Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Safe Mode problem

by Deanc517 / December 15, 2008 1:31 AM PST

I have an HP laptop running XP Pro. I started having problems with windows locking up and the only way to unlock it was to power down. When I power up I get the CHK DSK screen and it would get through the first stage and then hang up at 27% of the second stage. If I skipped the CHK DSK screen I could get it to boot up, enter my password and then work a bit til it froze again. I thought there might be a virus so I ran my AV software but that locked up also. It seemed that as long as I didn't tax the system too much it would work but as soon as I opened more than one document or another program it would hang.

I thought maybe starting in safe mode would help so I selected that option in the boot menu of msconfig. Now it boots up in safe mode but won't recogognize my password. I am using the same one I used in normal windows and it doesn't work - I checked Caps lock and tried all different variations of my password but it won't work.

In working with HP tech support they said the HD is toast and sent a new one but there are a few files I want to get off this one prior to sending it back - if I can get back to normal windows then I think I can get to the files but I can't get it to start up in anything other than safe mode - even going to F8 and selecting 'Start windows normally' option.

Any suggestions as to how to either get rid of the password or get it to stop booting in safe mode?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safe Mode problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safe Mode problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's fix the password.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2008 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Safe Mode problem

Type NTPASSWD at google.com and now you find the free tool to set that password for the accounts.

This should let you back in, at least to the point that the OS is damaged or not.
Bob

Collapse -
Reset links
by Deanc517 / December 15, 2008 2:27 AM PST

Thanks - I have tried those links as it seems like this one (home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd) is mentioned in a lot of threads but the links don't seem to be working - maybe the website is down for now. I'll try again later.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!