isolinux/gl.tr: OK
./isolinux/he.tr: OK
./isolinux/hr.tr: OK
./isolinux/hu.tr: OK
./isolinux/id.tr: OK
./isolinux/is.tr: OK
./isolinux/isolinux.cfg: OK
./isolinux/it.tr: OK
./isolinux/ja.tr: OK
./isolinux/ka.tr: OK
./isolinux/kk.tr: OK
./isolinux/kn.tr: OK
./isolinux/ko.tr: OK
./isolinux/ku.tr: OK
./isolinux/langlist: OK
./isolinux/lo.tr: OK
./isolinux/lt.tr: OK
./isolinux/lv.tr: OK
./isolinux/mk.tr: OK
./isolinux/mr.tr: OK
./isolinux/nb.tr: OK
./isolinux/nl.tr: OK
./isolinux/nn.tr: OK
./isolinux/pl.tr: OK
./isolinux/pt.tr: OK
./isolinux/pt_BR.tr: OK
./isolinux/ro.tr: OK
./isolinux/ru.tr: OK
./isolinux/si.tr: OK
./isolinux/sk.tr: OK
./isolinux/sl.tr: OK
./isolinux/splash.png: OK
./isolinux/sq.tr: OK
./isolinux/sr.tr: OK
./isolinux/sv.tr: OK
./isolinux/te.tr: OK
./isolinux/tl.tr: OK
./isolinux/tr.tr: OK
./isolinux/uk.tr: OK
./isolinux/vesamenu.c32: OK
./isolinux/vi.tr: OK
./isolinux/zh_CN.tr: OK
./isolinux/zh_TW.tr: OK
./pool/contrib/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_1%3a018-2_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/b/bcmwl/bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu2_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/b/bogl/bogl-bterm_0.1.18-9ubuntu1_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/e/efibootmgr/efibootmgr_0.5.4-7ubuntu1_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/l/linux-wlan-ng/linux-wlan-ng_0.2.9+dfsg-5_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/m/mouseemu/mouseemu_0.16-0ubuntu9_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/n/ncurses/ncurses-term_5.9+20140118-1ubuntu1_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/s/setserial/setserial_2.17-48_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/t/tasksel/tasksel-data_2.88ubuntu15_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/t/tasksel/tasksel_2.88ubuntu15_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/u/ubiquity/oem-config-debconf_2.18.8-1linuxmint2_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/u/ubiquity/oem-config_2.18.8-1linuxmint2_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/u/ubiquity/ubiquity-frontend-debconf_2.18.8-1linuxmint2_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/w/wvdial/wvdial_1.61-4.1_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/w/wvstreams/libuniconf4.6_4.6.1-7_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/w/wvstreams/libwvstreams4.6-base_4.6.1-7_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/w/wvstreams/libwvstreams4.6-extras_4.6.1-7_i386.deb: OK
./pool/non-free/s/sl-modem/sl-modem-daemon_2.9.11~20110321-9_i386.deb: OK
./preseed/cli.seed: OK
./preseed/linuxmint.seed: OK
md5sum: WARNING: 6 lines are improperly formatted

Don't worry about the 6 lines warning above, it's just the first 6 commented lines in the MD5SUMS file which the developers forgot to comment out with a # tag. I downloaded mine from the University of Maryland mirror site, since it's closest to me.

Collapse -
REPLY to James D.
by 69Rixter / November 10, 2014 2:17 AM PST

Afternoon:

Thanx for responding and the information. Your not the first to suggest the md5sum check. I'll admit, I'd have to learn a bit more in order to perform that check correctly. Let me state this: I'm getting a disc directly from Ubuntu/linux. Do you believe that such a disc would NOT have an "error". So that when I load/install from it, I SHOULD be getting an uncorrupted/clean install? I'd like to say, also, that I had major difficulties with Ub 12.04 and does it sound possible to get "corrupted" .iso from both 12.04 and now LM17? Is there a possiblility that I'm performing the install incorrectly? It just seems to be to big a 'coincendence" to get a 'bad" .iso "from the source" twice?!
THANX:
Rick

Collapse -
If it was direct from Ubuntu
by James Denison / November 10, 2014 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: REPLY to James D.

I would expect the disc to be good. You are able to boot to the disc, but not get it installed properly? What is your computer system? Is your hard drive using GPT partitioning or MBR type? Do you have a windows system already on the drive, if so, which one? If you can run the following commands in terminal we can check that.

sudo parted -l

sudo blkid

sudo fdisk -l

inxi -v7

In that last you can remove IP and MAC addresses for privacy.

Also, if you have a flashdrive that is over 8GB in size, preferably a 16GB one, have you trieddoing a full install to that flashdrive to see if the same problem happens as when installing to the hard drive?

Collapse -
REPLY TO : James Denison & itsdigger
by 69Rixter / December 9, 2014 2:48 AM PST

Hey:

I'm responding in this thread for I cannot find the other thread concerning the problems I have with the operation of certain media programs.
In the discussion I asked if an "upgrade"(LM17.1) would install the missing files/ rebuild and or repair? I'm not trying to 'have all the latest, nor think I'm getting 'all the bells and whistles". I'm wondering if, by not using a pendrive or CD 'install", I'd be getting 'everything" (all files, codecs, headers and drivers) via an "upgrade"? Does that make any sense?
I cannot figure out what's going on...i.e. do I have a hardware problem or is it a software failure? I feel it's a incomplete O.S., but then if that's so, what in the **** is causing it? Almost 5 months and through 3 "complete wipes/re-installs, I've been grappling with this. I heard you when you suggested reverting to a 32bit, but I don't see what that would accomplish(?). I had the cam and Soundjuicer working properly(as far as I could tell) with 12.04 64bit. Then, again, I had other constant, ongoing problems w/12.04.(internet, "disappearing" files and D/l's; strange/unresolved issues with bittorrent). Yes, I hear you, just go back to 10.04 as I've commented on earlier. That may be what I end up doing, but I'm a bullhead and want to remedy this problem via LM17. As I've learned from LINUX, it's always a simple fix, however finding the 'fix" is not always simple. Gentlemen, THANK YOU for all your input and patience!
RICK

Collapse -
that page is at page 2
by James Denison / December 9, 2014 5:07 AM PST
Collapse -
REPLY to: James~~ That page is now page 2
by 69Rixter / December 9, 2014 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: that page is at page 2

James:

I am aware of the multiple pages for posts. Can't say why that particular 'post" didn't show up, but then when I posted my reply, THEN it apperared?? I honestly think my laptop has an evil mind of it's own and just loves to *#%^ with me. OK, I've decided to, once again, to D/l and re-install LM 17 (or possibly Xubuntu). What I need to do now is this:
partition the HDD so that what I have on it (files) stays on it and I seperate (by partition) the O.S from the exisiting files. Pretty sure I can do that, but then I need to know how to direct the "O.S." to install to the designated partition and not wipe the entire drive.(I'm sick of re-building files) I'm telling you/everyone, if this does not work/install properly and completely, you WILL hear of a mushroom cloud forming over central Ohio and I'll never again have problems with this laptop nor Linux!!!! Guess it's back to the Linux tutorials. Oh, BTW, I used the D/l site you recommended.
Rick

Collapse -
you should have your data backed up first
by James Denison / December 9, 2014 10:01 AM PST

to be safe. What you want is to boot to a LIVE DVD and use the GParted, or if a KDE variety the KParted partitioning program. You open it and check all the drives, how they are setup. In the partitions graphical display you avoid the highlited parts and only create another partition from the backside/rightside of free space. For a newbie, NEVER mess with the front of the first partition, or you can lose your boot completely.

Here's two images, first is GParted being used on a 16 GB USB flashdrive.

http://glenburniemd.net/Linux/Kingstron16GB_Mint14-Gparted.jpg

second is KParted doing the same thing on another 16 GB flashdrive

http://glenburniemd.net/Linux/Kingston16GB_Kubuntu_Kparted1.jpg

Just for fun, here's t he Kubuntu I was installing at the time.

http://glenburniemd.net/Linux/Kingston16GB_KubuntuDesktop1.jpg

Notice on both you can see the hilighted data areas, gparted is yellow, kparted is salmon colored.

That means on both, t he white space to the right of each I can create a new partition from. I would set it to shrink the partition, by moving the right side toward the data area. The space that was left would then be able to create as a new partition and format, in this case on flashdrive I'd use ext2 file system, but ext4 on a hard drive, reason not important at this time.

Here's one that is a bit complicated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBnVGLiRmdw

Here's where someone else is installing a Linux distro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKL1tmn-xC0

Plenty of videos available there of creating, moving, changing, shrinking partitions, and many on installing.

All you absolutely need is just ONE partition, that's the easiest installation method on a flashdrive, but for hard drive install one intends to be their main system, should have 3 partitions, one for the system on root /, one for /home, and one for SWAP that's equal or 1.5 times the size of RAM, although I think there shouldn't really be more than 6GB devoted to the SWAP, it being overkill. If not using hibernate (and often hibernate doesn't work right no matter what you do) then 2-4 GB is fine.

You just have to be careful, pay attention to what you are doing, easy to make a mistake, but remember, there's an "Undo" you can use in the program, and nothing gets done till you have seen how it will look, then you "Apply" what you've setup for the program to do.

Collapse -
she has good videos
by James Denison / December 9, 2014 10:33 AM PST
Collapse -
REPLY TO : James--partitioning
by 69Rixter / December 10, 2014 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: she has good videos

Afternoon:

Must THANK YOU once again. Pertinent info concerning partitioning. Here are my intentions:
1. To create one partition that houses music..{ /music} allotted to 57 Gb
2. Create 2nd logical partition to house O.S.{ /root../home} allotted to 17Gb
3. Create 3rd logical partition to house swap{/swap} allotted to 3Gb
This leaves approx 2.3 Gb unallocated. What I want to do is partition Hdd that already has the music on it. Hoping that using Gparted will allow me to do so, then, from now on, I'll only use the 2nd partition(ext4) for the O.S. I'm under the impression I can direct the "new" LM17 to install to the ext4 partition through using the 'install" program (once loading the "install" I use "something else" from options and direct O.S. to "load" onto ext4 partition). So, can I format ext4 prior to O.S install? If so, how?
This method I'm trying to employ....does it sound logical/likely to you. The only drawback I could foresee would be moving the /music into it own partition...in other words..IF it will allow me to do so. Does ANYONE see a flaw in the plan?
Stay Sharp:
Rick

Collapse -
no need to move music
by James Denison / December 10, 2014 8:53 AM PST

Linux can access it from where it now resides on the hard drive and play it. It installes to ext* type partitions but can read and write to NTFS and FAT32 partitions too.

Collapse -
While your'e waiting
by itsdigger / November 11, 2014 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: REPLY to James D.

for a disc from Ubuntu/Mint why not try another distro ? I've tried a bunch of Ubuntu's and have had similar issues but tried others without problems

Try PCLinuxOS here => http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/

It's always been good to me.

If you have at least a dual core processor you can use 64 bit ...
burn an ISO and check it out....

Digger

Collapse -
Corrupt O.S D/l (every time?)
by 69Rixter / December 5, 2014 3:42 AM PST

Hey James:

I'd be laughing if this weren't so damn infuriating. I did as you suggested (md5sum) in terminal and did not find anything like what you posted for an example. Look, I simply cannot believe that EVERY O.S. I've D/l over the past 2+yrs. is corrupt(5 in all). Can you believe that is possible? Now, after reading your instructions, I cannot even find how to check the thing????? This is almost unbelievable! Let me ask, what is YOUR procedure for D/l & install of any desired O.S? I go straight to the source for my D/l(Linuxmint or Ubuntu homepage) and select the D/l from one of the provided entities. I use either Unetbottin or, recently, USB image writer to "load" onto a pendrive. Then use the "install" provided w/ the "live" O.S.(from the pendrive). 2+ yrs now...2+ yrs now, I've been fighting Ubuntu/Linuxmint to "get it right". As much as I want to stay with Ubuntu/Linux, I can't take this any longer. Perhaps I should move on to another derivative ??? I don't know!! When I checked the dmesg log file, there wasn't even any listing for any media devices (no 'codes" between [4] and [17], where media codes would fall in the [16] brackets. So, yes, corrupt O.S(?)incomplete O.S. (?) obviously! But why and how do I keep from getting a "corrupt" O.S, for I cannot see where I am doing anything wrong. I wish to Thank You for responding and for your patience, for mine is just about run out.
Stay Sharp:
Rick

Collapse -
there are different versions to meet
by James Denison / December 5, 2014 5:58 AM PST

different country laws. There are some "no codec" versions and an "OEM" version. If this is for you and no legal problems, be sure to NOT get those. You can see that here. You have 4 with "no codecs" and 2 that are "OEM" versions.

If you install one of those, then you have to do all the installation of the codecs, hopefully available from the Package Manager.

Without more information, there's not much more I can do. If you have nothing on the hard drive worth saving, then download software from the manufacturer of that hard drive and run it's diagnostics on it.

Collapse -
Media failures in LM17
by 69Rixter / December 5, 2014 7:52 AM PST

James:

Just this afternoon, "multimedia" codecs showed up in the LinuxMint "welcome" page (home page", and I immediately installed them (I think). Still, no webcam operation! Excuse me for not posting specs of my laptop, I'll do so now: [HP2000-210~ HP VGA integrated video cam~LinuxMint17 cinnamon64bit~ Intel Pentium CPU P6200@ 2.13 GHz x2 (dual core)~ Intel Corp. Processor Integrated Graphics Controller~ 3Gb RAM~ 80GB Hdd]
Ocassionally, the webcam does operate, albeit only for 7-20 secs. As per a suggestion, I ran 'cheese" from the 'live"(install CD/pendrive)LM17 and cam operated for just over a minute (?). {don't know what, if anything, to make of that} I checked output the audio on the cam and it was/is working {again, don't know what to make of that} I opened and read dmseg.log and saw there were no "codes" pertaining to [16] codes, which is where the media/webcam codes should be listed. In fact, dmesg codes jump from 4 to 18 (no 'codes" listed between 5-17). Now, with my limited knowledge, this suggests and incomplete O.S. pkg. install (corrupt). So, I'd be interested in what you make of it. I cannot get VLC, Cheese nor Guvcview to operate the cam as they should. Guvcview suggests I "check for proper drivers", Cheese says "No Device Found" and/or "Error Playing Video", VLC states "Unable to open the MRL 'v4l2:// Check the log for details".
Well, there you have it and I hope this is enough info to figure out what the problem is. As always, should you need any other info/readouts, don't hesitate to ask. Personnally, I'm at wit's end with this. Oh, one last detail: the cam worked with 'cheese" when I had/ran Ubuntu 12.04 (if that means anything)
I'm certain I D/l the LM17 from a safe source: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php but something's going horribly wrong from D/l to install. I've D/l'ed LM17 5x from this site....so.....???
James, or ANYONE, as always, I appreciate any advice/help you could lend toward solving this dilemma!!
Stay Sharp:
Rick

Collapse -
Sounds like one of my old laptops
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2014 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: Media failures in LM17

While it's some Acer 5570 it coughs and doesn't run many Linux versions at all. Hangs and more. While it is "on paper" as a 64 bit machine, I found I had to run 32 bit versions of Linux as well as try a few before I could find one that didn't need special startup switches. This varies with each distro but many offer some safe mode so always try that.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=46 is my go to forum for Linux Mint boot troubles. HP has some bummer laptops out there so scout around for company.
Bob

Collapse -
cheese or cheese-common
by James Denison / December 5, 2014 9:47 AM PST

explanation below the code section

============================= CODE SECTION
mint16@mint16 ~ $ aptitude show cheese
Package: cheese
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 3.10.2-0ubuntu2
Priority: optional
Section: gnome
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: i386
Uncompressed Size: 407 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6~), libcanberra-gtk3-0 (>= 0.25), libcheese-gtk23 (>= 3.4.0), libcheese7
(>= 3.5.1), libclutter-1.0-0 (>= 1.13.2), libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 (>= 0.91.8),
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.3), libgnome-desktop-3-7 (>= 3.2.0),
libgstreamer1.0-0 (>= 1.0.0), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.4.4), cheese-common (= 3.10.2-0ubuntu2),
gnome-video-effects
Recommends: gvfs, gnome-icon-theme, hicolor-icon-theme, nautilus-sendto, yelp
Suggests: gnome-video-effects-frei0r, gnome-video-effects-extra
Description: tool to take pictures and videos from your webcam
A webcam application that supports image and video capture. Makes it easy to take photos and videos
of you, your friends, pets or whatever you want. Allows you to apply fancy visual effects,
fine-control image settings and has features such as Multi-Burst mode, Countdown timer for photos.
Homepage: http://projects.gnome.org/cheese/

mint16@mint16 ~ $ aptitude show cheese-common
Package: cheese-common
New: yes
State: not installed
Multi-Arch: foreign
Version: 3.10.2-0ubuntu2
Priority: optional
Section: gnome
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 3,617 k
Depends: dconf-gsettings-backend | gsettings-backend
Breaks: cheese (< 2.30.1-1)
Replaces: cheese (< 2.30.1-1)
Description: Common files for the Cheese tool to take pictures and videos
A webcam application that supports image and video capture. Makes it easy to take photos and videos
of you, your friends, pets or whatever you want. Allows you to apply fancy visual effects,
fine-control image settings and has features such as Multi-Burst mode, Countdown timer for photos.

This package contains the common files and translations.
Homepage: http://projects.gnome.org/cheese/

mint16@mint16 ~ $ aptitude show libav-tools
Package: libav-tools New: yesState: installedAutomatically installed: noVersion: 6:9.16-0ubuntu0.14.04.1Priority: optionalSection: universe/videoMaintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>Architecture: i386Uncompressed Size: 9,574 kDepends: libavcodec54 (>= 6:9.1-1) | libavcodec-extra-54 (>= 6:9.16), libavdevice53 (>= 6:9.1-1), libavfilter3 (>= 6:9.1-1), libavformat54 (>= 6:9.1-1), libavresample1 (>= 6:9.1-1), libavutil52 (>= 6:9.1-1), libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.7), libgnutls26 (>= 2.12.17-0), libgsm1 (>= 1.0.13), libmp3lame0, libopenjpeg2, libopus0 (>= 1.0.3), librtmp0 (>= 2.3), libschroedinger-1.0-0 (>= 1.0.7), libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.11), libspeex1 (>= 1.2~beta3-1), libswscale2 (>= 6:9.1-1), libtheora0 (>= 1.0), libva1 (> 1.3.0~), libvorbis0a (>= 1.1.2), libvorbisenc2 (>= 1.1.2), libvpx1 (>= 1.0.0), libx264-142, libxvidcore4 (>= 1.2.2), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.0)PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2~)Suggests: frei0r-plugins (>= 1.3)Conflicts: ffprobeReplaces: libavcodec-extra-53 (< 4:0.6~)
Description: Multimedia player, server, encoder and transcoder Libav is a complete, cross-platform solution to decode, encode, record, convert and stream audio and video. This package contains the avplay multimedia player, the avserver streaming server, the avconv audio and video encoder, and the avprobe stream analyzer. They support most existing file formats (AVI, MPEG, OGG, Matroska, ASF...) and encoding formats (MPEG, DivX, MPEG4, AC3, DV...). Additionally, it contains the qt-faststart utility which rearranges Quicktime files to facilitate network streaming. This package also serves as a replacement for the former 'ffmpeg' package.Homepage: http://libav.org/
==================================== END CODE SECTION

Make sure you install the cheese-common. I'd probably install everything that wasn't installed but says "cheese" on it from the Package Manager. Notice the "cheese-common" is 6 times larger and both breaks and replaces "cheese". This is just to show that. To install you could also run this code in terminal.

sudo apt-get install cheese-common

Also be sure to install the libav-tools if it's not already installed. If you do as I did above and run

aptitude show libav-tools

you can find if it's installed, also can see that using Package Manager.

If you then still have problems, let us know, we can search some more for any HP specific driver that might be needed.

</ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com></ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>

Collapse -
I downloaded it today
by itsdigger / December 6, 2014 10:16 AM PST

from the same site you did and burned it to a disc and it installed just fine.
Nothing missing here....
Just sayin'

Digger

Collapse -
Reply to itsdigger
by 69Rixter / December 7, 2014 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: I downloaded it today

Evening:

Oh, I don't doubt the authenticity of the site. I beleive I questioned that I'd gotten a corrupt D/l each time. So, hmmmm...what is going on (wrong) for the D/l to the install? Seriously, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong as far as getting it to the pendrive, yet when I checked the dmesg.log, it didn't list any files from [5] though [17] and correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding files [16] are where the media/video files should be? Incomplete O.S.? Obviously! Corrupt O.S. well possibly/probsbly(?) 2 questions now.....
#1. They now have LM17.1 UPGRADE. If I were to run/install the "upgrade" would doing so rebuild/install the missing files; the incomplete O.S? #2. Any ideas on what could be causing incomplete install (if indeed that is the problem) of O.S? Maybe I should point out this cam worked in Ubuntu 12.04 using cheese, so I'm certain the cam is funtional..i.e. -no hadware problems. Let me, once again, post my laptops specs:
{HP2000-210~ HP VGA integrated webcam~ LM17 cinnamon 64bit~ Intel Pentium CPU P6200@ 2.13 GHz x2~ Intel Corp. Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller~ 3Gb RAM~ 80Gb Hdd}
I'd apprecite any help/advice you or ANYONE knowledgable/experienced would care to offer in regards to getting this problem corrected.
THANX:
Rick

Collapse -
yes
by James Denison / December 7, 2014 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to itsdigger
Collapse -
Reply To James--"Option 3"
by 69Rixter / December 8, 2014 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: yes

James:

Option 3.....which would be ?
Rick

Collapse -
The "Method 3" that is mentioned there
by James Denison / December 8, 2014 5:13 AM PST

It will do what you wanted, or you can just reinstall itself on top of itself but might want to rename your user folder or back it up first, just in case. That whole thread goes into a lot of detail about the methods of installing an upgrade and the same applies to a reinstall of the same version.

"If I were to run/install the "upgrade" would doing so rebuild/install the missing files; the incomplete O.S? #2. "

Collapse -
Well
by itsdigger / December 7, 2014 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: Reply to itsdigger

Lot's of folks have trouble with Ubuntu/Mint and flash drives and looking in the Linux forums I see you've had troubles with Ubuntu/Mint before.

Why not try the 32 bit version as R. Proffitt suggests
or
find a distro that works for you. I tried Mint again and it still doen't have the right Graphics driver for the new Nvidia cards yet and neither does Debian and they won't be for quite some time as Debian Testing is locked down now ,so I chucked them both for Sabayon which is Gentoo and Manjero which is Arch based and both are cutting edge and are running great.

Don't fall victim to that "distro watch B.S" and get stuck in a rut...

Digger

Collapse -
bumblebee
by James Denison / December 8, 2014 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Well

have you tried that one for the newer Optimus card? It has to be installed from Package Manager. Works on some, not all.

Collapse -
Who me?
by itsdigger / December 8, 2014 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: bumblebee

sure, I tried it with both Debian testing and Ubuntu and Mint and the Graphics were supurb BUT,
say I went into the start menu, Everything was so tiny I couldn't read anything or in Settings, same thing. And I'm using a 32 in. screen
If I opened the web browser , everything was perfect.

Sabayon is working just fine and Manjero too.
My neice is gonna be getting my i3 Linux computer and I,m gonna put together another for myself and has the Nvidia 750ti .
We talked about it here back in September => http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-626449/building-a-spare-part-and-slightly-used-parts-computer/?messageId=5611482#message5611482

So I'll leave this i5 /Nvidia computer for Linux and the other for Windows.

Digger

Collapse -
Nvidia is good in Linux
by James Denison / December 8, 2014 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Who me?

that nvidia-settings program makes it all very easy to deal with. Yesterday I loaded the fglrx driver, tried both versions of it, and the AMD CC programs (both versions) onto my Mint to see if after updates it would run. Nope, had to revert back to the native Linux driver for the ATI Radeon video chip I have, and uninstalled the Catalyst software for it. I think the graphics acceleration from vendor driver is needed for compiz to work correctly, which is now included in the 17.1 Mint update. Guess I'll find out if I update to the latest version "rebecca".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!